User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,253
When is it time to hang up the keys?

I spent the day at the hosital with a friend yesterday. She was going home after a small rally in the foothills that I was unable to make. She was headed up Hwy 108 just above Strawberry, Calif. She went into a corner too fast she thought and blew the corner. Into the flora and fauna she went. Two broken ankles, broken clavical, small bone in her right hand.

Up front a couple of things.
She was on a Harley FXR. One of the better handling Harleys, however it's been modified for her short stature and it's now an ill handling beast.

My friend is also in her upper 60's. She has thousands and thousands of miles under her belt and probably over 200,000 miles on this particular bike, ill handling and all.

Myself and another friend of hers were talking about the "slips" yesterday on our way to assess the bike. We both agree it might be time for her to hang up the keys.

How do you tell a good friend it might be time? How the hell do YOU tell if it's time for YOU to hang it up? It's going to come to all of us at some point.

She'll recover. Docs are saying several months worth and then a few more before she be back on a bike so it's looking like spring or early summer.

Things to ponder...

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,455
maybe a lighter and better bike for your friend, but honestly you have no right to tell your friend to stop riding. you don't own them no different a parent doesn't own their kids. people have full right over their choices. sure you can try, but you'll lose a friend if you do.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Suggest that all of you take a rider's course together to sharpen up the skills. Your friend will have to decide when to quit but you can always offer up ideas to make her and yourself better. I hope for full recovery and maybe the crash itself will speak to her about continuing her riding.... but in the end... it's up to her.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,040
Get her a Yamaha WR250R/X and she can ride untill she can't. It'll give her a whole new world.

Not very stylish tho...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,588
If being immobilized with TWO broken ankles doesn't change her mind then surely you won't, no offense. Sitting here with a busted leg at 29 from dirt biking a few weeks back, I know if I live into my 60's and logged those kinds of miles I would consider dying on the road a natural death almost. I have no thoughts of quitting now despite every coworkers/family/friends judgeful and verbal opinions about danger blah blah blah, they can all fuck off. I'm going to reassess my gear even though nothing can prevent a twist fracture I'm aware of, and hone my skills, but not giving up. Again I'm only 29, but having to give something up I love would tear me up. Once you think you are old....you are old.

I think just asking her what she is going to do and her thoughts about it in a non judge mental way will initiate an interesting conversation for both of you. Let the non bikers ask the judge mental questions and be written off.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
lineareagle
philomath

Oddometer: 502
When it is not fun anymore.

'06 1200 GS Adv - non A
lineareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I used to ride that road all the time. Now I ride mostly off road on my little WR250R. Still fun, without the dangers of the street.

How did she crash? That's important, in my opinion. Gravel in the road? Panicking and only using a rear brake? Overcooked the turn, going too fast on a Harley is a recipe for disaster.

At my age (42) I can already feel that I'm much slower than I was at 22, that's why I gave up the street riding after 33 years and zero crashes on the street. Everyone has their own comfort zone...
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,221
Many people on big Harley's do the exact same thing as they have no extra lean angle for a mistake.
There are lighter bikes with more lean angle out there, but a lot of people would never ride them.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,304
Slight change for an addition

I'm pushing 70.....soon enough. Love my wr250 x w/ or w/o knobbies. But my most fun scoot it my Ural, Gear Up.

What a pure blast to run on the street or the back road full of pot holes & water crossings. I thought about quitting but not so long as I can keep climbing on board. I just started to add up all my down time from broken bones & rehab time for seperated shoulders & knees, etc. Don't have much time left & I really hate to think about stopping.....then I will be at a stop for everything.

My dogs are my best riding buds now.

Talk to her about a side car or a newish Ural. It is worth the time & effort.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
I'm pushing 70.....soon enough. Love my wr250 x w/ or w/o knobbies. But my most fun scoot it my Ural,

My dogs are my best riding buds now..
I have no grandkids but have a grand dog..... I have been thinking of a sidecar more and more for him. LOL
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,253
She has a Harley Trike and we might try to move her towards that. She is MUCH more cautious on that then she was on the FXR.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Greg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #12
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,489
Bummer, Gerg. You're a good guy for helping out your friend. But I already knew that.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,412
Isn't there a possibility that she could have learned something from the incident, and hence in the future change a riding habit to avoid things that would lead to similar crashes?

If that is the case, I would be more careful of the risk of being condescending as a reason to lose a friend. Although good friends are not lost for advice, good or bad, as long as your intentions are clear: it shows you care.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
She went into a corner too fast she thought and blew the corner

Gerg
Sounds like she needs to adjust her headwork, slow down, back off when tired or on a long day.
Tell her to heal quickly.

What time of day did the accident occur?

scooteraug02 screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 12:00 PM
scooteraug02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
...I think just asking her what she is going to do and her thoughts about it in a non judge mental way will initiate an interesting conversation for both of you. Let the non bikers ask the judge mental questions and be written off.
Exactly. Just initiating the thought process is about all you can do. If she has that much experience riding, she will be the best person to make that decision. I'm sure she has been thinking about it while lying there already.

I live on that highway, just a bit lower elevation. We have some decreasing radius turns that can even sneak up on those who ride it often. On top of that, it is fairly well travelled by motorhomes that throw gravel into the road as they cut corners too short. Crashing on Hwy 108 is in no way an indication that a rider is ready to hang up their helmet. I'll refrain from giving you the recent statistics.

I wish your friend well, and as many miles as she can safely ride.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote