User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Operation Alternator

An email was received from Timpo in August mentioning a possible trailriding weekend just south of Calais in mid-October with the riding to be led by CrazyIvan aka Wilfried on his HP2.

Along with a few other like minded riders, Ela and myself set off on the morning of Friday 12th October in the va, bound for the Channel Tunnel and the village of Licques, about 20 miles south of Calais. Somehow Clive aka Strobingred had convinced us that taking him and his 690 with us would be in our best interest. Being charitable types we agreed only after Age Concern intervened on Clive's behalf.

The ride down to the Chunnel was uneventful as was the train ride itself. After a minor detour near the coast and nearly ending up back in the homeward bound Chunnel Terminal, we arrived in Licques to find a few familiar faces plus some new ones already there. Wilfried and his better Rose Rose were there along with a selection of Cloggies including Gunny(sp?), Wilma, Pete, Jo, Sofie and Karin. As the weather was good, Timpo, Karin, Bert and Rick had ridden off for a couple of hours to visit the remains of a WW2 V1 and V2 missile launch site but returned late afternoon soakiong wet due to heavy rain.

The plan was to trailride Saturday and Sunday but torrential rain Friday evening saw Saturday's ride cancelled, with Bert, Mike and Timpo trooping off to Rick's motorhome after diner in the campsite restaurant to consume serious quantities of whiskey which led to some off them not surfacing until early Saturday afternoon. Jo, Sofie, Karin, Bert, Ela, Clive and myself drove back up to Calais for a bit of shopping and lunch. Saturday evening was spent in a local restaurant which was nice enough but the food was not the best. Joining us was MuddyMatt and Stuart (118118) who'd ridden down on GS's for the weekend.

Our plan was for Ela to ride Saturday and then take the van to Germany first thing Sunday to visit her sister, leaving Clive and myself to ride home. As we'd not ridden Saturday, Ela decided to ride the local trails for a few hours before heading back to Licques where I helped her load the DRZ in to the van etc before she headed to Germany and I headed off to catch a ferry home.

I'd always thought of northern France as flat and boring, somewhere you travelled through whilst bound for other, more exotic or warmer destinations. However once off the motorway, we found ourselves surrounded by gently rolling low hills populated by orange Hi-Viz wearing hunters, armed mainly with shotguns, even some of the dogs wore Hi-Viz. I think the main quarry was rabbits and birds but we knew there were Boar and Deer in the area also. The trails were mainly straight with a few shallow ruts plus a few trails covered in wet grass which made for slippery going. The biggest surprise was a large hole in the ground, about 70-80ft in diameter which some of us rode in to only to find the surface was 100% slippery chalk which led to some bikes being unable to move unless given a push. It was here that Wilfried came close to dropping his lovely HP2, I managed to get a pic of him just as lifted the bike upright:

With Rick in the foreground and the remains of an old church or abbey in the background, I was pleased to have captured two old monuments inn the same photo. Back home I realised I'd struck gold as the tally had risen to three with the addition of Clive:

Rose trying to look coy next to her highly modified X-Country/Challenge:

Wilfried's HP2

Rick's tidy and desirable 690RR rally bike:

Bert and his Franken-Transalp:

Jo on his 660 Tenere:

Rick and the rally bike:

Ela and Sarah:

The rest continued with the riding after Ela and myself had departed, I've not heard of any incidents so must assume the rest of the day went well. I returned home Monday afternoon having spent Sunday night at my Dad's place near Dover, Ela's there now and will arrive home tomorrow.

Thanks to Timpo and Wilfried plus anyone else for organisng a great weekend, the trails were better than expected and easily do-able on larger bikes. I'm looking forward to riding there again next year. It was also good to see Bert, Jo, Sofie and Karin again even though it's only been a couple of months since they were over in August in Wiltshire.

All of my pics here: http://possu.smugmug.com/Motorcycles...9587&k=tfG8Kpd

Please feel free to add your photos and comments to this thread. .

