Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #61
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
just one more thing for the night

To whoever invented this, I hate you.

You've added insult to injury. Really, could you make the packages a little easier to open? They aren't childproof, they're adult armed with anger and sharp utensils proof.

I hate this cold.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #62
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Fantastic report!
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #63
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Fantastic report!
Thanks!

By the way, currently in Hurricane, UT. I decided to get off the bike for a day and stay in the same place for more than a night. I'm hoping that it will help this stubborn cold which seems to have gotten worse lately.

Headed for Death Valley next. I think.

Someone fix this thermostat, the Southwest is supposed to be warm, right?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #64
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Apropos name for the town you are currently in given that we will be dealing with our own Hurricane in a few days. Hope your destination is not literal. Get well soon! Nothing worse than traveling when not feeling well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #65
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quick update from Hurricane, UT

Ironic, isn't it? Staying in Hurricane, Utah when hurricane Sandy is about to hit home? Mrs. Mad is a trooper for holding the fort while I'm away.

I decided to stay an extra day to help shoo this cold away, a cough seems to be all that's left today, so it seems worth it. I've also spent part of the day sorting pictures and videos. I should have a video available soon I hope.

In the meantime, I stumbled upon a picture I've been saving for a while. Something about this really screams to me.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #66
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Going back in time a day or two ago to Durango, CO. Durango is a very strange little outpost, a stepping stone to adventure in all directions. Perhaps that's why the people there are so, ah, different. There are all sorts, but overall it didn't feel like a real friendly town. It was 19 degrees that morning when I woke up and it still wasn't above freezing by the time I reached town. I needed coffee, one large and one large enough to soak my frozen fingers in. After waiting at what seemed like the longest light ever, I discovered the reason. The coffee would have to wait a few more minutes for this old gent to pass.
Photobucket

After at least 2 hours of soaking up the local culture, decided to restock some supplies before heading out into the desert. I found a grocery store and realized I had been here before, and I remember that the parking lot was filled with strange and unusual expedition vehicles then too. I stopped to chat with this guy for a while, he was just leaving the store and spotted me. It's funny how full time (professional?) travelers seem to spot each other from a distance. We almost always make a point to make time to exchange information about services, weather and routes ahead. It's like stepping back in time while the rest of the modern world whizzes around us. I really enjoy this part of travel.
Photobucket

Making my way west to southeast Utah is a familiar route, easy to see why considering how few roads there are per mile than back home.

Utah, possibly my favorite state.
Photobucket

Saw this guy just perambulating along. He wasn't quite sure what to make of me.
Photobucket

Eventually I make it here, a familiar landmark. This one's for Willy.
Photobucket

Eventually I make it to my destination, Valley of the Gods. I arrive around 5pm, one of the earliest days for me to stop so far. It feels good not to be in a race with daylight for a change.
Photobucket

A nice dinner of pasta, broccoli and chicken was more than I wanted, but it usually is. It's hard to cook for one.
Photobucket

I've had a problem with my Camelback and lost 1.5L of water, so no washing dishes tonight. But I did make time to experiment with the camera.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 10-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #67
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

The wind was so intense that a fine layer of red dust covered everything in the tent. Between the constant tent ruffling in the wind and my coughing, I didn't sleep very well again. Not sure I've had a great night of sleep since I left home for some reason.
I deliberately rose well before the sun to try some more experiment with some time lapse stills and just enjoy being in such an amazing place. This place is special for me, a place to be closer to your maker, it's like a church.

I needed to come here. Most points on the map were optional, this one was not.

I set up the camera and went for a little hike. Amazing what's hiding in every nook and cranny.

Not far from my camp was this rig, which passed by fairly early. German markings.

I broke camp, shook out the red dust and headed west.

Saw something I've never seen before, a wild dog eating a dead horse randomly on the side of the road, I had to turn around and get a picture. The dog was a bit camera shy though.

And I'm guessing most of you don't want to see the horse.

For those interested, we're up over 3000 miles so far.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #68
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

And last for the night, a video from the area. Still haven't done the Engineer's Pass vid yet. .

Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #69
RTLLTR
RotoTiller!

Oddometer: 746
Sunday Morning RR Reading

Morning Sunshine,

Hope you are feeling better. just caught up on your last few days. Nice work! Keep the video action coming! Looks like Sandy is headed a bit south of us, so should be less than we dealt with for Irene. I was invited out for some surf this morning, but too much prep to do for the storm still Might surf the backside if the swell holds.

Enjoy Church this morning!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #70
BillNighSciGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Your church

Nice twin peaks picture, and great VOG stuff! Time in the wild is tough but everything little thing you do there has purpose. Life deliberate.

BillNighSciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #71
RTLLTR
RotoTiller!

Oddometer: 746

Hello? Yoohoo?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #72
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Been following along from the start. If there is anything you need out on the road give us a call. Tell them I said to take extra special care of you. 855-255-5550.

Kevin
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #73
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLLTR View Post

Hello? Yoohoo?
Hey man, you wanted adventure, well I found it but there's no wifi there. Simmer down you.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #74
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Been following along from the start. If there is anything you need out on the road give us a call. Tell them I said to take extra special care of you. 855-255-5550.

Kevin
Hey Kevin,
Thanks for the support! After the last three days in the back of Death Valley, I think I may need to find some Loctite, do they sell it in gallons?

Funny side note about the trip, I had been looking for a window to do a trip like this all summer but there was always something on the calendar that kept me from going. Then one day I got a postcard in the mail saying I was no longer needed for jury duty. I figured that was the sign I was looking for and immediately started packing. I had everything I needed ready to go, except tires. The trip would have to wait another week to start since I always buy them online. On a whim I decided to call Twisted Throttle since you're only about 1.5 hours away and if you happened to have what I wanted I could start the next day, and that's exactly what happened. Funny thing is it was about $5 cheaper for both tires too. Who'd a thunk it?

So it turns out that you guys played a bigger part in my trip then you probably knew when you handed me a couple of tires.

I've only been in there twice so far, but seems like a good bunch of guys at Twisted.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #75
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Death Valley

Sorry for the radio silence but I've been in the back of beyond for the last three days exploring some of the more remote parts of Death Valley. After spending a few days being completely humbled by the geological formations of Utah, my cold seemed to be getting worse again. The cold nights and lack of decent meals probably aren't helping me at all, so I decided to check into a hotel for two nights in Hurricane. My meals have become painfully routine though. When I camp, it always oatmeal, when I stay in a hotel, it's always a Super8 and this is my usual breakfast scene:
Photobucket
After two days rest I decided to make a run for Death Valley and missed much of the southern parts of Utah that I love like Zion and Bryce, but the constant cold here combined with a cough that prevents me from getting a a complete sentence out pushed me to warmer places. There are so many places around here that have "devil, hell" or similar that I figured it must be warmer.
I arrived at night to a favorite campsite from my 2008 trip.
Photobucket
I felt bad for the other campers since I'm sure my hacking kept them up too.

Funny thing about Death Valley, it seems to have most of what you need if you look hard enough.
Photobucket
Can't say I've ever seen a pee chart in a men's room before, but I can't think of a place it would be more at home.
Photobucket