Oddometer: 2,640
Gee Whizz SS can't you find someone your own size to pick on
A stock R80 will outrun a CRF450.
Tell him to get a real bike.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #32
supershaft OP
because I can

Oddometer: 8,651
A stock R80? Quite a bit less less hp. A little more torque and right around twice the weight. I don't think so. But I know what you are saying. If you saw the roads we ride on, you would understand that, besides his now big power defecit, his total package is a huge advantage. He knows that much as well as I do but why he thinks taller gearing will enable him to out motor my now much stronger running engine? I don't know either!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #33
supershaft OP
because I can

Well, I am almost done jetting my bike. I don't know how Rob conducted his airfilter experiments that showed him that his flat filter restricted airflow above 5700rpm. I just did some test runs and with my setup and there is virtually no difference up to 8000rpm with or without my K+N. My setup: Stacks shortened to just inside the box and then I did my test hill with JUST the K+N filter on top of the box and then with no filter. Virtually no difference. Does the K+N flow much better than the stock paper? In my experience not that much if any. Yes, you can see through a K+N but they keep my square airbox cleaner by far than the stock paper filters or anything else I have seen used. That's why I run them. Squeaky clean airbox. Stock paper? At least a bunch of dust gets in!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #34
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,793
Wow ! That's great SS. You're just in time for the Winter riding season.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #35
supershaft OP
because I can

I know. I just got home. First the Dirt Bag Challenge and then an awesome jazz show. Talk about two different worlds!! It was a cold ride home. I now have my jetting pretty much sorted out until I weld up some new exhaust. Earleir today I cruised to the next block from the Challenge and got into the throttle from around 30mph. Even though I was leaning into it way over the bars the front end still came up a foot until I let off of it. No bumps or anything. Just another honest straight up power wheelie. I have ridden other airheads that would power wheelie in first but they didn't have a CR gearset with a 33/11 FD! Yee ha!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #36
RGregor
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I have ridden other airheads that would power wheelie in first but they didn't have a CR gearset with a 33/11 FD! Yee ha!
Now, I don't want to depress you, but I know beemers that will do power wheelies in second gear.
Mine for example (stock gearset, also 11/33 FD).

Welcome to the club ...

However, power of your bike at high revs seems to be very impressive. Keep on posting.
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #37
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGregor View Post
Now, I don't want to depress you, but I know beemers that will do power wheelies in second gear.
Keep in mind though that he's using the close ratio racing transmission which has a pretty tall first gear.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #38
RGregor
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Keep in mind though that he's using the close ratio racing transmission which has a pretty tall first gear.
I'm totally aware of that fact and I know the ratios of the CR gearset.
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #39
supershaft OP
because I can

Well, I am just happy with how my bike is running and trying to share info. I will hopefuly get pictures soon but right now I have some important trips and whatnot to take and then hip surgery at the end of the month so I am afraid it won't be soon enough. I am afraid that the pictures aren't going to say much since it's pretty much a sleeper.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #40
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Well, I am just happy with how my bike is running and trying to share info. I will hopefuly get pictures soon but right now I have some important trips and whatnot to take and then hip surgery at the end of the month so I am afraid it won't be soon enough. I am afraid that the pictures aren't going to say much since it's pretty much a sleeper.
The only way we'll see a piccy is to send the paparazzi around.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #41
supershaft OP
because I can

I was talking with my landlord and realized that I got my friends' bikes mixed up. That was a chipped and piped Hypermotard that just barely out pulled me up a long, steep hill as we were passing some cars, not a Multistrada (before I got my bike running better). I think I am going to take him now. Engine to engine that is. I could already take him otherwise. At any rate, I am just trying to describe how it's running. Who is running the strongest? That takes a good roll on race through at least a couple of gears IMO. Third gear takes me to around 105mph. Fourth up to around 125. That's enough for me.

High revs? The more I do to it for 'high revs', the stronger it is on the bottom. It is noticably stronger above 6500rpm and below 4000rpm now but my biggest gains since the last setup is right in the meat of where I ride: from around 4000 to 6500rpm. I have been watching my tach a lot lately and realize even more than before that I almost never ride below 3000rpm. Even though my tuning focuses above that, my sub 3k power is still quite a bit more than stock from idle on up.

I forgot to mention that I have rode my bike enough now to realize that balancing my rods made a difference. It is noticably smoother now. Thanks robtg. I tried to do it at my shop but I could tell that my quickly set up gizmo wasn't accurate enough. Robtg dialed them in for me. IMO, it is a very subjective operation with a real good setup. Sure, you could claim you get them down a gnat's ass but that all depends on how you breath when you read the scale!

supershaft screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 03:32 PM
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #42
supershaft OP
because I can

I am just about done fine tuning the setup I have now. I am going to try some 160 mains just to make sure I am where it needs to be. I have 165's in it now. Except for the mains, nothing else got changed from before. I don't think I will be reving it as high as I use to. There is no need. The thing has SO much more low and midrange power now. Basically removing the top of my airbox and shortening the stacks really helped mid range and top end. I can still tell that it really needs a freeer breathing exhaust now for more high end power. I won't be surprised if it would help all through the rev range. So far and very differently than before the higher CR and port work, everything I do for the top end helps everywhere. Those 336's are GREAT cams!

It sounds different now too. Hard on the gas its exhaust note has more of a hum to it.

For some reason I counted how many tires I have put on this bike. I got it with 28,000 miles but my maintenance records are on a garage post at my last house up until 47,824. Between 47k and now (101,854 miles) I have put 22 tires on that bike and I have only used tires that last me twice as long as others on this bike. For instance, I can squeeze over 3000 miles out of an Avon and I am very lucky to get 2000 out of a Metzeler. And the Avons grip MUCH better! It's a good thing I don't ride bikes for economy!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #43
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 477
Waiting for pictures.
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #44
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post
Waiting for pictures.
+1... especially the airbox and these new stacks.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #45
supershaft OP
because I can

I have family stuff to do right now and then hip surgery but I am shooting for early next month to get some pics up. Don't expect too much. I like the looks of it but it is definitely not a looker by most people's standards.