Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #2056
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
So far I had done 300 km since Olgiy in just over 4 hours, including a fuel and food break, by riding like a complete redneck. I was being brutal with the bike, but I HAD to get to Irkutsk and catch my flight.

My Mission to ride solo across Mongolia in 2 and a half days was ... so far so good.
Speaking of Beaver Fever......

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 AM   #2057
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
The guesthouse.

At this point Walter was still waiting for his clothes to dry, before he would get back on the bike.
With the weather condition's getting better and better he could still do quite a few km's that would help him to reach Irkutsk in time.

After hanging my tent and bike gear to dry I grabbed my binoculars for some more birdwatching.

This is the best picture I have from the inside of our luxurious cave.

When I tried to make a pic of the car they used to chase tourists a local boy walked into my view finder.
The moment a tourist car or a group of bikers would come into the town the whole family would start to panic and jump in the car. Chasing them till they could show the paper that Rod mentioned to lure them back to their Bed&breakfast.

Rod was thinking how to swap his front sprocket for a smaller one while Tee Bee did some things to his own bike. (I think a brake pad change just like I did on Beamsters bike 10 min later).

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #2058
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
The moment a tourist car or a group of bikers would come into the town the whole family would start to panic and jump in the car. Chasing them till they could show the paper that Rod mentioned to lure them back to their Bed&breakfast.
Under British law he'd 've been up in front of the beak for misrepresentation, but beggars can't be choosers and we were pretty glad to have the joint as a warm stopgap.
When the sun went down we went to hang our still soaking boots etc up in a wee room at the back with a woodburning stove, and we left them stacked around the stove and dangling from the ceiling in the heat.
Being as cold and wet as we'd been fairly takes it out of you, and I seem to remember we all went to bed pretty early.
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #2059
Mehaniotis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Under British law he'd 've been up in front of the beak for misrepresentation, but beggars can't be choosers and we were pretty glad to have the joint as a warm stopgap.
When the sun went down we went to hang our still soaking boots etc up in a wee room at the back with a woodburning stove, and we left them stacked around the stove and dangling from the ceiling in the heat.
Being as cold and wet as we'd been fairly takes it out of you, and I seem to remember we all went to bed pretty early.
You went looking for adventure, didn't you?

Personally I can relate to that adobe shack as well as the goat milking having been born and raised out in the Greek boondocks Spl? With sheep shiete oozing between my toes while walking shoeless in January's cold.

I envy you guys but I am not sure you appreciate the native culture to its fullest......Just try to remember that what you endured for one night they on the other hand have to endure those conditions for the rest of their lives..
Okay, Lets have some more.
Mehaniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #2060
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehaniotis View Post
You went looking for adventure, didn't you?

Personally I can relate to that adobe shack as well as the goat milking having been born and raised out in the Greek boondocks Spl? With sheep shiete oozing between my toes while walking shoeless in January's cold.

I envy you guys but I am not sure you appreciate the native culture to its fullest......Just try to remember that what you endured for one night they on the other hand have to endure those conditions for the rest of their lives..
Okay, Lets have some more.
M.
Please don't mistake light irony for dissatisfaction and as I've stated, we were delighted to have the accomodation. As for appreciating local culture? read on........

ROD CURRIE screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 07:47 AM Reason: typo
Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #2061
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Next morning

Walter had gone charging off in to the evening in the manner of a man on a mission-(there's that alliteration again-or it it something else ?..
Mong is alive with livestock from pigmy goats right up to yaks and horses and they all wander at will. It wouldn't be unusual during the day to have to stop whilst a herd of wild-ish horses crossed in front. At least horses are somewhat predictable. Yaks are seriously dumb and can do anything-running alongside you bucking and kicking then dodging in front of you is not unusual. At night? who knows...
We knew he'd be flying and beating the bejasus out of himself and the bike to cover the ground -almost all of which was dirt track.
We wished him God speed whilst having no little concern for the task he'd set himself.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #2062
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post

So far I had done 300 km since Olgiy in just over 4 hours, including a fuel and food break, by riding like a complete redneck..
There are lots of these riders in South Carolina. Their ADV journeys are usually limited to a trek to Daytona for the annual biker circus.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #2063
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 57

