User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
p_funk OP
Frequently Lost

Oddometer: 406
KLR Starting Issue

So I have a problem that seems fairly common. I've found a couple other threads on various forums where the poster has similar symptoms. The thing is, I've eliminated almost every damn possibility. Here's the deal:

'04 KLR with 25,000 miles, doo done early (before me) and every farkle/mod known to man
I lent the bike to a friend who has no mechanical knowledge of motorcycles whatsoever. He "turned right after a stop sign, shifted into 2nd, rode a little further and the bike shut off while shifting into 3rd." I haven't been able to get it started since. I have a newer oddessy gel battery that I'm 99.9% sure is good. (Trickle charger says it charges fine, auto zone tester thing stamped it as "good") I've read up on the 2 relays (switch/solenoid) and here's where it get's weird: When I hit the starter I hear that dumb redundant "safety" one pop closed (I've also cross-checked it with my fan relay) so I figure it's good. When I jump those two terminals on the big starter solenoid I don't get any engine noise, just a bunch of sparks and my pliers trying to arc-weld themselves to the bike, If my limited understanding of all of this is correct, next step should be the starter motor itself? I've cleaned all the contacts on the starter motor and battery and solenoid. I haven't pulled the starter motor yet because there's a full staintune pipe in the way that was absolutely hacked into place by the previous owner, and I'm afraid it'll never go back in if I take it out. I just don't get why it would die when riding...

As always any wisdom is greatly appreciated.
-Pat
AMA#2890779
NETRA#24973

2003 XR650R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 2003 SV1000N
p_funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Before you start ripping into the starter, have you checked the side stand kill switch? Easy to damage and position so that if it's shorted it could be affected by the bike's lean. Just a random thought.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_funk View Post
When I jump those two terminals on the big starter solenoid I don't get any engine noise, just a bunch of sparks and my pliers trying to arc-weld themselves to the bike,

As always any wisdom is greatly appreciated.
-Pat
Take the small plug (large straight screwdriver) out of the center of the generator cover (shifter side) put 18mm? socket on and try to turn the engine over with the tool, slowly in the direction of rotation. Determine that the engine is not "locked up"

When you jump on the solenoid as described, there will be some sparks during the contact, but the engine should turn over.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 06:14 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
p_funk OP
Frequently Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStockwell View Post
Before you start ripping into the starter, have you checked the side stand kill switch? Easy to damage and position so that if it's shorted it could be affected by the bike's lean. Just a random thought.
While I've never officially done the bypass, it eventually just broke on it's own. I did make sure to pull that secondary switch and jump both Red/Yellow to the Black wire, perhaps I did it wrong/should probably bypass that kickstand for good. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Take the small plug (large straight screwdriver) out of the center of the generator cover (shifter side) put 18mm? socket on and try to turn the engine over with the tool, slowly in the direction of rotation. Determine that the engine is not "locked up"

When you jump on the solenoid as described, there will be some sparks during the contact, but the engine should turn over.
Never even considered that, thanks. Does "locked up" usually mean seized as in un-salvageable?
AMA#2890779
NETRA#24973

Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,581
I'd be checking the starter and clutch bypasses first, Pat.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 321
My guess (you often get what you pay for):

1.) Check the clutch, and sidestand switches, or your bypass mechanisms.

2.) Check the fuses in their out-of-date fuse holder. Take each fuse out and see if the metal end-caps have separated from the glass (and strand of fuse metal inside). This happened to me while riding last summer, and I replaced all the class fuse holders with automotive blade types for ~$12.

3.) Engine locked up is a good idea, check that out.

4.) Your 'arc-ing the starter' ought to turn the engine over. A locked-up engine, insufficient ground (or poor connection in the positive battery cable), or starter failure are my next guesses. Never heard of a starter failing on a KLR but anything is possible.

5.) Check, clean (wire-brush / emory cloth) your connections. Off the battery, off the starter relay, your ground on the engine, all of them you can think of or find.

A 12v-test light, multimeter, and shop manual can pay for themselves very quickly too (or just take it to someone who is a good mechanic, generally independent non-stealership shops).

My $0.02. Hope this helps.

Ride safely

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,372
you bypassed the starter relay with the pliers... got sparks, etc, but the motor didn't turn then something in the motor is stuck

pull the spark plug & see if the engine rotates. you can use the crank nut or what I do is jack up the back wheel & turn it with the bike in gear. if it's locked up, pull the left side cover & check the cam & balancer chains, and the starter & it's drive gears
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
[QUOTE=p_funk;

[I]Never even considered that, thanks. Does "locked up" usually mean seized as in un-salvageable?[/[/I]QUOTE]

it depends on what occurred, and what the damage is. I've seen some motors lunch out pretty bad, and be up and running again.

When(if) you take that gen cover off, careful not to loose the small shims on the gears(1 on each side) look up the doohickey video, it explains it pretty good.

Let us know what you find. We all want to know,
Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
p_funk OP
Frequently Lost

So it seems like there's never just one problem...

So I think the engine was locked up. I got it spinning with little force though, trying to avoid digging into the cases. Shorted the starter relay and it started up with the anger of a bike abandoned for the last 6 months. Magic button still doesn't work. Redundant relay clicks nicely, lights my test light when I try to start it. I figure it must be the big relay that crapped out or the connections from battery-relay-starter motor. I'll try cleaning those connections...again but they look good. Otherwise I guess it's time for a new relay. Thanks so far folks. I'd probably still be cursing the starter motor internals that would be scattered all over my kitchen counter.
AMA#2890779
NETRA#24973