User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
R100LT OP
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 606
Life Changing in a Moment

So after having a 18 month sabbatical as a stay at home 24/7 " soul " parent to my two beautiful girls ... I get a call out of the blue to return to work.

So I be going from having ALOT of time and NO money ( had to scrimp to save just to get a new back tyre that was totally bald last month ) to going to having a very decent income ... and maybe not as much time ( I will be going back to the mining on a Fly in Fly out 2 weeks on 1 off roster ).

In regards to the my bikes I will be riding to Airport which is a 300 km trip at 3am ... and crusing there which I will not have a traffic sign until I get to town and only one spot that I have to slow down under 110 km/h ... and returning two weeks later to return home.

I have window of opportunity open to a VERY experience bike tuner ( he is a Duke guy .. but in his younger days was a race rider and even won at Daytona ... then many years had his own race team here in Oz ) .

Anyhoo ... I am wanting to " warm up " my 93 R100LT mono now ( hope to really hot the RS next year ) ... and seeing that I will be getting decent coin ... and not having the time to put it altogether ... I am ready to fill the shopping cart to get it done.

I already have a 336 ready to go in . Not totally sold on dual plugging yet but will do if needed . Looking at higher CR and better carbs than the 32 Bing. Will be upgrading the brake lines to SS. Already done the shockie ( great invetsment )

Just looking for suggestion and experience on a " simple " solution to get " everything " done at once and a one stop shop supplier for all of this , so I can ride off work with confidence that its all going to work for a fun ride .

Oh PS ... wanting to get this done before I move in with the GF .. because we all know ... after that happens it will be harder to sneak this thing in.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 870
I'd say with a 336; go with the high CR pistons, balance everything, the dual plugged heads, stay with the 32s but jet them properly and you'll be very happy. Add a Staintune setup and that's an addition smile factor
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
R100LT OP
Chasing 11

Already got the Staintunes ( is there any other mufflers ??? )

Any suggestion at which higher CR kit to go with ????

Oh PS will get a higher 5th gear early next year
Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,364
Go for the dual plugs. When I set mine up on my otherwise stock R100S, I wouldn't say that the bike was then faster, but it just ran better all around. I hadn't been having pinging problems prior to the dual plug upgrade either. Just do it.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
R100LT OP
Chasing 11

So maybe I should narrow down my up grade choices to these three .

http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts....20valve%20Twin

The Omega / Moorepower piston upgrade . 340 pounds ... nice and easy ...

Their next upgrade to the complete upgrade for 575 pounds and replace everything ( not sure of the brand of that one )

or

http://shop.siebenrock.com/index1.ph...001&sprache=en

The Seibenrock kit at 759 Euro's

Really like some help in deciding this on ... I hope to be ordering one of them in the next couple of days so they are here in Oz when I get back from my first stint at work to start . I am not out to break land speed records ... just a more enjoyable ride cruising at 140 kmph and occasionally to do the "ton" on a few of the straight back roads ( still have to keep an eye out for the Roo's )
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
ontic

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by R100LT View Post
So maybe I should narrow down my up grade choices to these three .

http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts....20valve%20Twin

The Omega / Moorepower piston upgrade . 340 pounds ... nice and easy ...

Their next upgrade to the complete upgrade for 575 pounds and replace everything ( not sure of the brand of that one )

or

http://shop.siebenrock.com/index1.ph...001&sprache=en

The Seibenrock kit at 759 Euro's

Really like some help in deciding this on ... I hope to be ordering one of them in the next couple of days so they are here in Oz when I get back from my first stint at work to start . I am not out to break land speed records ... just a more enjoyable ride cruising at 140 kmph and occasionally to do the "ton" on a few of the straight back roads ( still have to keep an eye out for the Roo's )
I really can't comment on comparisons or what you should do,
however,

The 'complete upgrade' on the motobins site IS the Siebenrock kit. They don't advertise it as such through the front door but you can find it described as such through a search like this
http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...c+UPGRADE+KITS

anyway, the Euro price from Siebenrock is including 19%VAT, when removed brings it down to 614 Euro (about 500 pounds)- which of course is cheaper than buying it from motobins.
Saying all that, I got my siebenrock power-up kit from motobins, but I was ordering other stuff from them at the same time and the Euro hadn't fallen so low back then.

