Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #4051
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
Fabulous, and highly typical - apart for the rough justice meted out to the Lada trying to get ahead on the soft shoulder. Usually people placidly accept this as part of the bullying chain.

Not quite the way it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4dDStWh0E

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #4052
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAussie View Post
I must disagree with you on that. My stock 05 Dakar wouldn't even take me around Colorado without multiple issues. There are issues that need to be addressed, such as the rear shock, headlight mounting, etc before the Dakar can be reliably taken on an offroad adventure.
You're entitled of course and don't get me wrong - I've done alot of mods to mine, a little here and a little there based on experiences and personal taste, but I'm still convinced it could've done it without most of them.

You can of course modify anything and everything, but for each mod you do you only move the weakest link/ part somewhere else. It's a neverending loop. At some point you just have to ride what you've got and maybe adjust your angle of attack to your current weakest point and not ride it like a 250cc motocross bike in the dirt or a 1300cc sport bike on the highway.

I replaced my headlight very early on, but mainly because the light was too poor, not because there were anything the matter with the mount.
My rear shock suvived for ages untill a bush-mechanic let gas out of it when replacing the top bushing*. Still rode it for about 20-25k kms with it sitting 5cm /2in lower i nthe back than it should.
*Which was toast because my home made centerstand interfered with the shock links and the weakest point was the top bushing.

The few mods I deem nescessary are
  • Progressive fork springs
  • Lock washers on all engine and frame bolts
  • A decent luggage rack
But each to his/ her own.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #4053
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 627
Interestingly, John Deere quit using lock washers on their large tractor assembly lines back in the 1980s (father in law plant engineer). Correct torque was the key, not lock washers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post

The few mods I deem nescessary are
  • Progressive fork springs
  • Lock washers on all engine and frame bolts
  • A decent luggage rack
But each to his/ her own.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #4054
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Day 71.

Sorry I didn't post yesterday guys. I was hit by several low-flying beers whilst watching the England-France rugby match. In a spirit of fraternalism I was in a pub with a Frenchman and and Englishman ands alas we ended up fraternally stoated. . I'll post 2 days today in payment.

My own side-Scotland are playing the foul, gay and orc-like Paddies :ymca today so I may yet have to recommence the Battle of the Beer in support of my own Shining, manly and Brave paragons of the great game.
Any comment Fray Bentos?
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #4055
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Sorry I didn't post yesterday guys. I was hit by several low-flying beers whilst watching the England-France rugby match. In a spirit of fraternalism I was in a pub with a Frenchman and and Englishman ands alas we ended up fraternally stoated. . I'll post 2 days today in payment.

My own side-Scotland are playing the foul and orc-like Paddies today so I may yet have to recommence the Battle of the Beer in support of my own Shining and Brave paragons of the great game.
Any comment Fray Bentos?
Rod - I love your commentary and keep it up! This yank just needs to find an interpreter as to what this means. Best of luck to your team.
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #4056
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Sorry I didn't post yesterday guys. I was hit by several low-flying beers whilst watching the England-France rugby match. In a spirit of fraternalism I was in a pub with a Frenchman and and Englishman ands alas we ended up fraternally stoated. .

What was the punchline?
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #4057
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,122
Quote:

My own side-Scotland are playing the foul, gay and orc-like Paddies :ymca today so I may yet have to recommence the Battle of the Beer in support of my own Shining, manly and Brave paragons of the great game.
Any comment Fray Bentos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
What was the punchline?
The punchline will come when he next sees Fray Bentos!
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #4058
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
The punchline will come when he next sees Fray Bentos!
It's a------ SCOT----IRISH thing, you wouldn't understand

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #4059
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
It's a------ SCOT----IRISH thing, you wouldn't understand
IRISH, scot thing!

And back to the RR......
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #4060
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
IRISH, scot thing!

And back to the RR......
Well that was unexpected. Congrats to Rod - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21540230

Now, back to the RR
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #4061
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
Interestingly, John Deere quit using lock washers on their large tractor assembly lines back in the 1980s (father in law plant engineer). Correct torque was the key, not lock washers.
Yeah, I'm not big on checking torque values before putting things back together other than on the engine. So maybe you could do one mod less if you carried a torque wrench, then again 10 lock washers take less space.

