ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #46
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,336
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Hey KJD - Friday looks like we will ride all the southwest stuff before lunch. There will be a point where we break off and head out of the park to go get gas and lunch. That break off point will be within 3-4 miles from the main "old" parking lot that has the snack shack. You could ride all that morning stuff, then evaluate whether you have enough gas to get to lunch with the group. After lunch we will enter the park "in the middle on Hwy 116" and then make our way south towards camp.

Of course all that ^ ^ ^ ^depends on Trblmkrs feedback. He might think it's un-doable.

It's just from watching you-tube clips, most of which are on slow moving jeeps or quads, I just think we are going to be able to cover most the trails pretty quick. A lot of the "real" trail sections seem to be 2 miles or less and I know we can cover two miles pretty fast. Most of them don't really look that hard (except for the double blacks like you said, they look like busted case / radiator city).

Can you strap some gas on the bike or carry it in your backpack? If it looks like you might be able to make it lunch, then prob some of the big tank bikes (if any??) could share some gas to get you out of the park?? Bring some oil too.

Or buy a used oversized tank, use it for the weekend, then resell it after the ride??
Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #47
Alfredo(icelander) OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Hey KJD - Friday looks like we will ride all the southwest stuff before lunch. There will be a point where we break off and head out of the park to go get gas and lunch. That break off point will be within 3-4 miles from the main "old" parking lot that has the snack shack. You could ride all that morning stuff, then evaluate whether you have enough gas to get to lunch with the group. After lunch we will enter the park "in the middle on Hwy 116" and then make our way south towards camp.

Of course all that ^ ^ ^ ^depends on Trblmkrs feedback. He might think it's un-doable.

It's just from watching you-tube clips, most of which are on slow moving jeeps or quads, I just think we are going to be able to cover most the trails pretty quick. A lot of the "real" trail sections seem to be 2 miles or less and I know we can cover two miles pretty fast. Most of them don't really look that hard (except for the double blacks like you said, they look like busted case / radiator city).

Can you strap some gas on the bike or carry it in your backpack? If it looks like you might be able to make it lunch, then prob some of the big tank bikes (if any??) could share some gas to get you out of the park?? Bring some oil too.

Or buy a used oversized tank, use it for the weekend, then resell it after the ride??

I would like to try some hard stuff. thats the fun stuff. My 450 has a big tank I might share if your nice.
Alfredo(icelander) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #48
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Haha ok I will try to be nice. We usually ride about 30 miles then go back to the campground and have lunch and fill up at the truck then head out again but I'm good with whatever really. Any ideas on where lunch might be??

And I'm up for hitting any of the trails alfredo. My bikes hit the ground several times before so I'm not scured

KJD19892 screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 02:34 PM
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #49
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Alfredo just sexted me and said to make sure we run " rattle rock".

It's only 4 miles long so we should get thru it pretty quick:

Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #50
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Lunch Friday will be at New River General store - NE of Petros, TN

Hey KJD - most (if not all) of what we run will be two track , fast(er) flowing stuff. Hardly no point and shoot trials. Maybe you can make it more than 30 on a tank??

It would be nice if we could get turned on to some of the single track there. If any of you have a connection that can put us on some singletrack then by all means, get on the phone and start begging
Old 10-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #51
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Rattle Rock looks familiar.

And I might be able to get a bit more than 30 out of my tank but probably not much because my 30 estimate is from riding at c.c. But I have my own map and know my way around that park reasonably well so don't plan anything around my fuel I can just split off when I start running low. Thats the down side of riding my 250 it only holds about 1.6 gallons and it doesnt have a reserve. But it's my baby
Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #52
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the trail running from our campsite to the trail head. It was the first time I had used my GoPro and I tried it on the handle bars which failed miserably but this is what the gravel roads look like more or less.
http://youtu.be/ozH0yMQXRPc
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #53
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
[QUOTE=Alfredo(icelander);19937955]what day you showing up to and I will put it on the list[/QUOTe

I will go on Thursday ! !
Old 10-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #54
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDragon View Post
Why it always gotta be about little bikes?
Hey Drift Dragon, I got a 05 1200 GS , might hook up sometime and make a day ride with ya ! let me know if you have a time in mind.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #55
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Any idea on what time you guys are going to hit the trail fri??
Old 10-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #56
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Hey Spinnich man - You and I will def ride up together.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #57
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD19892 View Post
Any idea on what time you guys are going to hit the trail fri??
The earlier the better.
Kickstands up at 8 ---- 8:30 at latest.
With daylight savings time it will be dark at 5:15 or so??
And I am the KING of biting off more than can be chewed on how far we ride in a day
Old 10-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #58
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Hey Spinnich man - You and I will def ride up together.
Great, cheaper that way. I can meet you somewhere or be at your place anytime your ready, we can take my truck unless you are already loaded and that's fine too.
FYI the new D606 really hooks up nice ! !
Lookin forward to this !
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #59
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah about 5:15 will be official sunset, it will start getting dark sooner than that if you down in one of the holes though.
I should be able to make it there by 8 or so, I will be driving from nashville that morning and I will have to get my campsite then unload and get my gear on.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #60
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD19892 View Post
yeah about 5:15 will be official sunset, it will start getting dark sooner than that if you down in one of the holes though.
I should be able to make it there by 8 or so, I will be driving from nashville that morning and I will have to get my campsite then unload and get my gear on.
Hey Spinnit - you realize it's NEXT weekend right ! ? ! ?

KJD - We are leaving from Nashville that Thursday after work. Maybe you could ride with us and camp Thursday night?? We might get there about 10pm . . .