User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Mcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
R1200gsa vibration

I have a slight vibration when I go over the 4000 rpm range. I mostly notice it in second and third gear. Not a lot, but a slight tingling in my feet. It seems like the engine has a change in sound also. I adjusted the valves a couple of thousand miles ago and the plugs about 15000 miles or so. I have 45000 miles on the bike. Also I checked the valve bodies for a single clicking sound with the engine off, they seem to be good. The bike runs good, so am I just being a little to picky here or is there something else I can do to solve the problem? Thank you for your advice on this subject.....
Mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Have you checked the final drive ? Some people report they feel vibration in the foot pegs when the final drive is going. You can check it by putting it on the center stand and wiggling the rear wheel. If you notice a lot of play when you move the rear wheel while on the stand, you may have a para lever gone bad.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
I have about 1400 clicks on my 2012 GSA, also feel the vibration around the middle of the power curve. Odd thing is it vibrates sometimes engine off while backing into the garage. Had the run in service done by the dealer @ ~ 700 miles. Tech indicated everything was copacetic.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Another option might be to sync the throttle bodies.

2011 GSA. Took mine in for the initial 600 mile check-up and told them I had a vibration around 4500, they said it was normal.

Had a rear main seal go out. Took it to another dealer to replace the rear main seal and when I got it back the vib at 4500 was almost all gone. It was almost a night and day difference. I asked the mech what he did and he said the throttle bodies were a tad out and re-synced them. Can't say for sure, but the bike definitely runs a lot better.

-Edit- Something like this is really geared toward someone with mech skills like JVB... I'd like to hear from him...

WindSailor screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:03 PM
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
texzen
BMW Engineer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
Another option might be to sync the throttle bodies.

2011 GSA. Took mine in for the initial 600 mile check-up and told them I had a vibration around 4500, they said it was normal.

Had a rear main seal go out. Took it to another dealer to replace the rear main seal and when I got it back the vib at 4500 was almost all gone. It was almost a night and day difference. I asked the mech what he did and he said the throttle bodies were a tad out and re-synced them. Can't say for sure, but the bike definitely runs a lot better.

-Edit- Something like this is really geared toward someone with mech skills like JVB... I'd like to hear from him...
+1 on the throttle bodies. Anytime you have a big twin vibrating that's the first thing. Then look for mechanical stuff....

Currently in the Stable
2010 R1200GSA - The Valdez, 07 Goldwing - Mr smooth, 2011 Beta Trials Bike - The Grasshopper!, 44 before that....Including HD's, Katooms, Ducs, and nearly every dirt bike brand...
texzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by texzen View Post
+1 on the throttle bodies. Anytime you have a big twin vibrating that's the first thing. Then look for mechanical stuff....

+1 TB balancing smoothed mine out to a little kitten purr.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Mcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Thanks for the information, I will get the tb's checked, seems to be the best place to go for. Thanks again, Mcgee.
Mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote