Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #31
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
OK, so now I had ridden the "snake", the "Rattler", the "dragon" as well as "moonshiner" 28 (or "hellbender 28" depending on which T shirt vendor you believe)

So do they live up to the hype? Which one is the best?

Well, I don't buy into the hype. Yes they are all great roads but this area is full of great roads. Some of these roads are tighter and more challenging than any of the "T-shirt" roads. Furthermore, 129 at Deal's Gap has become such a tourist attraction that it is difficult to ride it without having to deal with lots of traffic and LEO presence. The other roads mentioned are not as bad in this respect. Which one is the best if you could eliminate the traffic and LEO's. For tight non-stop twisties, 129 is hard to beat. 28 on the other hand is much longer and has several great sections. Of course, 129 also goes a long way and 129 over Blood mountain is also quite popular and even has a photographer on it on weekends. 209 is also a great road. The Snake?? It's hard for me to really judge it since I rode it in not so great conditions. It's a great road but not that much different from many others in the area. it had much less traffic than Deal's Gap but can also get crowded on weekends.

So, that's my opinion. Yours may vary depending on what you prefer. Many people prefer the Cherohala Skyway. Me, I like them all but prefer to get off the beaten path and ride the more obscure roads that have less traffic to deal with.

OK, on with the report.

I headed down 129 with the intention of heading to Rider's Hill. At the last minute I changed my mind and decided to ride over the Skyway. I actually prefer some of the tight curves on 143 between Robbinsville and the Start of the Skyway to the Skyway itself.

It was still overcast. I ended up riding in the fog for a good portion of the Skyway.

At the other end I decided to stop at the Cherohala Harley Dealer and check it out.

It's basically a Harley T-shirt shop. I suspect the "dealers" in Cherokee and near Deal's Gap are the same.

They did have one old Harley on Display.

Then I stopped at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters, checked out the gear and talked to some other rider's there.

Then I headed down 68. I had this crazy idea of riding trail 82 on my scooter.

I started up but the water break were to high for my limited ground clearance. If not for that I don't think that the first section of the trail would have been a problem. Oh well, I planned on being back in the area soon with my XT350.

Some scenery off of 68.

The sun finally came out in North Georgia.

That concludes part one of this report.

Still coming up: The Beaver and another crash

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #32
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After taking a day to take care of stuff around the house, my plan was to load my XT350 and camping gear in my truck and get an early start for Crawford's Campground near Murphy, NC for 2 1/2 days of dual sport riding at the Fuzzy Beaver. The weather on my day at home was perfect, sunny and 70s. The forecast for the next few days was the same.

It was still dark when I got on the road. I didn't get to far before i got some rain sprinkles on the windshield. Where did that come from. A little later it turned into real rain and continued onto NC. So much for the weather forecast.

it looked like it might another one of those gloomy rainy days. Around Murphy the rain stopped but everything was wet and it was still overcast. I'm not one of those fair weather only riders but I do prefer reasonably warm and sunny.

When I got to the campground, there were several other riders there. I had expected that most riders wouldn't show up until that evening.

They were getting ready to go riding so I unloaded my bike and went with them. I could set up my tent when I got back.

The roads around the campground are about as twisty as Deal's Gap. It didn't take long to get off the pavement.

Taking a break.

After the break we went through some slick mud, then more gravel which turned back to pavement. I saw that the riders in front of me had stopped on the other side of a wooden bridge so I was slowing down and.................

I discovered wooden bridges are slippery when wet.

At least this time I thought to get a pic before picking up the bike

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #33
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 239
Another off on a slick surface. Apparently your "trophy stance", foot on fork indicates that you weren't injured......
The slickest surfaces almost always show up with little advance warning. Glad you're okay

http://patricia-coutts.blogspot.ca/
Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #34
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Love the report.
Thanks
I'm always making plans but actually
getting out there is rare.
Love it when I do though.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinbowie View Post
Love the report.
Thanks
I'm always making plans but actually
getting out there is rare.
Love it when I do though.
Spend less time planning and more time getting out.....just wing it
Thanks for the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Another off on a slick surface. Apparently your "trophy stance", foot on fork indicates that you weren't injured......
The slickest surfaces almost always show up with little advance warning. Glad you're okay

http://patricia-coutts.blogspot.ca/
I crash pretty well I wasn't hurt but the XT suffered a bent handlebar. It was rideable but a little awkward and uncomfortable. Sine the lunch stop was close, I decided to ride there and then decided whether to continue the ride.

Lunch was at the Tellico Grains Bakery in Tellico Plains.

Afterwards we went over to Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters and looked at the Gear.

Since the planned ride was not that long, I decided to go along. We headed South on 68, a nice paved twisty road.

Shot this along the way when somebody decided to stop for some reason.

Then we got off 68 onto Trail 82, the trail I got pics of when on my scooter 2 days earlier. We followed the first part of the trail to a gravel road and followed it to the top of Buck Bald.

I wasn't the only one whose bike took a nap today.

Actually, this was the third of the day, someone else had fallen riding up a hill earlier.

So he picked up the bike, rode up the hill again.

Went about a hundred feet and.

Down again. He may have pulled a hamstring on this one as he did a split going down.

So we hung out here for a while and played around while I took some pics.

Going down the stairs.

And up.

Stairs? We don't need no stinkin stairs

Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #36
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

If you're wondering why I'm so slow posting this report, all four of my bikes have required some sort of maintenance and my camera died last weekend so I've been camera shopping. I've been using a 8 year old Casio EX-Z40 camera. It was my first and only digital camera so trying to figure out what to get next is not easy. Any suggestions? I'll be using mostly to take pics for my ride reports and I'll be hanging it around my neck so It can't be too bulky.

