Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #46
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoz View Post
I'm planning on being there.
I got a 350F which I think should do fine. Ive spoken to one of the organizers and he said it will be tighter this year and not so fast, he recons if the bike can do 120 it should be fine. I'll change the gearing a bit to make sure the bike does not rev its head off. ;)

He also mentioned the longest stage is somehting like 150k and there is a fule drop. So I'm thinking of not investing in a Safari tank & use the standard tank instead. I normally can easily get 120k out of it & have some left so I recon I should be ok particularly if I use a bigger countershaft sprocket and / or a fewer tetth in the back. No sure yet, I'd maybe go with the second option to also effectively lengthen the wheelbase.

I'm also trying to get my roadbook & IMO sorted.

The only issue I have is I'm not sure my wife will be happy to play support crew.
Ok I KNOW she won't be happy. Any chance we can organize an ADV support model?
Probably worth considering that the fuel stop will most likely be within the stage (ie while fuelling you will be losing time). If you are worried about these things then maybe a larger tank will be the go? I could be wrong, but for the last few years the fuel stops worked this way.

Drag your missus along, it is a good fun family event! What's the worst that can happen?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #47
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 145
the worst thing that can happen ... listening to her complain all the way back to Sydney (and then some)

I'll drag her along all right but it's a bit unfair to ask her to stand in the dust & wait for me.

Yes the fuel drops are part of the stage but a tank + fuel pump (350F is EFI) are AUD 1000 so I'd try to avoid that until I absolutely need it. Reality is I'm not going to break any speed records anyway.

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #48
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
the worst thing that can happen ... listening to her complain all the way back to Sydney (and then some)

I'll drag her along all right but it's a bit unfair to ask her to stand in the dust & wait for me.

Yes the fuel drops are part of the stage but a tank + fuel pump (350F is EFI) are AUD 1000 so I'd try to avoid that until I absolutely need it. Reality is I'm not going to break any speed records anyway.
All good, I was just checking you knew what was going on!

It is quite a social event, I've crewed twice now and enjoyed it a lot. Ya never know, she might have more fun than you!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #49
geoz
Orange rules

she knows what it's like although she never helped me out - she was too busy racing herself albeit in a car.

hg
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #50
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,447
Ah yep the BRP will be doing Condo this year
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #51
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
The only issue I have is I'm not sure my wife will be happy to play support crew.
Ok I KNOW she won't be happy. Any chance we can organize an ADV support model?
Don't tell her about the huge mozzies then.
michael1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #52
geoz
Orange rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
Don't tell her about the huge mozzies then.
Thanks mate.
I'm dead.

hg
Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #53
The Misinformant
What road?

Oddometer: 349
Thinking about this year.

So far its 2 starts and one finish. Certainly want to improve the ratio.

Problem is the Condo bike looks like it needs a new loom and the KTM 640 would need a steering damper (and the course seems unlikely to suit the 640ADV this year).

Run out of money buying mountain bikes.

Oh and the date clashes with something else with the new date.

RF900R - Gone.
TTR250 - Gone.
CB500 - Gone.
TS185 - Gone and sorely missed.
Z50 - Gone.
The Misinformant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,888
Gonna have a crack , looks like a lotta fun. Never used any nav aids but it should atleast give me a slight educated start to Safari 2013.

The 540 is a bit thirsty, might have to strap on the 44 liter 990 tanks.

Look forward to meeting up with all of the adv crew there!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #55
ROKIT_71
BergTragic

Oddometer: 179
I'm back again this year. 3rd time and enjoyed it every year. Reading Condo website the course is suggested to be tighter which would be good. I found last year’s course was better than the previous year and apparently this year’s course is in the same part of the shire.

I spoke with Geoff Smith at safari last year and the reason for not been on Easter weekend was that they always struggle with volunteers as everybody is away at Easter. Format should work well I reckon. Prologue and Leg 1 Saturday morning.

There's 2 of us going. My riding partner will be on his 570 Berg and I will be on a 501 Berg.

Looking forward to meeting up with some old ADV'ers and hopefully meeting some new ones.

Thankfully that thing with all the wheels over it will be battling with the cars and not bothering bikes. Cheers Gaz.

I'm planning on the 9.5 litre fuel range been ok. Will run 14/50 gearing. As for tyres will run a Michelin M12 XC on the front and Michelin AC10 on the rear with Michelin M16 Mousse front and M02 Mousse Rear.
ROKIT_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #56
TasMini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Best time of the year

I'm back again this year as well with my dad and little brother.

This will be my 5th Condo and have loved every second on the little 250. I even scored a class win one year!!!!

I say it's the best time of year because it's the only real bike related event I can put in my calender and stick to.
I hopped on my bike twice last year, one 80km trail ride and the Condo 750.

