User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
snapspinnr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Plates for Transporting a vehicle back to my home state

I'm thinking about buying a car in MA, flying up and bringing it back home to NC. Has anyone ever done this? Legally? It seems like I can't get a temp tag for MA without paying MA taxes and I can't get a temp tag from NC without a title? Whats a car buying flying fool to do?

Do you hear that? That is the sound of inevitability.
snapspinnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
WayFar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I've done this before, and I just kept the PO's plates, and put it on my insurance policy. If the PO won't let you keep the plates, then you've gotta figure out something else I suppose.

1973 FL
2006 Uly
WayFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,893
Get a PERMIT to move the vehicle. Basically a paper plate for display in rear window.

Of course I live in a practical state.

I got at local DMV and it was good for 2 weeks. Paid taxes, etc when I got home. I just needed a sales receipt.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Last time I lived in MA, they did not issue temp or transport plates. MA DMV is horrible. Avoid that beauroctatic, hostile institution at all cost. As others have suggested, see if you can use the sellers plates and mail them back once you get the vehicle home.

The other option you have is to see if your home state is reasonable and will issue temp plates for you.

Whoops, just reread your post, only option I see is using the sellers plates.

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Ride fast and travel at night.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,508
I just purchased a motorcycle in Richmond Virginia and went to the DMV there (much research prior to leaving) and was able to purchase a 3 day temporary tag which is a copy of the permit, not even a look alike tag for $5 bucks. But to ride a motorcycle to New Mexico from Virginia in 3 days is not feasible. So I took my NM plate off my Honda XR and have it mounted on the bike. If I get pulled over, I will tell the truth and explain my reasoning. Plus I have insurance, bill of sale, title, etc. What else can you do? I have stopped to visit with my Mom and soon to head out to finish my 2000 mile jaunt and camping on a dirt bike.

Maybe in the worse case grab your plate off your car, be sane and no reason to get pulled over?

I know, what kind of bike?
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Once you leave the state the bike was registered in it doesn't matter if the tag is expired or not. The best thing would to either get a temp tag or leave the original tag on the bike until you get home. If you use the tag from another bike it would cause more problems than it would be worth if the police ran the tag.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,508
I was hoping the original owner would allow me to use his tag until I made it home but he did not seem keen on the idea. At least my bike has a plate and I have added some local decals and personalized it a bit. Having no plate on the bike would be very suspect and I would likely get pulled over for that reason. Also the Virginia DMV said the temp tag is good in any state, but for only 3 days.

Wing it I reckon.
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Make an "In Transit" tag. Many places you can down load the paper tag from the DMV's website or you can also make one yourself.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote