Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
EsquireTed OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Kitchen Pass to SE Germany

Hi Folks,

After nearly a year of dropping hints and making subtle suggestions I finally came right out and said, "to celebrate my birthday this year I would like to take a 7 day trip to Germany riding around on a rented motorcycle." To my surprise, my Wife replied in that sweet but annoying way that translates "yes you can go, but you will pay for it later..."

A little background - this will be my third trip to Germany. The first was 25 years ago when I was between high school and college and consisted of driving around in a borrowed car from Baden-Baden to Vienna and back. There was a lot of drinking and carrying on, not much sightseeing other than an off the ropes tour of the Heidelberg castle. I spoke German fairly well at the time. Then four years ago I went to Munich and Prague for 2.5 weeks just travelling around with a backpack in search of history. From Dachau to Prague Castle I found it and loved every minute of it. My German language skills had declined precipitously, but were still enough to get by.

So - I have a when (4/20 - 4/26) and where (in and around Frankfurt - proposed map), now I appeal to all for your help with the "how." I plan on arriving in Frankfurt on Sunday, the next morning heading to the/a bike rental place for a Monday to Friday rental, and leaving Saturday noon. Budgeting for $75 to $125 hotels each night, $600 for a Mon - Fri rental, and $100 a day for food and everything else. I could probably stretch this to the 18th to the 26th, but the price on everything nearly doubles.

First, there are quite a few moto rental places in and around Frankfurt. I am not in need of a brand new S1000RR, frankly I would be more than happy with an F650GS. Anyone have personal experience with a Frankfurt moto place that has decent bikes and is reasonable in price and service?

Second, taking a look at the route, any tips on what to see or do? I will freely admit I love history and all things old - off the beaten tract Castles, medieval towns, that kind of thing. I am not looking to stop and walk around a lot, mainly just rolling along enjoying the sights and sounds.

Lastly (for now, hah!) - what is the weather like the third and fourth weeks of April in that area of the world?

Thanks for any and all advice, I am truly looking forward to this trip!

Ted
Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsquireTed View Post
First, there are quite a few moto rental places in and around Frankfurt. I am not in need of a brand new S1000RR, frankly I would be more than happy with an F650GS. Anyone have personal experience with a Frankfurt moto place that has decent bikes and is reasonable in price and service?
Hi neighbor!

SERIOUSLY consider dealing with Stefan Knopf in Heidelberg (Frankfurt Airport to Heidelberg Kirchheim via train (change at Mannheim) and 250 meters to his front door).

Stefan is a fellow biker and is a great guy to deal with. I had a bike stashed with him for 4 years and it was a great experience. There is a high probability that I'll be shipping another bike over in the (relatively) near future.

One of the nice features is that he runs a small "B&B" - motel style rooms - which make the first & last nights incredibly simple.

Outside:

The "Harley" room:

N4922.5916' E00840.4795'
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsquireTed View Post
Second, taking a look at the route, any tips on what to see or do? I will freely admit I love history and all things old - off the beaten tract Castles, medieval towns, that kind of thing.Ted
Me again.

Going right past the Nurburgring without a visit? Shame on you

Weather - dress warmly.

Expect temps to be between 40 & 55F. You're at 50 degrees North Latitude (significantly north of Quebec City) and don't have the Mediterranean to save your butt like Italy has.

As far as routing - just stay off the Autobahns. The scenery is better, and the wind chill factor is lower.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
EsquireTed OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Thanks Michael! I will drop Stefan a note - I am not sure I need the bike for a full week, was more hoping for an under-$500 Monday through Friday. Any idea what it takes to get from Frankfurt Airport/Bahnhoff to Stefan's shop? Time will definitely be a factor and my goal is to have as much saddle time as possible.

The Nurburgring has been added as a sidetrip, thanks for the tip!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

It's under 2 hours. Stefan can arrange a shuttle to the airport. About the same price as the train, a bit quicker (assuming no traffic issues), and you don't have to schlep your luggage.

I usually take the train to Stefan's and the shuttle back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk