Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #4291
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Photobucket
I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet so perhaps it's already been noted but many of Rod's photobucket pics are MIA. It sure would be nice to see them with the story. Keep up the superb RR fellows.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #4292
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 689
Another Front Page Candidate...

Great Stuff you are posting.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #4293
Sroz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Magnificent shots

Thanks for putting this up! Really enjoying the scenery! Well done for doing it!
You really can only get a real feel for a situation by giving it a go, and in this case the rewards are fantastic!
Sroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #4294
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,309
Wow! This RR just ramped up a whole nother level! with full respect to Walter's trips and reports in mind.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #4295
zulu-5
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
He became too popular both within the army and with the general population ... That support and popularity was a threat to Stalin's singular authority, so he was sidelined by Stalin into small, unseen roles after the war.

When Stalin died, it was Zhukov who arrested the dodgy Beria ... Former head of the NKVD (the much more powerful forerunner to the KGB). Zhukov's troops ensured the NKVD didn't come to the aid of their former head. It needed someone with the gravitas and respect of Zhukov to arrest a man as powerful as Beria.

Zhukov was rehabilitated by Khruschev after Stalin died.
doesn't get any smaller for a marshall. He was assigned a commander of the local garrison at a provintial ukranian city of Odessa (командующий Одесского округа)

father giveth, father taketh
zulu-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #4296
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Good to see you back Gier
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #4297
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
good to see you back gier
+1

But I think you mean "Geir"

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 12:10 PM
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #4298
SACK
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Epic! Looking forward to the next installment.
SACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #4299
RedWolf
Corporate Zombie

Oddometer: 513
Just when I thought it would be possible to get some work done again...

Excellent writing guys.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #4300
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,136
Absolutely stunning. And you're writing in our language.

Amazing stuff, True adventurer has never been more clearly defined than, "...I had to see it with my own blue eyes..."
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #4301
Sansibar
RoadRunner

Oddometer: 11
Yeah!

This RR is inspiring, helpful, fun to read, a masterpiece of open minded ADV riders - thank you!
Sansibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #4302
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
no need to look too hard for this RR. Just click on 'views' on rr page and it will be either the top of the list or very close thereto!!!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #4303
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Can't find it?

Subscribe is the easy way.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #4304
Pate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
......... We hope that will add more supporters to Beniowski – a citizen of the free world.

Beniowski in many respects was the adventurer and the swindler.
He looked for money and the power. The traveler it became forcedly.
He saved himself life.

In 17 years he tried to take control of lands of the mother which after her death departed
to her daughters from first marriage. Accused by the son-in-law in arbitrariness,
Benyovsky got under court. Military suspected it of desertion, church — of heresy.
In these conditions Benyovsky Gabsburgov secretly left possession and joined in 1768 the
Polish insurgents of Lordly confederation.

In Thailand, by mistake, some members of team were killed.
In some days it came to the island and burned the village.

Then the Portuguese port Macau in China came and was named as the Russian general.
He put on a uniform of the killed on Kamchatka the general together with another's award.
He managed to deceive the Portuguese governor, He was named as the baron.
He was able to do it:
"It is Sacred Anna's granted to me by empress Ekaterina the Russian award.
I rendered to the Russian Academy of Sciences one small service. Reached Kamchatka.
Was engaged there in commerce and fur trade.
I bought a vessel from one merchant company and I made the Russian team.
I visited Japan... By the way, I am marked out by king Stanislav several high awards,
but I left them in Poland".

In France he offered the services as the conqueror of the lands of Thailand.
It was sent to Madagascar,
there he named himself the descendant of the leader of east Madagascar.
It again said lies.
Then he was at war with France representing interests of the USA.
Really, this person had no homeland.
Russian Off-Road Challenge 2010 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579487
BMW F800GS KTM 300EXC KTM 690 R +RRP

Pate screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 12:36 AM
Pate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #4305
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Eek Wild animals

You might expect that when you travel through the wilderness of the Sakha Republic you would meet lots of wild animals. The area is vast. Yakutia is the largest subnational governing body, by area, in the world. Just slightly smaller than India. If Yakutia was a country it would be the eight largest in the world The area is huge. So is the wilderness. When you leave Tomtor you have almost 400 kilometers of nothing before you arrive at Susuman. Nothing except some of the most beautiful areas that I have ever ridden on a bike

Before we left the mother land we were extensively briefed on what to do if we encountered bears. The morale of the story was to turn around and go back the same way you came. Never to pass the bear. This sounded good to us, and we told our anxious briefer that we would keep this in mind if those matters were to arise

What struck me on the trip, when we were in the middle of nothing, was the absence of wild life. We saw basically no wild animals. Only a few eagles maybe. No mammals of any kind. This surprised me a bit since we had heard lots about, and seen on TV, the extensive wild life of the region. I guess when you, as an animal, have the choice you tend to stay away from the roads and the noise from them. You have such a large area to roam and staying close to humans just don't make sense. Even though the roads are very sparsely frequented by mankind.

The first serious encounter we had was not long before the border between Yakutia and Magadan. It was standing tall in the middle of the road. Showing us who was the boss

Our second encounter was of a more interesting kind. Erik and I were driving up front. Erik in front of me. We had just crossed a small stream and heading up a small hill. Just as we came over the top I saw it. Erik didn't at first. He saw a big rock in the middle of the road. Then the rock moved and started to run out to the right and up a small hill. We stopped about three to four meters from a bear It was a small cub.

I will now describe the scenery around us. Straight ahead was the road, where the bear had just seconds ago been enjoying his quiet little moment. To the right, where the bear went, there were some marsh. Maybe 20 meters wide before it was a fairly steep hill with sparse vegetation. To the left of the road there were dense small trees. About three meters high. I think it was birch. You could see for about 30 centimeters to the left. It was a bad place to be at the moment

The bear ran up the hill for a few meters and then stopped. I noticed it was looking over us and slightly behind us. I suspected it was looking for mama bear. All 400 kilos of her. Erik went into default mode and did as he was told. He started to turn the bike around on the narrow road. By the direction the bear looked I had no intention of going back. I screamed to Erik to continue straight ahead. He had now turned the bike about 90 degrees, with his nose facing the dense vegetation. I passed behind him and went straight for about 50 meters, then I stopped. I had to get this bear on video

Since Erik had done the turn in quite some hurry he had managed to rip of an electrical wire of some kind on his handlebars. As he got the bike straight again it wouldn't start

He got his hands into warp speed, and after what seemed like an eternity, got the wire connected, the bike fired up and then he screamed passed me. I was now filming the cub. As I did this thoughts went through my mind on what to do if mama bear decided to show up for the party. I figured I had to lay down with the bike on top of me and hope that she would go for the bike and not me. When I look at the video afterwards the filming was pretty steady for about 12 seconds. Then I started to wiggle. I was now seriously looking for mama. I filmed for 18 seconds before I decided it was time to get the hell out of Dodge. I packed up the camera and drove for a few hundred meters where I met up with Erik. We were both pretty stoked and high on adrenaline from just having almost ran over a bear The picture below is a frame from the video. Hence the quality