ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kaw4Life's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 6,030
Call me old school, call me an asshole but I do not know why anyone would go with this option.
Kaw4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer
 
cchoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Land of Grits and Gravy
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
Call me old school, call me an asshole but I do not know why anyone would go with this option.
I bought my 2013 off the showroom floor and it came with the safety package which consists of ESA and ASC, so that's why I have it. I like the ESA but haven't tested the ASC so far.
__________________
Charlie...
Stalking Light
'13 F800GS Kalamata Metallic
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
biodieselandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
I bought my 2013 off the showroom floor and it came with the safety package which consists of ESA and ASC, so that's why I have it. I like the ESA but haven't tested the ASC so far.
Same here. Good luck finding a bike that doesn't have both. The safety package only adds ~$600 so it is well worth it to have the ESA. I don't mind the ASC, It's nice to have for street riding especially in the rain, but it is just as easy to switch off (If they fix the issue).
__________________
2013 BMW F800GS, Cordoba Blue, ASC, ESA, ABS
2012 BMW G650GS - 13,000 miles ***SOLD***
"If you're not mixing gas, you're not hauling ass!"
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kaw4Life's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 6,030
Here is what I am leery of ...

XR600R Clutch Replacement Kit $106

F800GS Clutch Replacement Kit $450

What happens when these systems (ABS, Etc) start to fail?

Dont get me wrong, 800 = GREAT BIKE.

Stuff that I dont need that raises the TCO is just marketing and Insurance company BS.

All that said I am going to do some research on ABS. All I know is that on my 1200 it makes the rear wheel go nuts when I am too hard on the rear brake scaring the shit out of me increasing my stop time as a result.

Kaw4Life screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 04:19 PM
Kaw4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
BamaTexRider
MOTO-MIKE
 
BamaTexRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Alabama and Texas
Oddometer: 42
I am old school i guess i just bought what i needed, ABS is all i got, and it turns off well. Works for me, Great Bike
BamaTexRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
RandoCommando OP
Wannabe
 
RandoCommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Philthadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloktmGS View Post
My new 2013 has this issue as well. Anyone know specifically what to tell the dealer to get it corrected?
Tell them the traction control stays on despite turning it off.
There is a recall that corrected mine.
Should be the same for yours.
__________________
1999 KLR 650 (her name is KLaRissa) DOOHICKEY DONE!
2013 BMW F800GS (her name is FranGelicaS)
Please. Ride careful, ride safe, ride defensively! This thread should be mandatory reading!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
coloktmGS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SW MO
Oddometer: 263
Dealer fixed asc today, MUCH BETTER, With that on in the dirt, the bike was a lot less fun.
coloktmGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #23
Ceri JC
UK GSer
 
Ceri JC's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: All over, usually Wales or England
Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
Call me old school, call me an asshole but I do not know why anyone would go with this option.
I'm inclined to agree. On a litre sportsbike? ABS, TCS and whatever electrickery you can stick on there to help me go faster, I'll buy. Sidestand sensor to stop me riding away with it down? Great!

On something that gets smashed into rocks and dropped in rivers? The less electronics the better, please. I have ridden F800GSes with ABS, with the ABS disabled and without ABS. I would choose the latter every time unless it was going to be used as a road bike. The fact that BMW's own Offroad school hobbles the ABS as part of "setting the bikes up" for the season is pretty telling. Yes, there might be a button/process to turn it off temporarily, but when it "fails safe*" and turns itself back on after you stop for lunch, sooner or later, you will forget to disable it. Just hope that it only manifests itself as 'weird braking' on the flat as opposed to you crashing down a steep descent.


*safe meaning "what a road rider would want, because that's how most of these bikes get used".

RE: ESA; I was looking at a GSA 2012 as a new bike a while back. I liked ESA, but was put off by the cost it'd pose to replace when the suspension is worn out after 40K miles.
__________________
I like my bike because I can overtake 4x4s down farm tracks with a week's worth of shopping on the back.
Ceri JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #24
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I'm inclined to agree. On a litre sportsbike? ABS, TCS and whatever electrickery you can stick on there to help me go faster, I'll buy. Sidestand sensor to stop me riding away with it down? Great!

