User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
The TAT on a GSA?

I am sure many have done it but I had a question.

I am a confident rider and have raced MX and roadracing over the years. I have grown past my daredevil years and matured a fair amount and gotten more into touring up to 6-700 miles a day on my R1100RT.
Now I am looking to combine and do some ADV style touring and I am looking at a R1150GSA that is well equiped for FULL adv tours.

What I am looking for is any input on folks who have done the TAT on a full size ADV bike like the GSA and how did you like it? Regrets? What would you have done differently?

I am looking at doing it alone and mostly tenting it with the occasional hotel for a good nite sleep and a shower.
I am curious if anyone also has done the north south ride AND the east west ride and which the prefered?
I live in So Cal so the N/S version is a good start I think, but I am not afraid to ride east and try the east west first if that is a better ride.

Thanks folks.

PS: I have done a "search" and it keeps coming up too common to find....links are fine if anyone want to connect me too previous questions like this
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
There are long sections you will love, and other sections when you will need to be awake.

Just go.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
I am sure many have done it but I had a question.

I am a confident rider and have raced MX and roadracing over the years. I have grown past my daredevil years and matured a fair amount and gotten more into touring up to 6-700 miles a day on my R1100RT.
Now I am looking to combine and do some ADV style touring and I am looking at a R1150GSA that is well equiped for FULL adv tours.

What I am looking for is any input on folks who have done the TAT on a full size ADV bike like the GSA and how did you like it? Regrets? What would you have done differently?

I am looking at doing it alone and mostly tenting it with the occasional hotel for a good nite sleep and a shower.
I am curious if anyone also has done the north south ride AND the east west ride and which the prefered?
I live in So Cal so the N/S version is a good start I think, but I am not afraid to ride east and try the east west first if that is a better ride.

Thanks folks.

PS: I have done a "search" and it keeps coming up too common to find....links are fine if anyone want to connect me too previous questions like this
Since you're on a comfy 1200GSA.....ride it all the way on the slab East to TN and start from there going West to Colorado. > Tellico Plains, Tn..>>>>>..Salida, Colo. then from there decide whether the stretch is too much for you and the GSA. The eastern section should be OK, except a few stretches need attention..but as you said you're a seasoned rider then OK. Muddy sections where it rains or has rained might be problematic due to the weigh of the GSA.

I did my trip via GS but cheated with a Hack.

cheers....
Abenteuerfahrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

WOW...Abent..that is a GREAT shot. Thank you for posting. I personally am not sure if a hack is cheating or adding to the toughness. GREAT on you.

I am not ON a 1200GSA...I am looking at a 1150GSA, but close enough. I have an R1100RT right now but looking at a GSA so I can get back to a little dirt and off the beaten path.

That REALLY has me thinking more seriously.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
WOW...Abent..that is a GREAT shot. Thank you for posting. I personally am not sure if a hack is cheating or adding to the toughness. GREAT on you.

I am not ON a 1200GSA...I am looking at a 1150GSA, but close enough. I have an R1100RT right now but looking at a GSA so I can get back to a little dirt and off the beaten path.

That REALLY has me thinking more seriously.
One more shot to entice the Hack naive.

Taking a break on the High Desert of Oklahoma...very GS friendly stretch.

cheers....
Abenteuerfahrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,014
It can be done, just don't do it solo out west. There are deep sand in sections and big rocks in others. If you're a decent offroad rider who has done technical stuff on smaller bikes, I would say 95 percent of the TAT should be fine but the other 5 might give you difficulties.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 789
GS and packed gravel OK.
GS and mud or loose gravel/sand not so good.
GS is a road bike that is fun to take off road in the right conditions/terrain.
Been all over Death Valley offroad on my GSA with TKC knobbies in my younger days but finally getting wise.

I prefer not expending the energy fighting to keep the heavy GS upright and /or picking it up when it (and it will) goes down.

My DR650 is the type bike I would check out for serious continous offroading.
Goes plenty fast on pavement and light enought to pick it up all day.
Did the Copper Canyon/Oaxaca in Feburary and really enjoyed the DR650 for the entire 6 week 8000mile loop thru Mexico.

I've never done the TAT but have stayed at a Holliday Inn recently.

Have a great safe ride whatever you choose.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Thanks so much for the input everyone.
Quick question to add then, I plan on buying the roll chart, map, gps routes for the TAT, but does it list harder sections and give optional reroutes around those for a big bike?

You guys are great.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,982
i only rode from TN to Salida before turning north on the CDR, but an 1150GS would not be my first choice if you truly intend to follow the TAT route and not ride around every section you may find unsuitable for a big bike on that particular day. start by praying for good GS riding weather, because you're not going anywhere on a bunch of the TAT roads if they get wet.

hope you can pick that thing up by yourself should the need arise. the TAT has been crossed on a GS, you should contact one of those riders for a first hand account.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
The roll charts do show the big bike detours as I recall, but there were sections on the main trail that were more difficult that those with detours, if that makes sense. A talented rider can go just about anywhere on a GS with the right tires, but some of the steep and washed out roads in NV may give you problems. 'Don't know what it is like this year, but if you drop into one of those deep washed out spots you'll play hell getting the bike out. We had some very narrow places to put our tires, on the side hill, and then the wash would cross and you'd have no choice but to ride across it, or sometimes two side by side. Glad I had a light bike! One long loose hill, fairly steep, with fist sized rocks everywhere. You'll know it when you get there.

Have fun, and carry plenty of water! And a Spot, or better, just in case.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote