Oddometer: 1,347
Chasing Old Route 66

HD Available too.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #152
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Nice old route 66 vid! You saw more of the actual old road than most tourists and no traffic to boot. Creative ending.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #153
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Midwest, before I forget you

A few notes on the Midwest before she gets too far from memory. First of all, I'm glad we got to know each other a little better this time, you were right, it takes time and patience. I really enjoyed some of my time in Texas and Oklahoma and I really enjoyed exploring your less-traveled roads. I do however, I have a few notes, tidbits and maybe a complaint or two.

Let's start with your biggest issue. You can't help that the scenery doesn't really change for what seems like months on end, or that the only curves in the road are your off ramps (if you were wondering why I would sometimes exit the freeway and get back on, it was only to feel alive for a minute). But coffee is a beverage made from roasting a bean, grinding it a specific amount and pouring water over it just above 200° F. Just because you had something brown in your cabinet and ran water through it does not make it coffee. I can't afford to be a Starbucks snob, but there's room in between. And this, this is the biggest issue, it's a crime and it's everywhere in the Midwest.

See those big black and white smelly pets you keep in the field? Yeah. Guess what? They make cream. Somehow.
I feel a bit better, thanks.

While in Texas I started an very detailed and scientific experiment counting your vehicles. Actually it was to keep from falling into a coma, but here are the results:

3 out of 4 vehicles are pickup trucks.
Of the remaining 25% about 50% were SUV's
Prius' are apparently not sold in Texas. (Hence no one was exercising their inalienable right to do 50mph in a 75mph)

Oh, and one other thing Texas; you do know that car makers sell vehicles in colors other than white and grey, right? I know it's hot there, but live a little, huh?

Midwest - I know it's not only you, but we have a weight problem. There are lots of things we can do, but let's start here.

This is not the rest of the worlds idea of a nutritious breakfast.

And lastly, although your accent can be sexy on a woman (not always), there are limits. When you spell phonetically it hurts my brain.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #154
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

By the way, I'm in currently in Cookeville, TN and I have no idea where I'm going next.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #155
RTLLTR
RotoTiller!

Oddometer: 732
Happy Sunday Howly! Love the coffee comments! You know how I feel in the topic.

Mick and I had another great 50 miles on the dirty girls today. All before noon! We have found a nice pace riding together. Come home so we can ride before the white stuff flies.

Peace chicken grease!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #156
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

En route, but don't rush me, my mid-life crisis isn't scheduled to end just yet.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #157
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

6481 miles on the clock, in just a few days I'll be home. Mixed emotions since I'm not quite ready to be home just yet. I went out to clear my head and find a purpose but I'm not sure if I'm any farther along.

Anyway, coming up on 4 weeks on the road now and I'm only just settling into the pattern. I remember from our two month trip that it took about a month to settle in. Sort of a shame that I'm now headed home after taking so long to acclimate.

I've noticed a few things that have changed in me while I've been out here and a few other interesting bits too that I wanted to share.

•The motorcycle has become an extension of my being and I only think where I want to go and the bike follows. I thought I already had this connection, but it seems to have grown deeper.
• I now know exactly what direction I'm headed in without thinking about it. Similar to the motorcycle extension, I no longer have to think about direction. I suspect primitive people knew this feeling on a much deeper level. Guess that means I'm regressing again. Darn. There's enough hair on my knuckles already. Thanks Dad.
• Although time is relatively irrelevant(?) I can tell the time of day within about 30 minutes now, I suspect it's from being outside everyday for almost a month.
• Strangely, I've become a little more introverted on this trip. Normally I'm fairly extroverted on a bike but perhaps the fact that I can go multiple days without speaking to anyone has made me less apt to reach out. Very strange considering that I find I really crave company lately.
• I'm more efficient when I camp than when I hotel. When camping I get all of my chores done at night before bed and in the morning I'm on the road before the sun is fully up. In hotels I catch up on sorting footage and usually creating videos or other bandwidth intensive chores. Also, I get up later and enjoy the feast that comes with only the cheapest hotels. Anyone need any sugar packets?
• I need far less food in a day than I think I do, but ironically it's very difficult to shop for just one especially when space is very limited. Imagine getting all of your groceries in a space not much bigger than a gallon of milk.
• Fire makes nice company at night, but it's still a very distant second.
• I've gotten very comfortable sharing the camp with animals. I've been camping for as long as I can remember, but I can't say I've ever had this level of comfort. From coyotes to wild pigs to bears (the only one I haven't seen) to opossums and raccoons, none have made me lose any sleep. Maybe it's just the NyQuil, but the scurrying of unknown critters and even the beaconing of coyote packs haven't bothered me. I'm really enjoying this level of comfort.
• One really doesn't need much to be happy in life, in fact having less seems to make it easier. I have everything I need to live indefinitely on the bike. I even have redundant luxury devices like two stoves and two pair of underwear. Just kidding, I only have one pair. I do have a range of clothing that can keep me comfortable in most climates. Not fashionable, mind you, but functional. Point being that we really get caught up in consumption and it isn't until we live without it for a while that we start to let go.
•Television, no thanks. I was never a TV guy, but you'd think that after days without talking to anyone that when I finally checked into a hotel it would be the first thing I'd do. But it seems even more foreign and insulting than ever. I guess Jerry Springer is now called Fox News, when did that happen?
• I learned something about myself during a great conversation in Tucson and it was comforting and troubling all at once to know that I may never be happy just being home, at least for too long. I've spent most of my life trying to build a solid nest, but constantly drawn away seeking adventure. I guess I thought this might settle down as I got older, but the opposite seems to be happening. Bob Seger's "Traveling Man" almost brought tears in my helmet the other day. The similarities were startling.
• I have a new understanding about religion and children, but how either fit in my life is still a mystery. It's a funny dichotomy between needing things to ground us and the resentment that can come from them. I wonder if anyone or everyone else struggles with this. I feel quite alone with the battle to balance the two.
•Lastly, traveling is easier than most people think, especially in this country. For better or worse, you're never very far from whatever you need. I've ridden through 49 states so far and tried hard to find some of the most remote places out there, but the world isn't as big or unfriendly as we're led to believe. Go see it while you still can, bring some cash, a smile and an open mind.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #158
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Your thoughts are some of the most honest and clear thinking that I have seen or heard in a long time --Don't change-

You'll be a better man for it and so will others that look up to you

Ride Safe
Knightwork

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #159
RTLLTR
RotoTiller!

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
En route, but don't rush me, my mid-life crisis isn't scheduled to end just yet.
Having just wrapped up my 4th Mid Life Crisis this week I get it.

Don't hurry home just yet, but leave enough time for the best dirt riding season or you will get angry you missed it!

And yes, we all struggle with the points you made in your last post. I work my ass off to have nice things, and then feel guilty for having them when I see folks struggling for the basics in life. That tells me I'm still alive, and still care about people. That's a good thing!

Keep it coming Johnny, and stay safe!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #160
BillNighSciGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Whether or not weather

So did you get stuck in the big weather front? Where are you now? Catch ya soon.
BillNighSciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #161
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNighSciGuy View Post
So did you get stuck in the big weather front? Where are you now? Catch ya soon.
Is a matter of fact, yes. And it sucked.

So, I made a discovery a few mornings ago and I decided something needed to change. It was right after this:

I had gone over to the dark side. I actually bought powdered cream. That's when I realized I needed to go home. So I saddled up and decided 1k miles in two days wouldn't be so bad. Then the temperature dropped to about 41 F and the rain started. For the next day and a half I froze my little ball bearings off. Don't know why 41 in the wet was so much colder than riding in the dry teens, but it was.

Made it home before Mrs. Mad came home from work and waited by the wood stove with a fire going. She came in, put her things down, heard music and came into the living room and started to cry. She hadn't expected me until very late that night. Cause I lied.

Anyway, more to come. Need to fill you in on a few more details and see if there's one more movie in the library.

Thanks for following along, I really enjoyed, and needed the company out there.

John

Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #162
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,266

So...you're saying I may end up a bit cold riding my bike to/from MO for Thanksgiving with my mom?

Let's ride dirty when I get back
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #163
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post

So...you're saying I may end up a bit cold riding my bike to/from MO for Thanksgiving with my mom?

Let's ride dirty when I get back
Whoa, we need a ride report for this one. Good luck brother, hope the weather is with you.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #164
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
Thanks for following along, I really enjoyed, and needed the company out there.
Welcome back! Next time, when you find cream isn't quite portable enough, I'd suggest unsalted butter. It's not a *good* idea exactly, but at least it's not powdered, and you can feel like a Nepalese warrior or something. Sorry - Nepalese ROAD warrior.
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #165
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Trip Numbers

Well I owe you another video, but time seems to be conspiring against me lately. In the meantime, I finished compiling some numbers from the trip.

Days traveling 29 Days
Days Riding 27 Days
Total Miles 7553 miles
Secondary Road Miles ~6000 miles
Total States 16
Max Speed 92.6 mph
Average Moving Speed 54.3 mph
Average Overall Speed 37.1 mph
Average fuel econ 39.31 mpg
Average Miles/Day 260.45 miles
Est Fuel consumed 192.14 gallons
Est Cost of Fuel (based on $3.50) $672.49