Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #181
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Mine just started using oil too. I have about 120hrs and 2700 miles since August. Seems kinda early to be using oil.
Mine 2027ks and 40.7 hrs.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #182
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 775
Yea buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
I've got a 12' 500 xc-w, and would like to put a Rekluse on it. I was wondering if any of you have experience with it on a 500 and which model of Rekluse you've used? I don't race or compete, it's a trail rider and semi duel sport. I do plan on doing some single track Colorado and Utah this year. I like bullet proof stuff. Rekluses are all pricy, but $600 is better than $900!
I have a Rekluse in my 13 500 EXC and I highly recommend it. I have the $600 unit. (EXP?)

Makes an already supremely capable bike...better. Chugs way down low and just rips through the gears. The Rekluse allows you to concentrate on your line. Throttle, body position...increases comfort and reduces fatigue.

Just bang gears up and down and never lose momentum.

Let us know.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #183
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Mine just started using oil too. I have about 120hrs and 2700 miles since August. Seems kinda early to be using oil.
I don't have any direct experience with oil consumption on the new FI motor... but, here's what I learned on the previous one.

- Oil sight glass is not 100% reliable. Check volume you pour in, vs. volume that comes out for absolute consumption level.

- An engine that consumes oil, even a lot of it, will often show no visible smoke. My 500 smokes at startup a bit (as does my brand new 450) but it does not seem to equate to actual consumption.

- If the bike starts consuming oil all of a sudden, not in a gradual way, on the old motor it was typically lifted valve guide seals. Pull the valve inspection cover, and shine a light into the valve springs to see if any of the seals are poorly seated or riding up on the valve.

- If the motor gradually starts consuming oil, it's probably the oil scraper ring being worn. But sometimes, it's just a glazing problem. Go back to running dino oil (non synth) for a change or two, and sometimes the oil scraper ring will reseat.

- Don't be afraid of a ring/ valve guide seal job. It's neither particularly difficult or expensive.

Curious to hear what you learn!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #184
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
YAHBO:
Thanks! I've talked to Rekluse and will take your advise. I know a lot of very good riders that swear by them. Pull'n the trigger!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #185
YAHBO
Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
YAHBO:
Thanks! I've talked to Rekluse and will take your advise. I know a lot of very good riders that swear by them. Pull'n the trigger!

Fucking sweetness, right there.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #186
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I don't have any direct experience with oil consumption on the new FI motor... but, here's what I learned on the previous one.

- Oil sight glass is not 100% reliable. Check volume you pour in, vs. volume that comes out for absolute consumption level.

- An engine that consumes oil, even a lot of it, will often show no visible smoke. My 500 smokes at startup a bit (as does my brand new 450) but it does not seem to equate to actual consumption.

- If the bike starts consuming oil all of a sudden, not in a gradual way, on the old motor it was typically lifted valve guide seals. Pull the valve inspection cover, and shine a light into the valve springs to see if any of the seals are poorly seated or riding up on the valve.

- If the motor gradually starts consuming oil, it's probably the oil scraper ring being worn. But sometimes, it's just a glazing problem. Go back to running dino oil (non synth) for a change or two, and sometimes the oil scraper ring will reseat.

- Don't be afraid of a ring/ valve guide seal job. It's neither particularly difficult or expensive.

Curious to hear what you learn!

Thanks for the info, I will pay closer attention to the amount of oil I drain out next time. It does smoke at start up as well, but that seems normal. I will keep you posted on the results.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #187
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,144
Quote:
Ned- have you seen rings for sale for the 500s that don't include the cylinder- as depicted on the fiche displayed on Munn Racing? Are they the same part as the 530? - both are 510 ccs
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #188
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 85
Need assembly checklist.

Does anyone have an uncrating/assembly checklist for a 2013 KTM 500 EXC?

Apparently they don't come with one anymore. Yes, I could put this together in an hour but, I would like to have a checklist.

Thanks.

