Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Tusker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Homemade Epoxy Paint for Cement?

Hey Guys,
I have a cement floor in my house that I'd like to paint as opposed to using other traditional floor coverings. One reason for this is that I live in Ethiopia, and the normal first world options are imported and therefore extremely expensive. Normally, I'd be looking for some sort of epoxy garage floor paint, but this isn't available here. I have heard of people mixing their own cement floor covering from commonly available materials, but I'm not familiar with the formula.

Does anyone know of a way to make an epoxy-type floor paint? It doesn't necessarily have to be epoxy-based, but I'm really just looking for a paint mix that I can put together that would adhere well to paint and be durable.

Any ideas?

Ethiopia Trip 2010
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 204
http://www.inia.es/gcontrec/pub/211-...0654248296.pdf

http://www.bipcons.ce.tuiasi.ro/Cont...?ArticleID=116 I think those might be useless links?

Make sure the floor is fairly smooth and fill in any cracks and holes.
Then, clean it sweep it and lay down a thin layer of resin (mix in paint?...) and toss some beach sand on it until its covered. very light topping. let it dry a day. Sweep off all excess sand and re-coat with resin. squeegee the resin so its even and let it dry.
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Langanobob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
You might consider checking with EEPCo to see what they use for their power facilities. Or some of the local hardware stores, you've probably done that. I wonder how a basic latex house paint would work thinned out as a concrete stain. Might be worth an experiment in a small area.

I worked in Ethiopia a few years ago at a geothermal energy project, found it to be a great place, fascinating culture and people. As sometimes happens to me, I spent all my time working with no time for riding or exploring.

We tried to think of manufacturing businesses to start there to help Ethiopia with exports, maybe a paint manufacturing facility would work?

Bob
Langanobob is offline   Reply With Quote