ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #61
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,363
Bahhhhh, just buy a Contour GPS and be done with it. Uploading any sort of high res video is excruciating, and nobody cares anyhow. On-screen GPS data on the other hand is cooooooool.

http://contour.com/products/contour-plus-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k49qhD3CwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHr59VAGYns

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 07:55 PM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #62
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Bahhhhh, just buy a Contour GPS and be done with it. Uploading any sort of high res video is excruciating, and nobody cares anyhow. On-screen GPS data on the other hand is cooooooool.

Is 480 all it will go? if so that ain't cuttin it be today's standards.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #63
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Is 480 all it will go? if so that ain't cuttin it be today's standards.
No, it'll do 1080. My point is that Youtube won't show anything higher than 720, and it takes forever to upload. Even 720 is clear as day on most televisions, so why bother with 1080 or 4K?

The Contour camera allows you to pick between different resolutions and frame rates depending on what you're doing, how much memory your SD card has and what length video you plan to take. I planned to do 2+ hours of video the day I did that motorcycle video, so I set it for lowest resolution and slowest frame rate. It was also the first time I used the camera. You can see in the car video where the frame rate and resolution are better, but Youtube still limits it to 720. Vimeo allows for 1080, but who cares on a tiny little computer screen? And how many televisions can display higher than 1080?

_CJ screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 06:35 AM
Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #64
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,954
Quote:
No, it'll do 1080. My point is that Youtube won't show anything higher than 720, and it takes forever to upload. Even 720 is clear as day on most televisions, so why bother with 1080 or 4K?

The Contour camera allows you to pick between different resolutions and frame rates depending on what you're doing, how much memory your SD card has and what length video you plan to take. I planned to do 2+ hours of video the day I did that motorcycle video, so I set it for lowest resolution and slowest frame rate. It was also the first time I used the camera. You can see in the car video where the frame rate and resolution are better, but Youtube still limits it to 720. Vimeo allows for 1080, but who cares on a tiny little computer screen? And how many televisions can display higher than 1080?
+1 good chart that illustrates why 4k doesn't mean that much squat (more pixels doesn't improve image resolution, especially if the pixel size is the same - an earlier comment I made). The biggest improvement is the lensing.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #65
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,952
Quote:

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #66
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Huh? No, sorry, I don't sell cameras or software and I'm not affiliated with anyone who does if that's what you're suggesting.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #67
Spanky15
Dirt Slider

Oddometer: 522
I grew up...

...in Espanola....three TV channels and the color programming did not start until 4 pm. I am elated with my GoPro deuce! Hell... bad video just adds to the mystery!
'82 XR-500R
'74 Ossa
...all Flattrackers
Spanky15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #68
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,430
Not sure what your referring to but I have plenty of 1080p vids posted on youtube and that resolution's clarity is easily detectable. If you don't think so look at one in both resolutions, 720 and 1080p, I'd be surprised if you couldn't easily see the difference, even on a puny computer screen. Obviously the GPS is importent to you where as resolution isn't as important from reading your post. I'm the opposite, I don't care about showing a track, my vids aren't about that. UL times are right about 50min to upload 12mins of 1080P HD, I'm fine with that considering its a 700MB file. As for selecting you frame rate and resolutions, I think they all do that, I know I can select between them on the GP.

I'm not trying to knock your contour, if it works well for you and you're happy with it, that's all you can ask for out of a product.

I based my upgrade decision on the fact that I've shot close to 1.5TB of video with the Hero 2, subjected it to constant vibration, dust, being wacked upside a tree and I've smashed it into the ground more times than I'd like to admit yet it still works great. It's been a great product so unless someone comes up with a better consumer level action cam (and they haven't as far as I'm concerned) I'll buy another GP.

Quote:

RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #69
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
+1 to what RF said.

I've owned both a Contour (the first 1080p version) and a few GoPros (Hero 2). The Contour might have a slight edge in image quality, but the thing is an accident waiting to happen. The attachment mechanism is stiff velcro, which ended up being the camera's demise (popped off from contact with my goggle strap while riding down the road; shattered and lost the memory card ). I've fallen on my head with the GoPro attached and it didn't even budge. And more importantly, it still works even after ingesting more than its share of dust and a little bit of water.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #70
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,268
The other thing to note about the Contour GPS is that it's a non-standard video format with the GPS data stream. Editing it with third party tools will loose the GPS overlay.
690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #71
_CJ
Retrogrouch

hmmm, mine doesn't have velcro, it's a firm attachment that clicks in place. The mounting pad uses a super strong double sided tape that I don't think I could remove if I wanted to. I use Dashware software (a third party) to edit the video files and I can choose from several gauges/displays for speed, elevation, g forces, etc, so it's really just a matter of choosing the right third party software, and I can save the video in any format I choose after I'm done editing.

I bought the camera primarily for race car use, so speed, lap times, G's, etc. are of primary importance. For the motorcycle, it's less important, but still fun. It does have a cool feature where it will take a picture at regular intervals (up to 60 seconds), which is kind of nice for riding. No idea if GP does that.

I've only crashed while wearing it once, and everything was fine. The GP does seem tough, I'll give you guys that. I don't see anything that's "a game changer" for this new GP. 4K? Outside of making films for Imax or some other commercial use, I can't see a legitimate application for the average hobbyist. It just smells a lot like i-phone marketing hype.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #72
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
I've only crashed while wearing it once, and everything was fine. The GP does seem tough, I'll give you guys that.
People have run GPs over with Baja buggies and trophy trucks a few times and they still work.

Quote:
I don't see anything that's "a game changer" for this new GP. 4K? Outside of making films for Imax or some other commercial use, I can't see a legitimate application for the average hobbyist. It just smells a lot like i-phone marketing hype.
The lens seems like a relatively large improvement. The remote ability without adding a backpack is a nice feature, but I don't know if I'd call it "game-changing". Just the inexorable onward march of their product line and technology.

I'll be keeping my Hero2s for a while, maybe the 3 will appear in my stocking this winter. Or I'll wait for a price drop.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #73
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo View Post
The remote ability without adding a backpack is a nice feature, but I don't know if I'd call it "game-changing".
It's not a game changer, it's a copy of what Contour developed a year or two ago.....the i-phone app that allows you to use your phone as a viewfinder. I haven't tried it because I'm still using a flip phone.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #74
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,954
Best of both worlds is the DriftHD from Drift Innovations. Wristband remote and built in LCD view screen included. No need for kludged plastic box around a camera. It is small, sleek, and more robust than the GP. It is my favorite over the Contour and GP2:

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/drift-hd/

GP3 looks pretty good though.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #75
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
The other thing to note about the Contour GPS is that it's a non-standard video format with the GPS data stream. Editing it with third party tools will loose the GPS overlay.
Bah.. who needs to edit? Doesn't everyone want to watch raw 45 minute clips of my front tire?

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote