Gorsovet = City Council - Town Hall?
joatmoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #4082
mbravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE
Lenin is understandably still regarded with great respect by the Russian people.

Not sure what "Gorsovet" means but maybe someone will chime in.
Gorsovet is a portmanteau word for City Council - Gor(od) means city and Soviet... you get the picture

As to great respect for Lenin by contemporary Russians, I suggest you dial that down quite a bit. If you want sizable respect for him, try Finns.
mbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #4083
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
The old and the new

A beautiful old building next to a ritzy new apartment block

It was just round the corner from here I saw the poster of 70s rock chick Suzi Quattro..still wagging her arse in leather jeans and actually looking OK for a lady of a certain age.
Even back then I found her act more like cod-rock than proper rock, but if she's topping up her pension pot with a nice bonus now who's to blame her.

Russia and the former East has opened up a massive new market for 70s pop music in recent years and acts that couldn't now fill a pub in the UK are playing to massive audiences. Good luck to them...just don't buy me a ticket

ROD CURRIE screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 09:10 AM
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #4084
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
...just don't buy me a ticket.

fixed

still &

ps: I'm sure when the boss built this house this thread would have to be a model of what he had mind. Thanks Baldy! And to all contributors.

Treadless screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 08:46 AM
Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #4085
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Lenin is understandably still regarded with great respect by the Russian people...Lenin was looking for some fairer redistribution of wealth....I suggest most of us in that situation would have been similarly minded -he isn't to blame for hijack of the revolution that soon occurred and the terror and purges that lasted 50 years.
Rodd, you are of course entitled to your opinion but I don't see how anyone who has read any Soviet history can make the statements above. Lenin was utterly ruthless and a firm advocate of the use of terror and killing to achieve his ends. The revolution was not "hijacked", it is Lenin who set it firmly on its bloody course.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #4086
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Later

It rained on and off most of the day, and in the evening a went out to a resto I'd seen during the day.
Forgive me for going western but I'd seen what purported to be an English pub during the day and I wanted to see if it was indeed anything like an English pub...or as English as the Irish bars in Mongolia had been Irish...i.e not at all.

It was indeed a somewhat idealised English setting with wood panelling, a long bar top and lots and lots of english beers. Personally I prefer the Russian and Polish varieties but when in........a pub in Ekaterinburg..do as....You get the picture. So I ordered a beer and a steak and sat and read.

After I'd been there a while a guy who'd heard me order came over and asked if I was a Brit? Affirmative...so he asked if he could join me and practice his English? Why not...

He introduced himself as Sergei and we sat a chatted for a while...... and I started to realise he was gay and sussing me out to see if I was like-minded. Oh dear.
I'm not, but neither am I homophobe and it doesn't offend me.
I hoped he'd leave when my meal arrived...however he didn't so I had to continue to chat politely about my wife and family and wish he'd feck off. In the end I finished my meal, thanked him for his company and left the resto. It takes all sorts....

It was English by the way...the prices were ruinous!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #4087
beat
Double Dutchie

Oddometer: 88
What?! you missed the bikerbar?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #4088
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
A heads up---

River Crossings vs wheel bearings!

Polyplex grease---made by Fuchs Lubricants company is a sticky, sticky, white grease that will positively not wash out of wheel bearings---(well maybe you could blast it out with a high pressure washing machine).

Pack your bearings before you leave and never mind carrying spare wheel bearings.

"Polyplex" is a product of Century oil company in the U.S.A.---a subsidiary of Century UK. This product may or may not be available world wide. If you can find it---get it---it's the best wheel bearing grease I've ever seen. Fuchs---a German company now has purchased Century UK and Century U.S.A. Hopefully, they distribute it in your area?

Deseret Rider screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 05:50 PM
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #4089
stevefl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks...

[/QUOTE]
HardwareGRRL.... You mention wanting to be like TB when you grow up..I think he'd agree the way to be like him is to be resolved NOT to grow up. Growing up is for...well...grown-ups!

These trips are maybe a way of stripping life back and shucking off the trappings of adulthood (these things we so wanted)-Homes with attendant mortgages, children, work pressures -all this work stuff that's SO IMPORTANT at the time and you're hurling yourself at the wall to make it happen-but it'll be forgotten in a year, paying the bills........ and allowing yourself to take all your pleasure-and motivation- again from just riding a bike in the wilderness, camping, smelling the flowers, having good people around you.

All you have to worry about is have you gas in the tank, food for tonight and a beer?-you're sorted.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding of something I had forgotten. This RR has been truly inspirational.
stevefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #4090
Metalcarver
Geezer Berserker

Oddometer: 327
I do believe that the Hon. Mr. Currie faced much more danger than his erstwhile companions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E

The Meandering Geezer in Idaho Escape from Idaho metalcarver.com Panoramio
Metalcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #4091
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
Rodd, you are of course entitled to your opinion but I don't see how anyone who has read any Soviet history can make the statements above. Lenin was utterly ruthless and a firm advocate of the use of terror and killing to achieve his ends. The revolution was not "hijacked", it is Lenin who set it firmly on its bloody course.
I would like to add that Lenin's theoretical insights into the working on capitalism and imperialism are still relevant today. He understood the political and economic contradictions of monopoly capitalism. Additionally, his writing after 1904 brought the national and imperialist question together. Lenin, as one of the first radical thinkers, thought of the Occident as an active historical agent and proposed a complex relationship between oppressor and oppressed nations...

That being said, I'm not sure if Lenin set the revolution on its bloody course... I think Trotsky and later Stalin has to shoulder some responsibility... But maybe the revolution had a bloody course even before 1905...

Anyhow, I think anyone interested should read Victor Serge's Memoirs of a Revolutionary and Trotsky's Revolution Betrayed (both of these have excerpts on marxist.org). Than read some Lenin (yes, they are polemic, political and ideological) and form your own opinion.
bymbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #4092
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Biker bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat View Post
What?! you missed the bikerbar?
Hi Beat.

You're right, I didn't see it, surprising as I walked round the town all day. Is it near the centre at all?

Damn'!...I'll just need to go back.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #4093
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
River Crossings vs wheel bearings!

Polyplex grease---made by Fuchs Lubricants company is a sticky, sticky, white grease that will positively not wash out of wheel bearings----get it---it's the best wheel bearing grease I've ever seen. Hopefully, they distribute it in your area?
Thanks for the tip DR
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #4094
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcarver View Post
I do believe that the Hon. Mr. Currie faced much more danger than his erstwhile companions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E
Thanks metalcarver.
I think the 4WD careering along through the traffic about 10 seconds in to the film is Hassan, our Chechen friend from Barnaul in his normal driving mode. I'm sure any of the SibEx team who rode with him will agree. I'm normally quite a good passenger but I sat the whole time braced and with the seatbelt tight.

Having said that in 5000 miles the Russian driving standard was pretty good- a little flamboyant and spirited at times but no worse than anywhere in the west and immeasurably better than Italy...or India. No offence intended to Chanderjeet or any other Indians reading ...but surviving every days driving there is a victory "against the head" I salute you.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #4095
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 74

After my near-miss-gay-experience I woke up unmolested to...pissing rain again. FFS...does it ever stop here?

I went up to the breakfast room in this grand, but sad old hotel where the choices were truly gut-churning.....
Shredded liver 4 hours old in a smelly gravy with soggy pasta...of bits of sweet cake. I couldn't face the liver so settled for a small piece of cake and some chai.
I truly hope someone invests in the place as the location's ideal, the building is imposing and historically significant, the staff great and it just needs a (considerable) financial break.

I went down and after poking my head into the yard to ensure Gnasher the mad dog was safely imprisoned (he was) I wheeled the bike out, threw the gear over it and rode off enigmatically into the morning drizzle like Shane, or The Man With No Name/sense of direction/money/brain-delete as appropriate.

I got out of town and carried on for about an hour...right in front was a clear blue sky and I was maybe half an hour away.
I climbed up into the Urals-this part was more rolling hills than mountains - the road dried out, the temperature started to climb and landscape was somewhat Alpine. This'll do!

This from a little later in the morning

Just so good to feel the sun on me again, riding on roads pretty empty of traffic

This is one of my favourites-don't know why. Between Perm and Ijevsk. No idea what the temperature related sign below the distance markers is warning of..melting tarmac over 32deg? -maybe someone can inform-

Huge Prizes for getting the town names. Not.
Tom/Tony/Walter can't join.