On something that gets smashed into rocks and dropped in rivers? The less electronics the better, please. I have ridden F800GSes with ABS, with the ABS disabled and without ABS. I would choose the latter every time unless it was going to be used as a road bike. The fact that BMW's own Offroad school hobbles the ABS as part of "setting the bikes up" for the season is pretty telling. Yes, there might be a button/process to turn it off temporarily, but when it "fails safe*" and turns itself back on after you stop for lunch, sooner or later, you will forget to disable it. Just hope that it only manifests itself as 'weird braking' on the flat as opposed to you crashing down a steep descent.


*safe meaning "what a road rider would want, because that's how most of these bikes get used".

RE: ESA; I was looking at a GSA 2012 as a new bike a while back. I liked ESA, but was put off by the cost it'd pose to replace when the suspension is worn out after 40K miles.

Hard to find a BMW without ABS and probably even harder to sell it if you ever want to. Simple solution is the switch from Burnsmoto, which lets you easily select permanently on/off settings for the ABS with the flick of a switch.

Nice to have it for riding on wet asphalt, only trade-off is about 1.5 kgs of extra weight.
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #25
RandoCommando OP
Wannabe
 
RandoCommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Philthadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,328
Software Update

Ok.
I just wanted to post this update that it was NOT a recall, but simply a software update to get the traction control issue working properly.
That is all.
__________________
1999 KLR 650 (her name is KLaRissa) DOOHICKEY DONE!
2013 BMW F800GS (her name is FranGelicaS)
Please. Ride careful, ride safe, ride defensively! This thread should be mandatory reading!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #26
soph9
Bike Addict
 
soph9's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Oddometer: 2,269
yep we got the update on Cheryl's VIN...my F800 was fine...all is good in the traction off world now...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
litfuse1200
n00b
 
litfuse1200's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 2
I took my new GS out for its first ride in the gravel yesterday and had the exact same issue, no matter what i did it just kept stuttering and missing, it's great on the road, but not when it gets loose. Spoke with my dealer today and they didnt know there was an issue. It's booked in tomorrow. the only other issue, when the lights on the dash are on, is the system activated of not. Bloody confusing. I had the bike stuttering up a hill with the lights flashing and the moment I hit the button it seemed to stop, but around the next bend on the next loose bit away it went with the lights flashing. I stopped the bike and held the button down for a good ten seconds and both traction control and abs lights stayed on, but the moment that I moved off they started flashing and it started stuttering again. Bloody frustrating, i'm all for technology but when its crap its crap.
litfuse1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Shed :o)
Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuse1200 View Post
I took my new GS out for its first ride in the gravel yesterday and had the exact same issue, no matter what i did it just kept stuttering and missing, it's great on the road, but not when it gets loose. Spoke with my dealer today and they didnt know there was an issue. It's booked in tomorrow. the only other issue, when the lights on the dash are on, is the system activated of not. Bloody confusing. I had the bike stuttering up a hill with the lights flashing and the moment I hit the button it seemed to stop, but around the next bend on the next loose bit away it went with the lights flashing. I stopped the bike and held the button down for a good ten seconds and both traction control and abs lights stayed on, but the moment that I moved off they started flashing and it started stuttering again. Bloody frustrating, i'm all for technology but when its crap its crap.
Read the threads and tell your dealer that it only needs a remapping.
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
F800GS - The ORANGE ones are faster!!

R1150GSA SE


Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 704
I have a F650gs twin with ABS, and I usually turn it off whenever offroad.. However I noticed last time I was out, i kept stopping and starting and left it on at one stage, down rocky and muddy terrain it really comes into play with the standard gearing, you see std gears arent low enough to provide enough engine braking going down hills but keep ur foot on the rear brake and it works awesome! keeps the bike at total idle!

But id still recommend it to be off on gravel roads as it just doesn't pull up on them.. a simple stop n hold ABS button turns it off so not a big issue, i wish you could do it while riding though,

So ABS for mud/hard rock = great!
gravel = not so great!

my 2 cents..
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #30
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer
 
rmhrc628's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The high country VIC
Oddometer: 2,313
So why would you buy a bike with the traction package ? Any Offroad 800 would quickly find the limits of the ESA and tc wouldn't they?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014