Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
ridingAK
On the Road Less Taken...

Oddometer: 249
It sounds like a combination of fatigue, a poor handling motorcycle, and target fixation ( maybe caused by fatigue?). I'm in my 40's and hate to admit that I get tired easier and sooner than I did when I was 20, but the fact remains that as we get older we can't push quite as hard as we used to. After two broken ankles, she may have trouble holding the weight of a motorcycle at all in the future. Maybe the HD trike or a CanAm would be an alternative.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I'm 71, not very strong, and have a few minor health issues. But I'm currently planning to leave on a solo tour through Central America in less than two months. I figure if I don't do it now, I never will.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 731
Thumb Hot Damn!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
I'm 71, not very strong, and have a few minor health issues. But I'm currently planning to leave on a solo tour through Central America in less than two months. I figure if I don't do it now, I never will.

Well, I sure hope the OP shows his friend your contribution!!!

Perhaps you could share a few more details, especially what kinda bike you're tearing about on?

And the countries you plan to hit?

Really, all things considered, you are an inspiration to all of us here.

Who the hell wants to "hang up their keys" before their time?

I met Joe Katz when he was touring 6 months a year in his 80's.

My life's goal, TBH.

Rock On, Oldtimer!!!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 235
It's time to hang up the keys when the exhilaration of facing fear headlong is overcome by the fear of the potential outcome.

It's all personal.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
colodak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
two years at a 7-11, an elderly woman pulled up in a VW based dune buggy, the typical 70's style. I was amazed and stood in awe at how cool looking it was. When I asked her about, mind you this woman was in her mid-70's, she said she didn't want to buy it, but when she turned 70 her Dr. made her give up her Harley. She said all this with a straight face.
colodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
I'm pushing 70.....soon enough. Love my wr250 x w/ or w/o knobbies. But my most fun scoot it my Ural, Gear Up.

What a pure blast to run on the street or the back road full of pot holes & water crossings. I thought about quitting but not so long as I can keep climbing on board. I just started to add up all my down time from broken bones & rehab time for seperated shoulders & knees, etc. Don't have much time left & I really hate to think about stopping.....then I will be at a stop for everything.

My dogs are my best riding buds now.

Talk to her about a side car or a newish Ural. It is worth the time & effort.

What??? Did you trade in your GS for a Ural?

FWIW, you can ride figure 8's around most riders out there in the sugar sand, you old hound dog!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #22
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
It sounds like a "bad day at the office". Your friend will make up her own mind whether "tomorrow" will be better.
I do agree that matching ones riding to ones capabilities is important
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #23
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,309
Folks, thanks for your good wishes and thoughts. It would appear she is moving toward riding the trike when she returns to riding. The FXR has been totaled.

Medically there is one more operation to be schedule on her right ankle. There are some complications that are preventing that at this time. She is good spirits.

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #24
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineareagle View Post
When it is not fun anymore.
+1

And then you get a sidecar
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #25
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
If being immobilized with TWO broken ankles doesn't change her mind then surely you won't...
This.

If she wants to keep riding, guess what. She's going to keep riding. Perhaps a Sportster would be in order for her, but it's her decision. The best you can do for her, is ask her what she wants. Perhaps suggest a sportster, but you'll never change her mind.

From the way it sounds, she made a mistake. Nothing more. Do you think that there's anyone here who hasn't gone into a corner hot? It happens, and when you run out of lean angle there's nothing else to do but lean into it and hope for the best. I almost did the same thing on my Road King a few years ago. Once that floorboard bracket hit there was nothing else to do. It was a tight right hander, I was almost on the white line on the other side of the road. Scraping the whole way. I rode very relaxed the rest of the day after that, and haven't done it since.

My dad's 59, and admits that he's not what he was. Still rides his Harley, GSX-R 1000, and Hayabusa. Steals my XRR, CRF, and ZX-14 a lot, and sometimes takes the FJR up the road. He's not going to quit riding until he physically can't do it anymore, and will probably end up stealing my Sportster at that point and riding anyways.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #26
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Sounds as she had a lapse in concentration, i seem to get them as well, i am 64. While i havent actually thought of, hanging up the keys, as yet, more effort goes into staying alert. Let's hope that she'll recover fully from her injuries, and keep riding.That ill handling beast she's riding, well there are few motorcycle's available, which are better suited for slightly build female, Ducati makes some low bikes, KTM 690 Duke is one, few Ds bikes would probably be ok, the super motos are great fun, tad high though. The only experience of Harleys of recent history, i have, are the ones i pass on the highway, they seem to 'wallow' a lot. Someone is bound to get their undies twisted over this, but i would never buy one, or any of the clone's, for that matter. I ride a 990adv, so feel free to criticise! In the event of come off, i would keep on riding, i think.!
Aussijussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #27
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 641
Gerg, does she have a friend in San Diego named Anja? If so, my mom is good friends with Anja. Mom emailed me about a Harley accident a few days ago that one of Anjas friends was involved in. Sounds very similar.
Ben Carufel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #28
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
She has a Harley Trike and we might try to move her towards that. She is MUCH more cautious on that then she was on the FXR.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Greg
Diddo! Might be trike time-canam spyder, low and fast!
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #29
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
Gerg, does she have a friend in San Diego named Anja? If so, my mom is good friends with Anja. Mom emailed me about a Harley accident a few days ago that one of Anjas friends was involved in. Sounds very similar.
Ben, That would be her.

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #30
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
Ben, That would be her.

Gerg

Small world. Hope she recovers quickly.

I seem to remember mom mentioning a friend of this woman's wrecking a Harley trike or sidecar rig of some sort last year down here in SoCal -- someone died in the accident? Anyways, I'll get mom to fill me in when I see her next week.
Ben Carufel is online now   Reply With Quote