2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
BillUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #189
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 621
More like a disassembly list!

Check the PDI list in the briefcase, and read this...

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=440785&st=0
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #190
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom View Post
Check the PDI list in the briefcase, and read this...

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=440785&st=0
Thanks, I do have the Wee Betsy thread tagged.

There was no PDI list in my briefcase. That is why I am asking if anyone has it in PDF form.

Cheers
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #191
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillUA View Post
Apparently they don't come with one anymore. Yes, I could put this together in an hour but, I would like to have a checklist.
I've assembled a few of them, aside from the obvious assembly to complete, my list includes:

Grease:
- steering head bearings top and bottom
- swingarm pivot

Anti Seize
- Rear wheel adjuster bolts (both sides)

Check:
- Spoke tension (esp after first few rides)
- Inline fuel filters (consider adding/ replacing with Golan or CanAm)
- Use strong solvent to clean oil from rotors before riding the first time, otherwise the brakes are never what they can be
- Drop air pressure from normal delivery level of ~50PSI (don't ask me how often I've forgotten this step)

HTH!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #192
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
I've assembled a few of them, aside from the obvious assembly to complete, my list includes:

Grease:
- steering head bearings top and bottom
- swingarm pivot

Anti Seize
- Rear wheel adjuster bolts (both sides)

Check:
- Spoke tension (esp after first few rides)
- Inline fuel filters (consider adding/ replacing with Golan or CanAm)
- Use strong solvent to clean oil from rotors before riding the first time, otherwise the brakes are never what they can be
- Drop air pressure from normal delivery level of ~50PSI (don't ask me how often I've forgotten this step)

HTH!
Thanks Neduro. Those are most of the things I do also.

I did pull the stem apart to install my stabilizer and I could not believe how little grease was on the bearings from the factory!

I mean it's as if they just wave a can of grease in front of them as they go down the assembly line!

My tires were at 30 psi. I aired them down to 13...

For the first start, I had kicked it over a couple of times just to circulate some oil. Then, I turned the key on and hit the button. The bike fired immediately!

I am amazed how quiet this thing is. All I did was run down the street, but I can tell I am going to like this thing!

Up next, DeSmog, re gearing and suspension work for my wt, 215.
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams

BillUA screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 09:50 PM
Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #193
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillUA View Post
Thanks Neduro. Those are most of the things I do also.

I did pull the stem apart to install my stabilizer and I could not believe how little grease was on the bearings from the factory!

I mean it's as if they just wave a can of grease in front of them as they go down the assemble line!

My tires were at 30 psi. I aired them down to 13...

For the first start, I had kicked it over a couple of times just to circulate some oil. Then, I turned the key on and hit the button. The bike fired immediately!

I am amazed how quiet this thing is. All I did was run down the street, but I can tell I am going to like this thing!

Up next, DeSmog, re gearing and suspension work for my wt, 215.
My steering stem bearings were well greased on my EXC when I was in there.

So what are you going to do for gearing?? It is a good idea to change it. I am getting tired of telling people that mine is geared too high! I am thinking of going for the stock XCW gearing but am afraid that will kill my mileage on my long distance trip next month.
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #194
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post

So what are you going to do for gearing?? It is a good idea to change it. I am getting tired of telling people that mine is geared too high! I am thinking of going for the stock XCW gearing but am afraid that will kill my mileage on my long distance trip next month.
MM, I'm going with 14x50 and a new chain. I'll try running that here in the mountains of Nevada and Utah and see how that goes...

Cheers
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #195
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post

I have a '13 XC-W 500. It came with 13/50. I installed a 14T CS just to make it a little easier for street. For the local trails around here it works great. It has the power to handle this. I have NOT tried to see what top speed is though although i'm sure 85-90 is doable.
I was able to use the stock chain also. Last Dualsport ride I went on, I saw an average of 54 MPG. Not bad for a race bike.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219

woodzrider screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 08:05 AM
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote