Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #3646
BDG
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemic01 View Post
Hi guys.
Here is a beta version from the BAM road. It is just a bunch of videoclips thrown together and is not very well edited at this point. Since theis is just a pre-release and not a final version I have chosen to password protect it. So consider this as a special beta version for you Advrider inmates. A better version with tighter editing will be available at some point later.
Photographers: This is a collection of videos filmed by the whole crew so thanks to Geir, Erik, Walter and Terry for your contribution.

Check it out here and use the password "rtw2012"
http://vimeo.com/59360179

Superb, really enjoyed the video, this whole report is gripping reading, mouth watering and inspirational

I'm a very efficient idiot.
BDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #3647
joatmoa
Joatmoa

Oddometer: 46
Another fabulous report

I've just managed to catch up with this thread and thought I'd chuck a couple of, what I believe, are facts into the mix.
When KTM were asked to supply bikes for the Long Way Round crew they were also asked to make a substantial donation towards the films production costs. I believe it was over £180,000. KTM was a small firm at that time and couldn't afford to 'donate' that amount. BMW obviously could.
The problem with the 2008 KTM FI pump was that KTM sent the spec sheet for the pump to China and had them built there. Unfortunately the builders 'cheapened' the design. This caused major problems on the 2008/9 models when bits broke off inside the pump. It wouldn't make any difference what fuel or what additive you put into your bike at the time. If you had a Chinese pump, it was going to fail.
I was closely connected to the KTM franchise once and I believe that the above facts are true.
In 2011 when I took a Ural Cross sidecar outfit to Mongolia, I heard a lot of stories about the LWR trip. If half of them were true then it was a filming exercise to make money.
Now to a leading question...
Does anyone know if there's a viable track up the Eastern side of Lake Baikal to the BAM road? I'm heading around the World in May and would like to take the Vitim Bridge in but didn't want to track back to Irkutsk, from Mongolia, unless strictly necessary.
By the by, for my journey I'm using an air-cooled, carburetor'd bike with soft luggage and without ABS. Then I can fix just about anything on it. I've also shunned the use of aluminium as it's easier to find a MiG welder than a TiG welder when in the wilds.
Love the report.
joatmoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #3648
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
Steve that is a great little film you've made. Really captures many of the challenges the team faced!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #3649
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Hi far,
Sherri-Jo Wilkins has been on a long RTW ride on hers for a couple of years and contacted me the other week about hers-I think she was having pump issues..quel surprise!
She now has more then 100,000 kms on it and it's still all good, so they'll do the miles.
If my memory is correct, she had about 90,000 kms before she needed to replace her topend. And the fuel pump that went at 100,000 miles...? That was the original.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #3650
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,626
Incredible video! Thank You!!!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #3651
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarrff View Post
incredible video! Thank you!!!
+1
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #3652
cvcaelen
Guzzi-rider

Oddometer: 107
indeed,
thanks for that video.
Don't you guys have an adrenaline-rush after crossing those bridges,
I know I have, just by watching the video

hasn't been said enough: wonderful report & stories: giant thumbs up

Christiaan
who will never complain again about some bad roads over here
not after seeing what you've been through
cvcaelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #3653
70East
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Amazing

This picture just speaks words. The gentleman seems to see something in you that he admires.

This is my first post and this RR is the sole reason why I created an account. If its too much to ask, I am curious as to how many in the group are prior military, not that it matters. But it does take a special kind of person to keep on going with a smile while it gets miserable at spots.

Thanks for the storyline, I look forward to reading this every morning when I get to "work". Often pretending as I ride to and from work.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #3654
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Awesome video, thanks for taking the time to put that together and posting.
Jörg.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #3655
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Hi guys.
Here is a beta version from the BAM road. It is just a bunch of videoclips thrown together and is not very well edited at this point. Since theis is just a pre-release and not a final version I have chosen to password protect it. So consider this as a special beta version for you Advrider inmates. A better version with tighter editing will be available at some point later.
Photographers: This is a collection of videos filmed by the whole crew so thanks to Geir, Erik, Walter and Terry for your contribution.

you guys rock. awesome video. awesome thread. just amazed at every turn. thank you!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #3656
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
+1

Those sleepers just look so slick.
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #3657
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox8 View Post

This picture just speaks words. The gentleman seems to see something in you that he admires.
About 20cm in body height?

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #3658
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Hi guys.

- Steve. That was the last bridge !
- Was it ?! Ooh yeah, I'm fucking sick of these bridges !

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #3659
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmoa View Post
The problem with the 2008 KTM FI pump was that KTM sent the spec sheet for the pump to China and had them built there. Unfortunately the builders 'cheapened' the design. This caused major problems on the 2008/9 models when bits broke off inside the pump. It wouldn't make any difference what fuel or what additive you put into your bike at the time. If you had a Chinese pump, it was going to fail.

I have an 08 690 Enduro. While my bike did suffer from some of the common growing pains, my fuel pump never failed, or faltered up to ~30k miles on the original, when the engine went on me. From reading the old 690 megathread on ADV, it seemed that most people who had problems with the fuel pump, had run their bikes out of fuel. Not that that should matter, but it did seem pretty consistent from my observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #3660
mbravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Hi guys.

I've put an annotation on the Russian song in the comments on Vimeo :-)

Awesome footage, guys!

I really need to get off my lazy ass and do the RR on the last summer trip to Rybachy peninsula - nowhere as epic as yours, but still :-)

Eagerly awaiting further installments of this saga! ;-)
mbravo is offline   Reply With Quote