Also, a diesel tractor doesn't rev at 4000-7500 rpm for hours at the time while going over terrain at 60+mph

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #4062
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
An appropriate tune by a brother from the CD in Seattle!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s5Dn...layer_embedded
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #4063
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

What a result

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Well that was unexpected. Congrats to Rod - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21540230

Now, back to the RR
Indeed it was surprise and I still can't believe we nicked the victory-the better team I fear lost.
Still ...take the points when you get them but we need to do a lot of improving before the next game-and I'll be there in Edinburgh to see us thrash the craven, deformed and lumpen Taffs! If anyone wants a beer I'll be in the Standing Order on George St, Friday and Saturday night. Coherence may be an issue but that's not unknown.....
Anyway...back to the report
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #4064
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Back to day 71

Another cool morning and I left after feeding a little dog that was clearly a resident of the motel grounds. Stray dogs seem to be everywhere in Russia and I've no idea how they survive the fearsome winters-I suppose most don't.
It really upsets me to see them but I can't feed them all or bring them home.

The smog still hadn't lifted and you can see this in the sky just outside Omsk

The old girl was running like a train now and I'd no concerns that it'd let me down

Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #4065
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

The road to Tyumen

The morning got cooler and it started to rain.
When it rains here the temperature drops from 30 degress to just 9 or 10 and it feels much cooler so I stopped and put my fleece on-this thing saved me from freezing more times than I can say.
I mentioned roads under repair in an earlier post and the road between Omsk and Tyumen was in an appalling state for much of the journey.
Long stretches have suffered from the huge semi trailers and had deep ruts in the tarmac, these were raised at the edges with broken crusty peaks of tarmac for kilometers at a time and if the bike was in a rut you couldn't get out of it. If you were in the "crown" between the ruts you were effectively marooned until you came to a less damaged section. Worst of all in the rut bottoms was glass smooth and slick with diesel ....so much of the time I was trapped between two of these trucks-one fore and one aft- and slithering about at 60 mph with the truck right behind me.
As before, I'f I'd gone down I would be dead-no question.
Where the road crosses the river at Abatsko, the road had totally collapsed for about 2 miles and all the trucks were crawling nose-to-tail at 5 mph, trying to pick a route through the folded up, potholed crevassed asphalt. This wasn't my favourite day by a long way. I stopped in a quiet village for lunch just as it started to rain yet again and hoped to hide until the rain stopped.
This time I was lucky with the cafe and the weather, the staff were great and the rain had indeed ceased by the time I came out. I was in no hurry right enough....

I haven't many photos of this part of the journey as I was still using my iPhone, but I had made enough time up now that I'd decided to spend a day in Ekaterinburg and I'd hopefully buy a camera there.

The day at last warmed up, and the road finally improved, and I could relax again, so I just grooved along looking for a Motel that might have Wi-fi and I could contact the family. In the late afternoon-it was again very hot-I pulled in to a large modern truckstop with a WI-FI sign writ large on the reception door. Result.
I snagged a room from the surly receptionist-some you win....and grabbed a shower. The smog had now gone and the air was crystal once more.

I went to the receptionist and asked where the WI-FI was situated and they pointed me to a bar next to the reception, so I sloped in, grabbed a beer and tried to connect...nada...I tried again.......still feck all. I quizzed the bar girl-all the staff seemed to be about 17 including the "security" guard who was such a skinny, spotty youth I thought his belt was holding him together. ...but the bar girl was more interested in the security guard and getting her tits felt- in fairness he was showing a remarkable determination to divest her of her clothing -than sorting out my wi-fi.

Hmmm. I went to Surly the Receptionist to explain that I needed to use a phone or to get wi-fi..pointing at the " WI-FI" sign 4 feet from her face. Again this was where my language shortcoming became apparent.
By now Skinny and the Barmaid had come in to reception and she was sitting on his knee grinding her butt into his groin whilst his hand disappeared into her blouse. Any other time I'd 've been delighted to be an observer ( it'd been a while!) if it wasn't for the greasy hair, poor dental hygiene and spots....but right at this moment a connection of a different sort to that Skinny was planning was my immediate priority.
I pressed Surly once more on the wi-fi and she kicked off at me...shouting and shrieking at my obvious unreasonableness and stupidity.
Most of the time I'm mea culpa to that, but felt if you're advertising a service you've something of a duty to provide it. WTFDIK..

It wasn't going to happen today so I went to the very well stocked shop attached to the motel and relieved them of a disproportionate amount of beer and went to sit outside with my new liquid friends whilst I cooled off a little.
My view.

Staff aside this was really nice motel with a good resto, an excellent shop and if the management get a hold of the staff it should be a top place.

I drank all the beer and ate an enormous meal, and went to bed farting like a vegetarian. Result!!

ROD CURRIE screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 02:34 PM