Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Got a Spot device and used it on my last ride, does everything you mention and I'm very pleased with it.
Just don't try to use it in Southern Africa or India or Southern Argentina/Chile. I finally switched to inReach. Messages go within seconds and are delivered within a minute in most cases that I've tried (clear view of the sky). I also managed to send a few messages from inside the home office - the "signal" LED showed a connection so I gave it a try.

The ability to two-way text is extremely useful. The other feature I really like is that you can adjust the Tracking from once every 10min to once every 30min, 1hr, 2hr and 4hrs.

It would really be nice if they would optionally feed the Tracking locations the same as they do "Messages".

Anyway, inReach is now my standard.

(I don't work for Delorme nor have they provided me with any service, hardware or cash for my statements)

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,244
The iPhone app mentioned above is Life360. It's free and works well. It uses a combination of the gps function of the phone and tower triangulation. It does offer limited texting ability and I know it has limitations in heavily treed areas.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #18
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Just don't try to use it in Southern Africa or India or Southern Argentina/Chile. I finally switched to inReach. Messages go within seconds and are delivered within a minute in most cases that I've tried (clear view of the sky). I also managed to send a few messages from inside the home office - the "signal" LED showed a connection so I gave it a try.

The ability to two-way text is extremely useful. The other feature I really like is that you can adjust the Tracking from once every 10min to once every 30min, 1hr, 2hr and 4hrs.

It would really be nice if they would optionally feed the Tracking locations the same as they do "Messages".

Anyway, inReach is now my standard.

(I don't work for Delorme nor have they provided me with any service, hardware or cash for my statements)

Cheers,
Thanks for the feedback, I had never heard of InReach but will check it out, cheers C
Old 10-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Operating costs are pretty steep if you are going to be using it non-stop. $12 or $25 per month plus the messaging fees and especiallly tracking points will get pretty pricey after you blow throug the included amount. Not like SPOT where you can just show your track online for a flat rate.

But, if you have the coin, it is truly global using the Iridium satphone network.

The inReach costs are pretty similar. The acquisition cost is lower, but it is not a 100% self contained unit like the Pieps.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Operating costs are pretty steep if you are going to be using it non-stop. $12 or $25 per month plus the messaging fees and especiallly tracking points will get pretty pricey after you blow throug the included amount. Not like SPOT where you can just show your track online for a flat rate.

But, if you have the coin, it is truly global using the Iridium satphone network.

The inReach costs are pretty similar. The acquisition cost is lower, but it is not a 100% self contained unit like the Pieps.
I like the packaging idea of the Pieps. I think this community has been talking about a "Garmin Montana-sized" device that had Iridium-based Location features and a complete GPS software system. Pieps looks like it will need a fair amount of time to catch up to inReach as far as Dealer Service and Acquisition. Cost is another non-competitive point for me. The current inReach Recreation Plan cost is more comparable to SPOT annual cost given that GEOS is included and you have two-way Messaging to anyone - including other inReach devices. I do like the Weather Service feature of the Pieps but again that's just a "message". The inReach (Blue or Green) services could easily add Weather to the device as a push service you subscribe to on your explore.delorme.com account.

I just installed the inReach on my GS with the newly released Automotive Power Adapter (slightly modified for all-weather use). Now I don't have to carry a pannier full of lithium batteries around the world.

Competition is good for us in this space. As long as there is a market these devices will only get "better".

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Eflyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Pretty much covered above - spot works well - not perfectly, but it is very affordable.

InReach is the next-gen technology and works much better - as a result, it's much more expensive.
..a