Continuing with the report.

After we left Buck Bald, we went back down and rode the second part of trail 82. I had never ridden this before and it was quite "interesting". It's a narrow single track with sections built on the side of a mountain so there was a nice little drop off to the left. On little mistake and you'll be spending a lot of time trying to haul the bike back up the mountain side.

On top of that, my bent handle bar made it eve more awkward. I should have stopped and got some pics but didn't get any until at the end of the trail where there was not dropoff.

I believe this was on the Joe Brown highway on the way back to the campground.

Playing in the rock garden back at the campground.

This knobby is about ready for replacement.

I decided to head back home after the ride because I didn't feel like riding with the bent handlebar all weekend.

Besides I had another bike back home that I hadn't crashed yet (this week) already to ride

klaviator screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 11:34 AM
Old 10-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #37
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got up the next morning to a beautiful day For once the weatherman was right. I decided to head up to the N. GA mountains.. From my house i have 12 miles of Suburban traffic followed by 17 miles of interstate and then it's all back roads to the mountains, some paved and some not.

A typical road:

When I got to Rider's hill, the parking lot was packed. I wasn't the only one enjoying the sunny weather.

Woody lake in Suches.

The old Two Wheels Only property has been bought by a motorcyclist who plan to re-open next year under a slightly different name. There was some construction going on to the old lodge and grounds.

I will be glad to see the place re open. It has been one of my favorite destinations for over 20 years.

There were a few bikes at the Suches Gas Station. Back when TWO was open, this place would be packed with bikes.

This was at the gas station. Not my cup of tea but it's interesting and i have seen a few of them before. i took a few pics.

klaviator screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 04:32 PM
Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #38
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then I headed North on 60, one of my favorite roads. It has a mix of scenery,

curves,

more scenery,

Others were also enjoying the road. The leaves were just starting to change.

I turned off on Fish hatchery road.

It runs along a creek a little ways.

more curves.

A small lake along the road.

Then I turned on to FS42.

Exploring a small side road.

A popular scenic stop on 136. On a clear day you can see downtown Atlanta.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #39
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,806
You need to go back and ride Shady when it's dry. I've put a few thousand miles up there when I lived 45 minutes away and it's one of the few places I've found where you have the whole place to yourself on a weekday and on the weekends you know just about everyone in the parking lot.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #40
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 239
Camera suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
If you're wondering why I'm so slow posting this report, all four of my bikes have required some sort of maintenance and my camera died last weekend so I've been camera shopping. I've been using a 8 year old Casio EX-Z40 camera. It was my first and only digital camera so trying to figure out what to get next is not easy. Any suggestions? I'll be using mostly to take pics for my ride reports and I'll be hanging it around my neck so It can't be too bulky.
Hey Klav: For several years I have used a Canon Elph, or Sony CyberShot, both around $100 12MP or so. They are fast and easy
to adjust, and fit into a shirt pocket. With an 8GB SD card, and set on Hi-Med resolution (around 1-1.2MB per) the camera will hold about 7,300 pictures without dumping the memory, but I make a habit of downloading to the laptop daily or every couple of days.

An interesting wrinlkle, Scooterchick and I just upgraded our phones and most of my pictures for the last 10 blog entries or so, have been from my Samsung Android phone. One less device to carry. Check the blog, works for us.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #41
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,372
all though it looks like your bike would disappear down the side of trail 82 , there seems to be enough trees to stop it

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #42
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
You need to go back and ride Shady when it's dry. I've put a few thousand miles up there when I lived 45 minutes away and it's one of the few places I've found where you have the whole place to yourself on a weekday and on the weekends you know just about everyone in the parking lot.
I'm sure I'll make it back there some time. Hopefully the weather will coperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hey Klav: For several years I have used a Canon Elph, or Sony CyberShot, both around $100 12MP or so. They are fast and easy
to adjust, and fit into a shirt pocket. With an 8GB SD card, and set on Hi-Med resolution (around 1-1.2MB per) the camera will hold about 7,300 pictures without dumping the memory, but I make a habit of downloading to the laptop daily or every couple of days.

An interesting wrinlkle, Scooterchick and I just upgraded our phones and most of my pictures for the last 10 blog entries or so, have been from my Samsung Android phone. One less device to carry. Check the blog, works for us.
I just bought a Canon sure shot A2300 for $109.95. I will be interesting to see how it compares. My Casio was 4 MPX and this is 16. My casio was built much more solid and was much heavier. It took a real beating and kept on ticking but couldn't last forever. Eventually I'd like to learn more about photography and get a better camera so I can get higher quality pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
all though it looks like your bike would disappear down the side of trail 82 , there seems to be enough trees to stop it

Interesting pics! I'm sure those beasts were fun to get back up to the trail. At least my XT350 only weighs 300 lbs. Kudos to the guys who rode those beasts down that trail.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #43
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,021
Another great RR Klav !
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #44
Go-4-It
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrff View Post
I have had things slip with me at times like that before. It sure does take away your rain confidence for a while. Probably automotive fluid or the remains of an old greasy possum Glad you were not hurt...enjoying the report!
Yeah what he said! I had that happen once & I had ridden that corner many time before & lots of time when it was wet. I think the tire got on the old paint where the ctr line had had been moved and slipped. It does slow you down for awhile thinking about what caused it. I admire your skills and willingness doing this in those conditions. Good on you!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #45
Beto
RustyGasket

Oddometer: 1,842
Awesome RR Klav... and thanks for the info on The Snake.

Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
"If it's anyone's fault for a crash... it's always the Ass Fault."
Beto is offline   Reply With Quote