What is the condition of your current barrels/pistons?
What will you do with your old pistons if you only swap pistons? Kinda hard to sell on their own.
What will you do with your old barrells AND pistons if you swap the whole kit? Easier to sell as a pair or keep as spares.

I don't know much about the piston only upgrade.
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
R100LT OP
Chasing 11

Thanks for that Ontic

Yer I forgot about the VAt

So Siebenbrock will work out Aus$ 20 ( including the gasket kit ) cheaper . Like you I need a couple of smaller items .. but trying to keep it under Aus$1000 to avoid GST.

So how are you liking the kit and did you dual plug them afterwards ???

My pistons and barrels are in good nick ... only done 65k km's on them ... but will probably keep them as spares ... or if I every find a nice decent & cheap R80 for a café racer project next.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
ontic

I haven't installed mine yet- I've just moved house and have way too much stuff going on for me at the moment unfortunately. They certainly look nice though!
Reviews seem unanimously positive from what I can find.

I got the powerkit for the 800cc bikes that is designed to plug-and-play work with the 80 heads. If I'd researched things a little better back before I bought them I probably would have just gotten the 1000cc replacement kit and swapped on some 1000cc heads.
I am going to twin plug my 80 heads as I plan to use the bike they are going on (G/S) with any old fuel in Australia and beyond- but it looks like I'll be doing some other tweaks as well to machine the step out of the piston and head to make a nice squish band (and shave the barrels to bring back CR) and remove any sharp edges- blah blah blah... nothing you'd have to worry about.

I certainly don't know near enough to dish out advice one what is better or worse than what.

Good luck
Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
If you are riding at high speed at night in WA, i would think that decent lights might be an idea..........do deer whistles work on Roos?
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by R100LT View Post
Already got the Staintunes ( is there any other mufflers ??? )

Any suggestion at which higher CR kit to go with ????

Oh PS will get a higher 5th gear early next year
tell us about staintunes ....
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
R100LT OP
Chasing 11

Chaz ... got the lighting all sorted out on the bike

Believe it or not the sound system chases the Roos and Emus off to some extent . Lucky the trip up to Perth ... only the first 100 odd km's is the worst . After that its just a plain flat boring highway. Lots of flat straight roads where you can see the police before they see you . Actually pretty lucky here ... most police leave us alone ... they are more concerned with HD's . The last couple of times I was pulled over they were just interested in the bike and to tell me that they used to ride a Beemer themselves ( plus to ask me to keep the speed down a bit )

In regards to Staintune ... A nice Aussie made system ( well not sure if they are made here anymore ... I would love to have the copyright for " Made in China " business ).

Can someone please make it easier for me to click my shopping carts ... PLEASE
Old 10-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #12
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
I am going to twin plug my 80 heads as I plan to use the bike they are going on (G/S) with any old fuel in Australia and beyond

Who you getting to do that job for you?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #13
ontic

Not decided yet,
one option was to get Mr Rooney to do it when I send him my frame and other bits- IIRC Paul doesn't do it himself but he has someone good who does it for him. Another option is someone local who has the tooling and might want to have a go. Just going to see how things pan out when the time comes.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,977
The bloke who is building my bike (Ray Peake 07 5543 5962), does the work himself and uses two spark plugs the same size, unlike Rooney`s method. Ray`s work is second to none; It`d be an idea to have a chat with him before you make a decision.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #15
ontic

Cheers GSD4ME, yeah that sounds good.
So long as it is done right I'd much prefer the same spark plug method rather than one short and one long.
I've heard a lot of good things about Ray for a while now. Any idea what Ray charges for that? (or should I just call him?). I'm hoping I don't need too much other head work.
I might be heading overseas for the summer though so my plans are well and truly on the back burner for the moment.

And sorry for the thread drift R100LT. You're just going to have to boost your CR so that you need to twin plug... so that this isn't thread drift anymore...

The siebenrock kit seem the easiest option to me and is probably where I'd put my money- but then I fully admit I am not aware of the alternatives.
Normally these kind of threads get a bit more attention- maybe the thread title hasn't drawn in the hotrodders?

ontic screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 05:23 PM