ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #31
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post
looks like haley branch road monte!

what you doing Sunday? still in atl?
That is another trail past the gorge overlook where it drops into a nasty gully. Turned around and barely made it out of there. The race is kinda long, hence our Sunday return.. Looking forward to the ride report for this one.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #32
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Looking forward to the ride report for this one.
We went to breakfast at Blacksmiths, looked at ADVRider.com on our IPhone V's, and got a little squeamish looking at Fullmonte's sleeping Tiger. We adjusted our (inadequate) packages, talked about how much better riders we are than that poor bastard, then rode slowly through downtown, and went home with images of our badassedness in our heads.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #33
Doulos
Doulos

Oddometer: 72
Ktm 950

That is a sweet bike! It is one on my bucket list for sure!
Doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #34
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Sorry, I got side tracked and stayed out too late....... this Morning........... ride report needed
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #35
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 6,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
We went to breakfast at Blacksmiths, looked at ADVRider.com on our IPhone V's, and got a little squeamish looking at Fullmonte's sleeping Tiger. We adjusted our (inadequate) packages, talked about how much better riders we are than that poor bastard, then rode slowly through downtown, and went home with images of our badassedness in our heads.

iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #36
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Dang fellas,i wish i would of seen thread a day earlier.I am over In Monteagle just hanging out today after playing around on the local roads yesterday ..
Old 10-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
Sr. Jman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I rode for the a couple hours. It was a small group: 3. We headed from Blacksmith's up to Aetna and over to 299 near Haletown. I headed home from there but AB and Squirrely headed towards Franklin SF. Wish I could have ridden the whole day.

It was a good day of riding for me. I dropped the bike enough to make it lots of fun. Hopefully we can get a group together from Chattanooga and ride again with more people!
-Jesse
Sr. Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #38
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Oddometer: 198
Dang... just saw this! would have loved to ride! Poking around out by ocoee right now... is the beer still an option? Lol... seems like someone would have called me about a free beer! Day late and a beer short...

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 893
Awe! Well I reckon you like to take the Bruce'in opportunities Drifter Just kidding! Check your pm's next time!

Well it sure as an awesome day of riding! Some of you boys sure did miss out on a guaranteed day of dropping your bike.

Just for you Monte;

ABhulgan (Brent) and I got to Blacksmith Bistro’s just after 9am, oopsie and come to find they weren’t even open for breakfast!

But, a better choice of mocha’s and a good breakfast sammich was Pasha’s, right next door to Blacksmith.

Brent and I had just finished our sammich’s around 9:40 and golly gee! SR Jman rolled up on his DR! Woot!

We made a general route of heading to Aetna Mtn right in our neighborhood. I made futile attempts to meet up Hawk, but well, maybe next time! (Hope you had a good Saturday Hawk ) A couple of miles before we got to Aetna, I had my bike make this large bang sound, regardless of my throttle I wasn’t going anywhere. Jman passed me and stopped with me looking at my bike, and well................... I knew there was a reason I kept this bolt with me that I found on my bashplate earlier that morning.

My front sprocket had come off and my chain thankfully didn’t break anything including itself and those two guys were so awesome in helping me out! Thank you sooo much guys!!!

In less than 10 minutes we were back on the road finally getting to our destination of adventure.

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 07:14 PM Reason: stupid fonts and such
SquirrelyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #40
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Jman and I followed Brent like little minions to our doom in the mudholes, ruts, large rocks and steep hill climbs willingly. A few pics I got to snap while on Aetna.

Jman on the 650

Brent snapped a photo of rest of Jman and I, Brent's KLR being a photo pig

Brent coordinating his wheels with rocks, even if they do move, which BTW ~ all of us went down this slope, in our own way. But we all made it! Getting back out of this was a different story tho
Sorry no pics of that, I was too busy trying make sure my bike wasn't going to roll me back down the hill with it

Jman going down the slope, oopsie!
DR's like to take naps;

After a couple of hours for our shenanigans Jman headed back towards home on Hwy 299;

Brent and I ventured on around Ladd’s Mountain which goes by TVA Nickajack Dam. We’ve both been on a few trails in that area and decided we should go and check them out again.

On Aetna I was incredibly worried about getting my bike stuck in some mud hole, but while at TVA I never even blinked going thru some of the wider ones, as I could still see the bottom of the puddles. Until I was stopped on one side of a rather large, and murky puddle that Brent was on the other side of.

Brent looked at me, stopped me. I waited, and Brent’s hands indicated a depth of 2 feet! :O ! What???!!!! No Way!

But Brent went thru it, so I did too! And of course we kept going on the semi-road bed, overgrown with privet and other small shrubbs. Last time we had to turn around and go out the way we came, but Brent stopped and walked ahead a couple yards. Coast looked clear.

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 07:28 PM Reason: pic resized
Old 10-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #41
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

We rode thru South Pittsburg, not much happened on 156, but we did pass several bikes and none seemed to keen on dirt riding, mostly cruisers.

Apparently Brent was in a spirited mood and we took a couple of gravel roads with hopes of new adventures.

This one road led to this;

A deep, super steep slope had washed a ditch here and the road on the other side looked like it coulda gone somewhere, but alas, we turned around, after an SUV pulled in behind us, looked dumbfounded at the washed out bridge and turned right back around.

We then found another bunny trail under some powerline. Btw ~ Jman and I had really updated our skills while on Aetna,while Brent was just cool and didn’t drop his, well …......
it wasn't too good for ABhulgan atop Sewanee Mtn; but this was a cool pic;

This trail was so bunny like golly gee! I had to lay my bike down b/c I could Spidey-sense Brent falling and sure enough. He went thru a soft ditch and was trying to see if a trail was on the other side but alas, I laid my DR on the side of a hill and was not gonna push my luck if Brent was having a hard time. But we both decided to turn around and Brent had to go back thru the ditch.
DR taking a nap on the hillside while Brent finagled back;

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 09:12 AM
Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #42
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
I can honestly say,i doubt my Tenere would of made it on those trails,especially with my BattleWings i have on the bike now.There are some powerlines outside of Coalmont i started going down on satyrday,but i thought better of it after about a 1/4 mile or so,looked almost like the pics that you posted,Thinking to myself,is this such a good idea,new trail,nobody
knows where i am,by myself,so i turned around,i might be dumb,but i aint stupid.. Hope when i move up here for good,we can meet,and maybe do some rides when i dont have to ride 700 miles back home on the only bike i have..
Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #43
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Too true reddawg, I don't like to venture into uncharted territories too much on my own either. If other people had showed up with different bikes then of course we would not have gone off onto bunny trails.
More pics to come!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #44
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

We hustled back to the main roads of Franklin State Forest and figured we needed to be making good time for lunch in Monteagle, so Brent suggested going back under the powerline trail that was commonly used.

Well......... we were going the way my dr is pointed

Guess why the KLR is facing me, oh that’s right!

big oopsie!

But we finally made it to Modern Dave’s Cafe

\

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 10:03 AM
Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #45
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

ugh, i can't figure out why this stupid stupid stuff isn't using my re-sized photos