I have never been a fast rider, or even a particularly good one! (which can be difficult to take when your family owns bike shops, and your brother rides at a State level).

I'm overweight, slow on the bike, have limited mechanical knowledge and ride the smallest class machine you can at Condo. But none of that really matters, cause I have the time of my life whenever I roll out of control from the showgrounds every morning.

Condo has given me a racing format where I can succeed against myself. I don't have to feel slow and useless with competitors come flying past me, because nobody can see, your out in the middle of a paddock .

I have discovered that if I ride at my own pace, that's good for about 10 places in the outright standings due to DNF's.
And if I work really hard on my Nav, I should outpace a lot of the Noobies.

My 2 goals for Condo every year are:
1 - Finish healthy
2- Beat my previous outright position.

So if your just a weekend warrior like me (which 99% of us on here are) come to Condo this year!!!!
You get to rub shoulders with the Pros and see how they do it.
You get to ride some AMAZING country - Remember the view from that big rocky hill last year
You get to meet the most amazing local people that give up so much of their time, so we can do what we love!
And most of all, you will have something special that you can make your own.......
It can be your stress reliever, your fitness motivation, something to challenge you mentally and emotionally or.... it could just be an excuse to get on your bike and RIDE as fast as you dare!!!!

Stay safe everyone. Hope to see lots of new faces this year!!
TasMini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #57
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,888
You've sold me!Made me smile reading your post, love your spirit
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #58
Ianbmw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Me Too

I"m in as well. Or at least have sent entry off with cheque. Need to sort out Competition licence, RTA permit, service crew, bike and how to get there. Nothing like comitting to force you into getting off your arse and doing it I guess. I am a pretty average rider but wouldn't like to go through the rest of my life wondering what it is like to have a go at something like this.

I will be on a KTM 350 which I have ordered a manual F2R roadbook holder for and will be using the standard tripmeter.

This could possibly be the most expensive trail ride I have ever been on.

Look forward to catching up with others,

Ian
Ianbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #59
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasMini View Post
I'm back again this year as well with my dad and little brother.

This will be my 5th Condo and have loved every second on the little 250. I even scored a class win one year!!!!

I say it's the best time of year because it's the only real bike related event I can put in my calender and stick to.
I hopped on my bike twice last year, one 80km trail ride and the Condo 750.

I have never been a fast rider, or even a particularly good one! (which can be difficult to take when your family owns bike shops, and your brother rides at a State level).

I'm overweight, slow on the bike, have limited mechanical knowledge and ride the smallest class machine you can at Condo. But none of that really matters, cause I have the time of my life whenever I roll out of control from the showgrounds every morning.

Condo has given me a racing format where I can succeed against myself. I don't have to feel slow and useless with competitors come flying past me, because nobody can see, your out in the middle of a paddock .

I have discovered that if I ride at my own pace, that's good for about 10 places in the outright standings due to DNF's.
And if I work really hard on my Nav, I should outpace a lot of the Noobies.

My 2 goals for Condo every year are:
1 - Finish healthy
2- Beat my previous outright position.

So if your just a weekend warrior like me (which 99% of us on here are) come to Condo this year!!!!
You get to rub shoulders with the Pros and see how they do it.
You get to ride some AMAZING country - Remember the view from that big rocky hill last year
You get to meet the most amazing local people that give up so much of their time, so we can do what we love!
And most of all, you will have something special that you can make your own.......
It can be your stress reliever, your fitness motivation, something to challenge you mentally and emotionally or.... it could just be an excuse to get on your bike and RIDE as fast as you dare!!!!

Stay safe everyone. Hope to see lots of new faces this year!!
Geez Taz you nailed it.
Who cares where you finish, just finish. Its all about the participation, beating personal goals and having the time of your life. I'd encourage anyone with an itch to have a go.

The Condo folks are just awesome. You WILL feel welcome and if YOU are realistic in your ability then I guarantee a brilliant weekend. Who knows? A lot of people start with Condo and end up a crack at Safari.

If your interested in Off Road Rally, Condo is the perfect place to get your toes wet.

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #60
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
Geez Taz you nailed it.
Who cares where you finish, just finish. Its all about the participation, beating personal goals and having the time of your life. I'd encourage anyone with an itch to have a go.

The Condo folks are just awesome. You WILL feel welcome and if YOU are realistic in your ability then I guarantee a brilliant weekend. Who knows? A lot of people start with Condo and end up a crack at Safari.

If your interested in Off Road Rally, Condo is the perfect place to get your toes wet.
+1 sylvia

tasMini = best CONDO 750 thread post... EVER!

Have a ball ya'all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote