User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
Perun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
KTM 690 Enduro replacement tank bolts complete subframe reinforcement kit

Everything you need to fix all tank bolts issues (for pre-2014 models and for 2014 model):

First some common knowledge:

KTM 690 Enduro has known issue with upper tank bolts breaking. On this great model plastic gas tank is actually a subframe, connected to steel tube frame on four spots – two lower bolts and two upper bolts.

There is a hole all the way through lower section of gas tank.

Lower bolts are going through metal plate bolted to a steel tube frame, and then are bolted to the steel tube that is going all the way through gas tank.

As you can see, around steel tube, between the tube and gas tank, are rubber bushings. Those bushings are made of soft rubber and tend to deform easily. When they deform, lower mount is getting unwanted free play.
Because of that, pressure on upper bolts increase and they break. Upper bolts are not made of material strong enough to bear that additional pressure. In even worse scenario, little metal tab welded to the frame, where upper bolts are bolted to the frame, may crack.

There are few aftermarket solutions available, but none of them solves all issues involved. So, I made my own kit.

So, complete subframe reinforcement kit:

1. Upper parts - upper tank bolt caps and bolts.
Upper tank bolt caps are made of AISI 4140 steel, then heat treated (for added strength), then zinc coated (rust protection). That makes them virtually indestructible. Size of the head is standard – 27 mm.There is M6 threaded hole for plastic fairing.

Bolts are 10.9 machine bolts, zinc coated. These are much stronger then OEM upper tank bolts. 25mm long, so 1.5mm is in the bolt cap, when mounted on the bike. That is very secure connection.

2. Lower parts - lower bushings, steel sleeve, stud, nuts and washers.
Lower bushings are made of strong plastic, much stronger then OEM rubber lower bushings, yet gentle enough to be in close contact with plastic tank (rubber OEM upper bushings are kept, because completely rigid tank-frame connection wont be a good thing). Slightly different size, so they fit better (really minor differences in size).

Sleeve is made of AISI 304 stainless steel, without internal thread.

Long stud is made of AISI 4140 steel, heat treated (for added strength), then zinc coated (rust protection). Stronger then 10.9 bolts – very strong. Close fit through sleeve. Part of stud witch goes through steel plate welded to the frame is not threaded so fit is closer - that contributes to strength of this joint.

Washers are standard stainless steel washers and nuts are standard stainless steel safety nuts.

This is everything you need to fix all issues regarding tank bolts. Everything can be installed using standard tools, without advanced technical knowledge, in less then an hour. Including break for beer or coffee.
Practical, strong design and quality of materials were priorities, not aesthetics. This could look nicer and fancy (different coating), but price would go considerably up. This is not something I do for living, so I don’t plan to make money out of this, but I do tend to cover all expenses. Here are calculated prices:

Set shipped to USA - 88 USD.
Set shipped to Europe - 60 Euros.

I am using Serbian post office services, with tracking number. They are good, never lost a package. Yet. Usually it takes 20 days for USA and 15 days for Europe.

PayPal and credit cards accepted.

If interested, please visit www.perunmoto.com

There is difference between set for pre-2014 models and set for 2014 model. On 2014 model silencer mounts on lower bolt, so longer threaded rod is needed. When ordering, please state what year is your bike.

Perun screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 11:49 AM
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
Perun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Instructions and tips:

Go for a ride and go low on gas, so gas tank will be as light as possible. Wash your bike.

Install lower parts first. Don’t dismount upper bolts until you install lower parts.

Before installing new lower bushings and sleeve, use little amount of grease on bushings, inside and outside. Install both lower bushings half way in, then install sleeve. Then install bushings all the way. Tap bushings lightly with plastic hammer, if needed.

Bolt one nut to the stud, all the way. You may bolt both nuts all the way, then unbolt one (either one).

Center all parts accordingly (move tank up and down a bit), don’t use unnecessary force.

Don’t over tighten, 10 Nm is enough for lower parts (stud and nuts), and 15 Nm for upper bolt caps and bolts.

When installing upper parts, first install bolts, all the way in (no need to tighten it yet), then install bolt caps (may put few drops of Loctite 243). Move tank up and down a bit, if needed. Then tighten it (yup, 15 Nm).

Install side plastic covers using standard bolts, but add M6 washers (part of the set).

Note for 2014 models, for lower mounting point: on exhaust side use provided washer AND big stock washer.

Perun screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 11:33 PM
Old 02-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
PM with order sent
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,427
PM sent.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
antoniocadiz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
PM with order sent

thanks
antoniocadiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
Good looking kit at a fair price...

PM inbound!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #7
Roadie
2-Wheels Rule

Oddometer: 162
Waiting for my new bike. Then I will be ready for a 2014 kit.
Nice work!
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
wbedient
MoTard

I ordered a set and will post up a review when I get the parts installed.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #9
Perun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

UPDATE ON PROGRESS:

Set for 2008-2013. models will be ready for shipping on Thursday, 27. February.

As for 2014. model:

I made new, longer threaded rod/stud (actually I made three different versions) and it will be sent to an inmate (Sieg) for final testing.

If everything goes well, set for 2014. bikes will be ready for shipping in 10 days or so...
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
Perun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another update:

New, longer threaded rod/studs (three different versions) will arrive to Sieg for final testing in day or two (maybe three?)

Then I will have set for 2014 bikes ready.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,016
I received my set on Monday, but due to work have not done the install yet.
Product looks good, and with anything well made, will be a fit and forget type item.
Thanks Prerun!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
Another update:

New, longer threaded rod/studs (three different versions) will arrive to Sieg for final testing in day or two (maybe three?)

Then I will have set for 2014 bikes ready.
I am fitting my kit in the morning and will make a review for interested groups.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
wbedient
MoTard

I got my kit in the mail. Looks like good quality stuff. I'll post up a review after I install it as well.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-13-2014, 02:20 AM   #14
Perun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you for comments!

Thanks to Sieg, who did some testing on his new bike, I know exact measurement of threaded rod for 2014 models.

So, kit for 2014 model is available!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Yea, Perun sent me some "2014 prototypes" to test, as the lower mount is different than pre-'14. They're nice stuff and he does good work. With my feedback he should be able to make a good fit-up on the 2014's.

(And thanks for the free set for my trouble Nikola)