Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #166
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Hi GDD - customers have managed to install the head guards on while the BMW bars are mounted, but you'll have an easier time if you pull the crashbars first.

Thanks!

Check out the ADV Motorrad vendor thread for great deals on adventure gear!
rotaryracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #167
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I've been asking about BUMOT panniers in a different thread but see you distribute Holan too, which have a nicer shape and are offered in grey (but no toolbox!)

What are the other primary differences in these systems?
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #168
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvesurfer View Post
I've been asking about BUMOT panniers in a different thread but see you distribute Holan too, which have a nicer shape and are offered in grey (but no toolbox!)

What are the other primary differences in these systems?
Hey Curvesurfer - great question! We're fortunate enough to be the North American distributor for two of the best "Adventure-grade" pannier systems on the market.

There are different benefits to each system...some of the highlights:
  • BUMOT has the optional integrated locking toolbox, keyed alike to your panniers. It's a very slick system and a great use of otherwise unused space.
  • Both use 2mm aluminum in their construction. BUMOT overlaps the lower floor section a bit more, providing a 4mm thick protective "ring" all the way around the perimeter of the pannier. Holan has similar construction - the overlap is not quite as much, but the benefit is still there if the bike goes over. The 2mm material really helps prevent deformation and/or collapse in case of an "off" versus cases made from 1.5mm aluminum.
  • Both use heavy duty bespoke racks that double as a rear crashbar for the bike if the bike takes a nap.
  • Holan cases have hinged latches at either end, allowing you to fully disconnect the lid or tilt from one end or the other. BUMOT cases have fixed friction hinges on the side, and the lid can't be removed - good for making sure you don't lose it when you forget to latch it....don't ask me how I know.
  • Holan cases have a few more options when it comes to sizing, finishes, rack material, etc. You can get mild steel or stainless steel racks, natural aluminum, matte gray, or matte black pannier finishes, and three different size panniers on all systems. There are also other factory installed options such as lower strap brackets, ADV toolboxes to mount underneath the panniers, etc. that are available.
  • BUMOT includes many of the options that others (including Holan) charge separately for. Powdercoating inside and out is standard. Lock cylinders (keyed alike) in all the latches are standard. Quick release top case plates (if desired) are available and at a lower cost, versus the bolt-down design for Holan. When spec'd out the same, a BUMOT system will come in at lower price point than Holan and/or almost any of the other similarly designed systems, while still providing an incredible level of quality.
  • Holan has a more traditional 8-sided case design versus the 4-sided BUMOT design. You don't lose any capacity with the BUMOT cases due to notched corners, but some people prefer the aesthetics of the 8-sided design. The BUMOT cases have almost a "hot rod" look....very clean lines, minimal add-ons, beautiful finish work.
  • Holan has a full stainless steel reinforcement rib between the mounting points on the back of the case, which adds additional strength and prevents the case wall from tearing or punching through. No one else on the market offers this.
Net-net, it's like trying to decide which is your favorite child. From a function and usability perspective, you can't go wrong with either, it largely comes down to what options and/or aesthetics are most important to you. These systems both easily compete and surpass some of the better known offerings in the market and I continue to get positive feedback from both BUMOT and Holan customers on the quality and construction.

Hope this helps...

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #169
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Super helpful, thanks!

I hadn't noticed the different lid hinge design.

I prefer the shape and colors of the Holan, and the reinforced rib is appealing.

But the toolbox of the Bumot is a killer feature, and the ability to match a quick-release top box (which seems to be a rare option) is nice too. They also seem to have better availability.

Decisions decisions....leaning towards Bumot...
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #170
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Hi Jason

I've scanned this thread, but probably missed it... There is a Touratech rack option for the DSBP Raid toolbox, but I don't see any pics. Is the box the same shape as what is pictured? How does it differ when attaching to TT pannier racks?

I have a few other TT items that are all keyed the same. I know it's a longshot, but gotta ask - any chance that toolbox uses the same lock and can be keyed to match my locks?

