ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
Alfredo(icelander) OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
We will be there until sunday so come on out and join the party. Good thing I dont ride fast and hard so I shouldnt break anything
Alfredo(icelander) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #32
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Well if I manage to work it out I will be sure to post up and let you know. I will be camping in windrock for sure if I make it out.
Oh and my buddy was actually riding his front brakes down a hill when he lodged his tire against a rock or root and went end over end. Me and my other buddy rode down it full speed like a couple of lunatics and were just fine.
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #33
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Lodging Options - I have committed to anything yet but - seems to be pretty much this :

• A couple of nearby campgrounds that have bunk houses or cabins.
  • One bed and breakfast in Oliver Springs (really close to the riding area)
  • Motels / Hotels in Oak Ridge, TN - maybe 20?? minutes from the trails.
In pricing stuff out - looks like about $30 a night is the cheapest you can find something (unless you tent camp).

Looks like IHF, Twisty and ALfredo are coming up Thursday night ( 11/8 ) after work and riding Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
If someone else wants to do that too - SPEAK UP NOW - I'm making reservations and that bed and breakfast for a room that sleeps 4 - breakfast included. So as I write this post - looks like we have room for one more in "our" group.

Crybaby alert--If you come up and stay with me/us....please pay me as soon as we meet. I HATE having to wait till the last minute as we're loading the bikes to go home to ask everyone to pay up. Thank you . .

If you're NOT coming up and staying with us...... I guess call the campgrounds or motels and make your reservations. More than likely we will have people staying at different places so we will probably have to just all meet up in the mornings.

I'm working on getting us a guide for at least one day. No promises on that tho....

And I guess we'll have to evaluate what everyone wants to ride. We might have to split up into groups?? I've only been there once a few years ago. That place is HUGE. More that can be rode in a week solid.
Sing me up for the b&b, sounds like a great time. also can help with haulin bikes let me know your thoughts on that.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #34
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnit man View Post
Sing me up for the b&b, sounds like a great time. also can help with haulin bikes let me know your thoughts on that.
Sign man Sign ! ! ok might sing to ya too !
Old 10-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #35
Alfredo(icelander) OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnit man View Post
Sign man Sign ! ! ok might sing to ya too !
what day you showing up to and I will put it on the list
Alfredo(icelander) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #36
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,124
You guys and gals have a good time, the Windmill Inn looks like a great place to hang out. Wish I could be there.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #37
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Oddometer: 198
Why it always gotta be about little bikes?

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #38
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDragon View Post
Why it always gotta be about little bikes?
I use to say the same thing (KLR650) until I went and bought a DRZ

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #39
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,316
UPDATE -

Hey SPinnit Man - I'm coming up Thursday night after work if you can make that happen. Plan on coming back Sunday morning probably.

I got the latest trail map in the mail, have received some GPS files, been doing some trail research on youtube.

Looks like we will be able to cover a lot of ground...... I think. Seems like they rate the trail difficulty for jeeps / quads.

From what I can tell:
Easy trails : gravel
Moderate trails : pretty fast flowing with some medium challenges
Difficult: Typical woods type riding
Most DIfficult : Might try and keep us off these. There seem to be some huge and I mean HUGE rock areas that be a pin to get through. I know ya'll like challenges but the most difficult trails seem to all look like slow, push the bikes up rock faces, time killers.

I have a Friday route drawn out.

Working on a Saturday route tonight. For Saturday it looks like we should try to haul @$$ to the north side of the property so we don't have to ride a bunch of the same trails twice. We'll see.

Hey Big Bikes - don't let us small bikes stop you. There are tons of roads / trails up there. Grab a map on come on !
Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #40
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Would you be able to share the gps file?

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #41
ihatefalling
Let it roll

UPDATE AGAIN -

BASE CAMP - Since it looks like most of us will be at the Windmill Inn - let's have "kickstands up" be there at the Inn. It's only maybe a 4-5 mile slab ride to the trail head areas.
One day we will pass by the main park entrance as we get going --- one day we will not.

Bike Prep - Ya'll all know this but, bikes must be prepped. On the "north" day we will be a LONG way from base camp

COSTS :

Lodging : If you're staying at the Windmill Inn - plan on $42 a night (or less maybe). This includes breakfast. Or do your own thing and just meet up with us at the Inn, no biggie.

Permits: Sucks but we have to buy permits . Might want to consider buying your permit at the Shell Station when you get there to save time?? Looks like we will have early starts.

Cash: Better bring cash with you - country stores might not take credit cards for gas and lunch.

Fuel : Bring a little extra if you can tote it. Not sure how long these routes are. Too hard to try and measure them.

Pain killers / Ibuprofen : BRING THEM

Post whore out . . . . .
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #42
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Would you be able to share the gps file?
Maybe in a few days..... it was sent to me in a single giant KML file so I need to pick out all the sections we are going to ride.... if I can. Might have other files coming too I hope (and ya'll pray)

Let me solidify the route before I start doing all that cut & paste work with the files......let you know asap
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #43
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I went and bought a DRZ
Looks like you and SpinnitMan will be the DRZ brotherhood
Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #44
ihatefalling
Let it roll

HEY TRBLMKR - - - - - -

You've ran the entirety of 12 before right?

Is it reasonably do-able on the bikes without being a major slowdown? It works out real good for the route if we can make it happen.

Just trying to avoid putting us on major time killer trails.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #45
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Whats the route looking like for friday?? I'm going to try to make it out there but I'm going to be on my 250 race bike and I've only got about a 30 mile fuel range so I probably wont be able to stick with you guys the whole day. And there are lots of paved/gravel roads that would be easily ridable on big bikes for anyone thats curious. They also sell paper maps at the trail head, I can't remember how much they are. Some of the difficult are ridable on small bikes if you aren't worried about some scratches, the extreme on the other hand are Not bike friendly. lol Me and my buddy spent about two hours stuck halfway up one last time and the thing probably wasn't 100 yards long. lol
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote