ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Alfredo(icelander) OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGRIDER View Post
May get DeBandi and Motomark to come up and camp.,Porter.
Would be great to see you guys. Hope you can work that out.
Alfredo(icelander) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
May get DeBandi and Motomark to come up and camp.,Porter.
Oh hell no . . . .. .
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
ihatefalling
Let it roll

I'm for sure going unless it's raining.

Not trying to hijack the thread or the ride...... just want to start throwing out thoughts as the come to mind. And don't let me dictate the ride if ya'll have something else in mind.

Alright you boogers.......Not sure what kind of riding everyone wants to do but..... me personally would like to ride big, all day, power loops. Would like a good mix of smooth to rough/advanced. If you've ridden with me at Sequatchie.... I'm hoping for that kind of day(s). Maybe 80 + miles.... get back to the cabin at dark draggin @$$.

I'm not real experienced with Windrock but have been talking to some guys who ride there a lot. Getting advice. They have all basically said the same thing :

"........ If you're wanting to do a big loop with a group that runs to the north end of the park, all riders must be competently prepared.......not gravel/dirt road prepared......but back-country, good endurance, multiple flats, drowned bikes, possible mechanical issues prepared. Leaves will be thick on the ground so there will be lots of hidden kickers, be safe. More rocks than can be imagined (pinch flats), mud holes deep enough where you need a winch to get a bike out of them. New / Good tires with lots of meat are a MUST. Guys with wore out tires will fight rocky hills all day long and you will never make it. Check your spoke tightness. If you have the means to carry some extra gas you better. All bikes should have headlights as there is a decent probability that we would get back after dark..... getting stuck, getting lost, mechanical issues are typical. so be prepared....... it never fails, we always seem to get back much later that we thought. Start early b/c you will get back later than you thought. Bikes and riders MUST be maintained and prepared....no hooptys"

Sound like your kind of evil, twisted fun ?

Again.....don't know if that's what ya'll have in mind....that's just what I was thinking. If there are folks who don't want to do that.....there a miles and miles and miles of good flowing fun trails.

I've got that Friday off. So I'm Driving up Thursday evening. Too far for me to drive in on Friday morning plus I loose an hour. If anyone want to split a motel room Thursday night let me know.

We can get a cabin if we get can get firm headcounts on arrival - departures.
Cabin space would be on a first-come basis?

Hey Alfredo - could you edit the first post to show arrival dates too?
I'm staying Thurs - Fri - Sat nights
I'm riding Friday & Saturday, leaving Sunday morning.

Oh yea.... we have to buy permits too......can get them at the trail head.

Rant over . . . .
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Alfredo(icelander) OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
I'm for sure going unless it's raining.

Not trying to hijack the thread or the ride...... just want to start throwing out thoughts as the come to mind. And don't let me dictate the ride if ya'll have something else in mind.

Alright you boogers.......Not sure what kind of riding everyone wants to do but..... me personally would like to ride big, all day, power loops. Would like a good mix of smooth to rough/advanced. If you've ridden with me at Sequatchie.... I'm hoping for that kind of day(s). Maybe 80 + miles.... get back to the cabin at dark draggin @$$.

I'm not real experienced with Windrock but have been talking to some guys who ride there a lot. Getting advice. They have all basically said the same thing :

"........ If you're wanting to do a big loop with a group that runs to the north end of the park, all riders must be competently prepared.......not gravel/dirt road prepared......but back-country, good endurance, multiple flats, drowned bikes, possible mechanical issues prepared. Leaves will be thick on the ground so there will be lots of hidden kickers, be safe. More rocks than can be imagined (pinch flats), mud holes deep enough where you need a winch to get a bike out of them. New / Good tires with lots of meat are a MUST. Guys with wore out tires will fight rocky hills all day long and you will never make it. Check your spoke tightness. If you have the means to carry some extra gas you better. All bikes should have headlights as there is a decent probability that we would get back after dark..... getting stuck, getting lost, mechanical issues are typical. so be prepared....... it never fails, we always seem to get back much later that we thought. Start early b/c you will get back later than you thought. Bikes and riders MUST be maintained and prepared....no hooptys"

Sound like your kind of evil, twisted fun ?