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #171
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
Hi Jason

I've scanned this thread, but probably missed it... There is a Touratech rack option for the DSBP Raid toolbox, but I don't see any pics. Is the box the same shape as what is pictured? How does it differ when attaching to TT pannier racks?
Hi Dave - happy to help! The raidbox for Touratech racks is identical to the OEM version; the only change is to the front mounting system. The crossbrace that the OEM mounts to is in a different position on the TT racks, so an adapter is required to move the retaining clamp up. Here's a picture of the Touratech-specific bracket...the OEM mounts just use the U-clamp attached to the nose of the box to grab the crossbrace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
I have a few other TT items that are all keyed the same. I know it's a longshot, but gotta ask - any chance that toolbox uses the same lock and can be keyed to match my locks?

Thanks.
Unfortunately not. The raidbox uses a fairly basic cam-arm lock that's quite a bit different than most of the pannier lock cylinders I've seen. It's possible if you spent some quality time with a locksmith you might be able to find a lock that would work and could be rekeyed to match your Touratech gear, but it would definitely be a longshot.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #172
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,313
Any coupon codes floating about and any idea on the availability of the Holan boxes? (F800gs)

-Sent from outside your window

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #173
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Any coupon codes floating about and any idea on the availability of the Holan boxes? (F800gs)

Hi DomEOD - no promos running at the moment, but this is the thread to watch for any upcoming sales. We've tried to be as competitive as possible on the systems we import, despite foreign exchange rates going the wrong way as of late.

We will have another order going in to Holan in a couple of weeks, and (depending on options selected) would expect delivery ETA around 45-60 days from then (end of May to mid June). We saw that timeline extend out a bit due to the pre-season rush, but am expecting that timeline will continue to decrease. The F800GS system has been a very popular application for us and works and looks killer on those bikes!

If you're looking for something sooner, I do have one BUMOT system left in stock for the F800GS. We have been absolutely gobsmacked that you can get the level of build quality and fanatic attention to detail at the price point we're able to get them at. The one I have already has the optional 4.5L integrated toolbox mounted, comes with pannier inner bags (removable if not needed), and is available in matte black. I also have a quick release top case mount and top boxes (keyed alike) to match, if interested. If you haven't see the BUMOT systems yet, you can click here for the BUMOT thread on ADVrider, or on any of the pictures below to be linked to the product page on our site.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #174
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,313
Thanks for the quick response. After some research, I'll be ordering the BUMOT system within the next week or so.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #175
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Thanks for the quick response. After some research, I'll be ordering the BUMOT system within the next week or so.

Let me know if you have any questions prior to placing your order...happy to help!

Thanks...

Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #176
WilCon76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Does the DSBP toolbox for Holan racks on the Tiger Explorer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Writers love readers. Follow me on http://rideapart.com/author/bill-connor/ and http://2wheelsandamotor.com/
WilCon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #177
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilCon76 View Post
Does the DSBP toolbox for Holan racks on the Tiger Explorer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Bill - probably not as-is. I think the Holan racks fit a bit tighter than the Touratech racks, and the toolbox mounts to the crossbracing of the Touratech racks (which is probably in a different location on the Holan racks). Net-net, you probably could get it to fit, but it would require some custom brackets to be fabbed up and time spent figuring out how to get it to work. If it would help, I can get you the measurements of the bike and the location of the rivnut mounting holes to see if it's possible.

I'm hoping to get DS Bike connected up with Holan (or Holan's distributor in Spain) to get access to bikes with Holan racks so that we can add that application to the catalog. I'll definitely post up here as soon as I have a bolt-on application ready to go!

Thanks again...

Old 04-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #178
WilCon76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Thanks for being able to decipher that half finished thought I typed.

Writers love readers. Follow me on http://rideapart.com/author/bill-connor/ and http://2wheelsandamotor.com/
WilCon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #179
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 196
F800GS Holan racks and Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags courtesy of Jason and ADVmotorrad:

Bags are just mocked up, they aren't strapped down securely:

And yes, the racks fit with the Akrapovic exhaust, with a slight bit of modification that anyone with a ball peen hammer can DIY:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=107
Solo Ride Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #180
rotaryracer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
F800GS Holan racks and Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags courtesy of Jason and ADVmotorrad:

Bags are just mocked up, they aren't strapped down securely:

And yes, the racks fit with the Akrapovic exhaust, with a slight bit of modification that anyone with a ball peen hammer can DIY:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=107
lookaught, thanks for the pics - the bike looks great!