User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Cool2 an Intro and a Plan

Alright everyone, hello! i'm a noob. my name is Micah, and i'm 31. i live (lived?) in san luis obisp, ca. my wife just left me so on the first of Nov. 2012, i'll be leaving on a very long trip. i've got no experience with it, but i plan to make the best of it. it'll be on my little 2001 honda rebel. so far my plan is to go up to fresno, down through bakersfield to LA, then fllow the 10 to the east coast, go up the east coast to canada, then back down through the states, shoot through mexico and follow the south american coast down, around, and up.
Got a lot of planning to do, and a short time to do it in. just got waterproof gloves from someone who turned out to be an ADV'er, and a lot of good advice. also just got a luggage rack/sissy bar that with minor modification should work on my bike. i've got some maintenance to do and a lot of supplies to get, not to mention planning, but i'm damn excited. so yup, good to meet you all.

-why did the O on my netbook suddenly start giving me problems? if future posts are missing O's, decipher them to the best of your ability.
LemonyLeprosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Bummer on the relationship but congrats on your choice of therapy. Two thoughts:

First, a long trip is simply a bunch of short ones and with an open itinerary like your's I'd just make sure you have access to a bundle of cash, a couple hotel hunting apps on your iPhone, and a credit card that gets you airline miles (you'll be able to fly somewhere by the time you get back. After that just plan it a few days at a time, stay off the interstate as much as possible for the two lane roads are MUCH more interesting.

Second, watch the weather. Not sure how long you plan to be out there but the norther half of the country can get snow pretty much any time after tomorrow.

Oh, and never buy cheap tires. Never.

Oh, Oh...Start a blog, practice your writing, look up the submittal requirements for the cycle mags and earn some $$ publishing ride reports.

Check out the info here: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com

If/when you pass through Seattle, let me know. I'll get a bunch of riding buddies to keep you company on the road for a day or two.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Wink

thank you, will do. i dont know how long i plan to be out either. minimum 1 year. i plan on doing a ride repoert both on here, and facebook, and journaling along the way, writing has always been a way to find peace and solice for me. i plan on sticking to the southern states east bound, but yeah, weather has been concerning me, i need find a good place that breaks down the typical weather patterns for a typical season throughout the continent and the one below me. all in all, while i'm a little scared, i'm really excited. as long as i can stick to a budget of $29 a day, which i know isnt much, then i can stay on the road for as long as i want/am able. thank you for the advice, its greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

and eventually, i will be passing through seattle, cause my sister lives in washington, and i'd like to see alaska too, but this is all after winter, until then i'll hafta be elsewhere.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonyLeprosy View Post
as long as i can stick to a budget of $29 a day, which i know isnt much, then i can stay on the road for as long as i want/am able
I figure your daily costs are food, gas and shelter. If you stealth camp a lot, you can double your gas budget. Maybe $10/day food and $20/day for gas? That'll get you about 300 miles down the road and put food in your belly. Those are the numbers I've planned for myself for similar trips.

Good luck with the weather. Rough time of year to start a trip like this. Let me know if you need a place to wrench on the bike or crash for a few days up the coast near Santa Cruz.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Thank you. Yeah, that's pretty much the plan, $20 in gas, $5 on food (I've lived off less than $5 a day for years before), and then either squirrelling away the other $4 to $5 a day or (most likely) spending it on rum.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
If it were me, I would get down to the Keys for the winter. Don't know your skill set but you could probably find some kind of work during the winter. Then in springtime you could head north and or west. Don't forget to budget for some maintenance costs on your bike.
Good luck

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

i'm trying my best to leave emergency funds, but we'll see how that works out. my on the road budget is set, but i'm working with a less than ideal amount of prep/leaving money. so, my official leave date is Nov. 5th. God, i wish she would have chosen to divorce me in the beginning of summer.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Whelp, slight change of plans. Now i'm leaving (for sure) Nov. 12th. I just can't decide if I wanna head to the east coast first and brave the winter in the states, or head down to Mexico first to hit up 2 rainbow gatherings, then come back up and hit up the east coast, and then backtrack back through Mexico to south america. My goal here is to at a minimum double the mileage on my motorcycle, which is currently around 13k to 14k miles.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,877
stay the hell below I-40 from now until atleast the middle to end of March, minimum.
trust me I have experience at this

I would go south, then east, north, then west.
If you can make it last 9 months or more the above will work.

I am not sure of your time frame, but you can stay in PERFECT camping weather if you do it right.

Even deep south Tex/ norMex will get snow in Dec/Jan.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
eightup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
If you happen to pass through Arkansas hit me up. I may be able to join you for a few miles and give you a place to shake off the weather.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
My advice is to stay South until Spring. Riding north this time of year is not a good idea. Unless, you like to freeze your ass off and ride in Snow. It is up to you. Regardless, have a epic journey.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Will do. I'm almost ready to leave. Just gotta ghetto rig this luggage rack.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
LemonyLeprosy OP
Adventurer

Laugh

Had to delay one last time, but I leave tomorrow (11/13/2012) at 11am. Will start a proper ride report after the first leg or two.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Kick some ass.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote