User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
nitsuj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
1200GS leaking final drive

Ok, so I'm working on my friends 2005 1200GS. I replaced the final drive fluid, following the instructions on r1200gs.info, to the letter. Now there is a small amount of fluid leaking out of the black circular cover on the right side of the final drive. It's a tiny leak. I don't think anything I did changing the FD fluid could have caused it, but since I'm the last guy who touched the bike, I feel somewhat responsible. What would cause a small leak from that cover? Is there a seal behind it? Easy fix by chance?
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
gregseto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
There should be an o-ring between the fd and the sensor. Did you wipe the fd clean after you filled it? It could just be some residual fluid.
gregseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
nitsuj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did clean the o-ring. But that isn't where the leak is. It's on the right side of the bike. Coming from the black circular cover on the outside of the FD case.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
jabandsnort
a mighty fly dancer

Oddometer: 192
Blown seal? How much fluid did you put in? What viscosity?
This happened to mine after my fisrt fluid change, I got freaked and took it to the dealer. They told me I had a bad seal and replaced it under warrantee. Now I just ride with my fingers crossed....
jabandsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
nitsuj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I put in 180 ML. Carefully measured. The oil was Amsoil. Don't remember the weight, but it's the right stuff.

I assumed I had a leaky seal. What I'm trying to figure out now is if it's an easy fix from the outside, or a "Take the whole damn thing apart" type fix.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
drdata
R1200GS

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj
I put in 180 ML. Carefully measured. The oil was Amsoil. Don't remember the weight, but it's the right stuff.

I assumed I had a leaky seal. What I'm trying to figure out now is if it's an easy fix from the outside, or a "Take the whole damn thing apart" type fix.
Pics?

When I did mine, I cleand up all the surfaces with a degreaser. Later after a ride in the dirt it was clear that some new oil seepage had attracted more dirt, but not what I would call a leak. No drips on the floor. Before the swap there was a simmilar level of greasy dirt, so In my mind no real change.

Regards
Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
nitsuj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I didn't take pics of the leak, sorry. It's easy to imagine though. You have that ring on the right side of the final drive case. Imagine a very small amount of oil seeping out from under it. If you wipe it off, in 30 miles, its back. No puddles, no drips. Just a light weeping. If it were my bike, it probably wouldn't be sever enough that I'd mess with it yet. But the bike belongs to someone else, and I was the last person to touch it. I think I'm going to replace the seal under that little black cover.

Below is a picture of the Final drive case (Picture not of actual bike). You can see the circular cover I'm talking about. On the end of the axle. Small amount of fluid leaking there. I'd draw arrows to it, but I'm a newer Mac user and can't find a built in program to do it.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,627
It is a pretty easy user friendly repair.

Pry off the black cover, remove the clip and carefully pry out the seal. Use the old seal to tap in the new one, install clip and cover, and make sure the fluid level is good.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
nitsuj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Excellent, that's that I suspected, thanks Jim. Let me ask you this, do I need to drain the fluid again to replace it, or is the level of the fluid below the bottom of the seal?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,627
Quote:
Excellent, that's that I suspected, thanks Jim. Let me ask you this, do I need to drain the fluid again to replace it, or is the level of the fluid below the bottom of the seal?
Depends on how much you lost, but count on losing some fluid as the level at the bottom of the seal is above the 9:00 drain bolt which is 180ml at the bottom of the threads give or take 5ml.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
drdata
R1200GS

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
I didn't take pics of the leak, sorry. It's easy to imagine though. You have that ring on the right side of the final drive case. Imagine a very small amount of oil seeping out from under it. If you wipe it off, in 30 miles, its back. No puddles, no drips. Just a light weeping. If it were my bike, it probably wouldn't be sever enough that I'd mess with it yet. But the bike belongs to someone else, and I was the last person to touch it. I think I'm going to replace the seal under that little black cover.

Below is a picture of the Final drive case (Picture not of actual bike). You can see the circular cover I'm talking about. On the end of the axle. Small amount of fluid leaking there. I'd draw arrows to it, but I'm a newer Mac user and can't find a built in program to do it.
Ah, OK. I was refering to the inside flange. Where the silver outer case mates with the darker wheel falnge or such. I've not noticed any wetness on the outside platsic cover as you describe.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
bonjing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
It is a pretty easy user friendly repair.

Pry off the black cover, remove the clip and carefully pry out the seal. Use the old seal to tap in the new one, install clip and cover, and make sure the fluid level is good.

Jim
hI Jim,

Do you know the part number of the seal ? I live in a very remote are and I like to have the new seal on hand before i remove the old seal. Btw, my bike is 07 r12gs. Thanks
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
leahyz
Gigantic Tool

Oddometer: 471
Check for play.

I had the same seal leak. Since I had an extended warranty it went to the dealer.

It came home with a whole new FD. Apparently there was some small amount of wobble perceptable in the bearings. Fortunately for me the warranty covered it all.

Z

2006 Pacific Northwest Trip - Gone Wanderin...
2008 Trans-Am Trail Ride - TN & MS
leahyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing
hI Jim,

Do you know the part number of the seal ? I live in a very remote are and I like to have the new seal on hand before i remove the old seal. Btw, my bike is 07 r12gs. Thanks
Seal Part # 33117679862
Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,685
That is about as easy as it gets.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote