ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
allonsye OP
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 862
Opinions Please - Life In Maiden/Denver NC

Folks - I'm likely to receive a very attractive job offer in Maiden soon. Central and Charlotte NC areas look mighty attractive and on a par w/Front Royal, VA (near Skyline Dr) sans the associated N.VA crazy/heavy traffic. So, I'm likely to accept an offer.

I've been enjoying fantastic sport-touring through SW VA and WV from where I live. Maiden appears on the Aplchn. foothills too. Cost of living seems less than NVA which is very attractive to me especially. Feedback from you locals much appreciated especially w/respect to places to avoid and places to look towards w/respect to great places to live within 30-min driving to Laney's Airport. My inclination is to live towards the west near great riding but Lake Norman sure looks very attractive. Where's the best of both worlds?

Thanks.
Paul
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,008
Maiden, wow. I haven't heard about that town since my folks owned a store on Main Street when I was a kid. I grew up in Newton, a few miles up Hwy 321. So my information isn't remotely current, but I can talk about Catawba county. It's pretty nice - small town atmosphere. Pretty heavy Hispanic influence these days, I understand, as Smithfield's is pretty good about hiring them to work in pork processing plants.

Speaking of pork products, eat them. NC BBQ is tasty stuff.

Good riding is pretty accessible in the Boone area, about an hour up the road. Gets cold *quick* up there, though; it's one of the higher elevations in NC.

Charlotte is pretty nice, but it's a big city with all the positive & negatives it implies.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
allonsye OP
("lets go!")

The area sounds a lot like the Shenandoah Valley of VA. I'm jazzed about the possibility of small town life in a layed back atmosphere w/the excitement of a big metro area close by. As I'm aging I'm finding the colder temps less tolerable in the highland areas - heated clothes are on the Xmas shopping list. I should have a decision by the end of the month on a move or not.
06' 650 Vstrom
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,890
Eek

I'm not sure what you're used to, so I hesitate to compare. It will take the better part of an hour to get to the mountains proper. Depending on where you locate, you could be in some really nice street riding much sooner (like less than a half hour) as there is a clutch of roads just west of there. Not a ton, but enough for after work twisty action.

Hickory offers most of the amenities. You could be in Charlotte in 35 mins.

There are times when it's too cold and nasty to ride, but we have a legit 12 month riding season. I commute to work all year on my bike.

I am not familiar with the real estate market over that way, but I think the more you get toward Charlotte, the more expensive it will be. I live in Morganton, and it is a buyer's market right now. Lots of stuff for sale. It's sad.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
allonsye OP
("lets go!")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
I'm not sure what you're used to, so I hesitate to compare. It will take the better part of an hour to get to the mountains proper. Depending on where you locate, you could be in some really nice street riding much sooner (like less than a half hour) as there is a clutch of roads just west of there. Not a ton, but enough for after work twisty action.

Hickory offers most of the amenities. You could be in Charlotte in 35 mins.

There are times when it's too cold and nasty to ride, but we have a legit 12 month riding season. I commute to work all year on my bike.

I am not familiar with the real estate market over that way, but I think the more you get toward Charlotte, the more expensive it will be. I live in Morganton, and it is a buyer's market right now. Lots of stuff for sale. It's sad.
Thanks for the feedback Gaston. Here in Front Royal there's a "clutch" of twisties within 1/2 hr - even less as well. I was checking out Morganton already for housing and since it's the side of where the riding lies and beyond, will likely focus accommodations that area; renting of course for a time.

Your handle is familiar. Did you once offer vacation property for rent on adv? You appear of French decent as myself too.
06' 650 Vstrom