Possu screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 01:41 AM
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Karin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Friday bunker visit

BB & T

V2

V1

Karin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Karin
Adventurer

Saturday:

A walk was the only real outdoor activity that is done by the tsunami we got over us

And what we see in the meadow? No 3079, which apparently also drew a ugly head from all this rain:?

Immediately No 3105 came to defend No 3079, there was no laughter with twist face!

But then in the evening the local aperitif to taste: beer with white wine, lemon syrup and picon
Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Karin
Adventurer

Sunday :

breakfast :

That looked much better:

cold

Clive, off course

If you don't come through wet chalk well, you could mutter a prayer in front of the church.

Roos :

Black Bert :

Husaberg :

Laouen :

Wilma :

Steve :

spoty :

Ella :

Duibceck (ténère man ;) )

Laouen :

Peet :

Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Karin
Adventurer

Cool roads, beautiful region

so close to Britain

The last part of the journey, which was solid!

But eventually we were two men and three women who have gone to the end. Bravo, nice done Sarrah Teach , Rose

it was super cool, the companie, the ride and all the water
Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post

so close and yet so far from culture and civilisation

Nice photos Karin, thanks for posting.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post

But eventually we were two men and three women who have gone to the end. Bravo....

Indeed.... of the five riders finishing the whole day's track, 3 were female!

NOTED.

Thanks for coming everybody, I thought it was great fun.

@ WM O'Borneo.... thanks for the grog! It was just the ticket.....

I have a couple of small trail rides planned for the coming months, and the March Moon is on for 2013, so hopefully see you at these meets.
Cheers.
Timpo.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
strobingred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
op alternator

Have to agree a good weekend, even though I did not get a touch of the whiskey bottle. But by all accounts not much left at the send of the session.

Here is a small video of the sunday.

https://vimeo.com/51554982

regards to all. Another top time.

clive
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
Karin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobingred View Post

clive

nice compilation your movie

Lucky Twerp ?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Rose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Here's a few highlights from my camera:

At one of the many wet lanes I was surprised by the deepness of the water and got soaked topped to bottom....
Thinking someone else would make the same mistake, I rushed to park the bike and run back with my camera only to be disappointed that the rest was taking the easy way in the middle.....
Just when I slowly pressed the button, the boring picture I thought I was taking turned out to be a bit different:

Not yet sure what happened, I felt I had to make another one:

Just to realise it was Wilma, who had taken a plunge....

Well, apparantly there were more ladies that weren't satiesfied with the showerfacilities at the campsite, so Karin decided to take a little shower as well only a few km's near the end of the day.....
(Don't know how to copy movies in here, so you just need to follow the link yourselve):
http://roos.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-e...5965&k=fDfNqP6

Sarah was probaly sneaking into Rick's luxury mobile home shower every day, so she rather kept her feet dry:
http://roos.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-e...4632&k=8f7NH9v

The rest pretty much kept to the common way of riding water crossings:
http://roos.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-e...9244&k=WH8G22F

Plenty more pictures, but need to go home now...
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 792
Looks like Wiltshire

Old 10-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboneleg View Post
Looks like Wiltshire
well, the chalk is just as slippery...
duibhceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobingred View Post
Have to agree a good weekend, even though I did not get a touch of the whiskey bottle. But by all accounts not much left at the send of the session.

regards to all. Another top time.

clive
Nice video Clive, what software did you use?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 367
Had a great weekend, despite the lousy weather on Saturday. The ride Sunday was most excellent and the company just as enjoyable. Thanks to the organization team for having us and of course to everyone else for the company.

The friendly folk at Point2 had lend me the latest model Drift HD to test out for the weekend. It turned out to be a pretty nice piece of kit. A lot more compact than the previous incarnation, comes with a remote out of the box and seems to produce excellent quality images. At least before I get my primitive hands on the footage and screw it all up.

Given that an old fa... I mean young god like Clive managed to produce a pretty decent little movie I figured it could not be that hard, so gave it a shot myself as well. Turns out it is not quite that easy
Especially not if you forget to check whether the lens is in landscape mode when making the footage

Anyway, my very first ever attempt can be viewed here:
duibhceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #15
strobingred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Nice video Clive, what software did you use?
I did it on my mac using movie maker.

clive