We got up quite early the next morning and as the weather was looking cautiously better started to get our gear together.
We'd paid for the accomodation the night before and part of the deal was breakfast.Our host had clearly invested the cash wisely and bought a stack of beer which he and his pals had partied with until the small hours and it looked unlikeley we'd be getting any breakfast until lunchtime, as he was in the back room with the stove pushing out the ZZZzs.
He was alseep with his wife on a futon mattress (on the floor) so we snuck around getting our gear down from the ceiling etc and packed the bikes up.
The day was still looking a little threatening, but we eased out of town and hit the road. The track was good and we fairly bowled along.

Photobucket

After we'd been running for an hour or two what should we see coming the other way but a couple of bikes, so we slowed down to hail them as they were doing exactly the same.

Photobucket

The bikes were the ubiquitous Planeta, a Russia 2 stroke of 60's design and about 200CC found pretty much anywhere in the old Soviet arena of influence and still I think available new now.
One of them had no front brake and as you can see there's a somewhat cavalier attitude to personal protection. NOTGNOTT
In fairness there's almost nothing to hit (livestock notwithstanding) and we'd only see a vehicle maybe every hour-the moto is just a mental step up from the horse so maybe has been viewed as such WRT the gear worn

ROD CURRIE screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 08:40 AM
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #2064
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Riders

We tried to talk to the guys for a few minutes but it was really quite difficult as they understandably had no English and we shamefully had half a dozen words of Russian between us. Don't read anything into their not smiling. It's not unusual to be with these guys and laughing away, but when the camera comes out they go deadpan. Beats me but so does lots of stuff.
These guys are on 90/10s (like Trailwings) but seem to get anywhere we can with all our knobblies, fuel injection and modern kit. More on this later.
Eventually we all mounted up, waved our goodbyes and parted.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #2065
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Landscape

The day started to improve, the skies to lift and everything to get that feelgood vibe. Mongolia had showed us its worst face yesterday and had now decided we deserved a smile.
What a smile.........

Photobucket.

The smile kept getting bigger...wow!

Photobucket
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #2066
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Peeps

Walter has stated somewhere that you're never far from people on Mongolia and this was borne out now. I stopped to take this pic above and if you look there is no one ahead for miles.
I snapped the pic and popped my camera back in my breast pocket. Before I could hop on the bike this family appeared in their wee jeep...WTF!!

Photobucket

I'd just said hello when P & B pulled up behind me. I've no idea where this family appeared from

The boy is like boys anywhere, can't get near enough to the bike and his Dad wanted a pic of the boy standing next to the bike
I asked him to hop on and he couldn't have looked happier --until his dad popped his camera out and he remembered.."I need to look solemn and dignifed " and the smile disappeared until the camera had done its evil work.

Photobucket

ROD CURRIE screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 08:58 AM
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #2067
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
The day started to improve, the skies to lift and everything to get that feelgood vibe. Mongolia had showed us its worst face yesterday and had now decided we deserved a smile.
What a smile.........

Photobucket.
Wow, what a picture!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #2068
kahlgryndiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
The bikes were the ubiquitous Planeta, a Russia 2 stroke of 60's design and about 200CC found pretty much anywhere in the old Soviet arena of influence and still I think available new now.
The Planeta is a 350cc and the one in the back is something from China with 150cc
How ever, the Planeta is still available as new. For about 1000 € in Mongolia. Much more expensive than the chinese ones I think.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #2069
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 336
Yeah!

The Planeta 5 is the thumper..
There's also a twin cylinder IZH, the Jupiter 5, also a 350cc 2stroke..

Russian bikes, I think there's no much to say about them

Now, keep it coming!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #2070
kahlgryndiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Russian bikes, I think there's no much to say about them
You're right. There's nothing more to say. Since I don't have a car, the Planeta outfit is my everyday ride here in Germany.
800 km every month But only in winter. During the summer time I'm riding my Enfield Bullet. Just to look beautiful. But when it counts, I take the Planeta.

I also have a combination of russian, ukrainian and chinese parts calling the MAMUF750 Flathead. But this is an other story