Again.....don't know if that's what ya'll have in mind....that's just what I was thinking. If there are folks who don't want to do that.....there a miles and miles and miles of good flowing fun trails.

I've got that Friday off. So I'm Driving up Thursday evening. Too far for me to drive in on Friday morning plus I loose an hour. If anyone want to split a motel room Thursday night let me know.

We can get a cabin if we get can get firm headcounts on arrival - departures.
Cabin space would be on a first-come basis?

Hey Alfredo - could you edit the first post to show arrival dates too?
I'm staying Thurs - Fri - Sat nights
I'm riding Friday & Saturday, leaving Sunday morning.

Oh yea.... we have to buy permits too......can get them at the trail head.

Rant over . . . .
I am all bout some dat you be talking bout. Play hard or go home. I will try and keep up but I tend to do thisalot. I hope porter goes I owe him for pushing me over in SV.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
trblmkr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Here is some video of my atv trip this past March at Coal Creek just to show you guys what the terrain is like. Once again the Camera just does not show the real steepness of the trail.

">

trblmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Yooo Hooo.....anybody out there? -------

LODGING UPDATE
- I spoke with Brenda at the Windmill Inn in Oliver Springs.

She is willing to do a group rate of $42 per person / per night (maybe less if we can get 8 - 10 riders). She will not hold us rooms at that rate for long. Tell Brenda you are with my group ( Jason Murphy ).

They have nice rooms / beds, plenty of room, full breakfast included, game room, theater seating with big-screen, etc..

If you want to go on this ride - and stay there, please post up and let me know asap.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Yooo Hooo.....anybody out there? -------

LODGING UPDATE
- I spoke with Brenda at the Windmill Inn in Oliver Springs.

She is willing to do a group rate of $42 per person / per night (maybe less if we can get 8 - 10 riders). She will not hold us rooms at that rate for long. Tell Brenda you are with my group ( Jason Murphy ).

They have nice rooms / beds, plenty of room, full breakfast included, game room, theater seating with big-screen, etc..

If you want to go on this ride - and stay there, please post up and let me know asap.
Sounds nice. If I go, I'll either be camping or staying at the Comfort Inn (free).

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
Alfredo(icelander) OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Sounds nice. If I go, I'll either be camping or staying at the Comfort Inn (free).

dont be like that. you come hang wit us
Old 10-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo(icelander) View Post
dont be like that. you come hang wit us
Well when it comes to $42/night ($126) or free, which would you do?

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
BUGRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I'll be coming up Thurs night. Hope to bring DeBandi, Porter. You can get revenge for SV.
BUGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
Alfredo(icelander) OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll be coming up Thurs night. Hope to bring DeBandi, Porter. You can get revenge for SV.
Glad you are going to make it. Where are you guys staying
Old 10-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
Alfredo(icelander) OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Well when it comes to $42/night ($126) or free, which would you do?
Well hook some brothers up
Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #28
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Thanks for the posts, calls and texts today.
Made it easier for me b/c I'm a planning freak .
You lowered my pre-ride obsessing a lot...now all I have to do is make it thru 2 weeks of work
Looks like (most of us) will make the Windmill our basecamp.
Wlfman.....just meet us over at the Windmill each morning.

Trblmaker had a good point today.... we are about to loose an hour of afternoon light.
So looks like we might be doing kickstands up pretty early.
Been going over maps and youtube vids of all the trails..... we gunna have some fun
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #29
Alfredo(icelander) OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I gots to bring my tagged bike dont I.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #30
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Have Fun!!

Wish I was able to go but I dont think I will be able to weasel out of work in time. I've been 5 times now I think. If anyone happens to find the waterfall thats marked on the map let me know, it has been hiding from me. Be careful though or you might end up with some new hardware like my buddy a few years back.

He hit hard enough that even the armor he was wearing didn't stop a pretty severe break.
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote