ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #76
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
Best of both worlds is the DriftHD from Drift Innovations. Wristband remote and built in LCD view screen included. No need for kludged plastic box around a camera. It is small, sleek, and more robust than the GP. It is my favorite over the Contour and GP2:

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/drift-hd/

GP3 looks pretty good though.
The drift is only water resistant, the gopro is waterproof with that "kludged" box. There's a difference. Same with the contour.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #77
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
The drift is only water resistant, the gopro is waterproof with that "kludged" box. There's a difference. Same with the contour.
I suppose as an ADV'er you've already used your GoPro to go riding under water?

The DriftHD also has a 30 meter waterproof case, but it doesn't need it for helmet mounted rainy weather. Does the GoPro need the kludge case for helmet mounted rainy weather?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #78
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,320
The wifi remote is nice and I'll try it out and see if I like it but the feature that's a game changer for me is the 1080P/60, 1440/48 & 720/120fps. If you guys haven't played with shooting video at high frame rates you should. The images are super clear and the slomo is studder free, the difference is plainly obvious. I stabilize many of my videos which means they take a big hit in picture quality, it's a drawback of stabilization, nothing to do with the gopro. I video much of the time in 720P/60FPS or 960P/40FPS almost never at 30FPS for that reason. One of the "features" I don't understand on the other cams is the 25fps capability. It's considered a cinematic frame rate but that can be decided at rendering time, The cam should be capturing at the highest rate the user can put up with. The higher the frame rate the better quality picture your video will be.

As for the very high resolutions (2.7KP-30 fps and 4KP-15 fps) aren't for some cinematic use or motorsports ether. They are for arial use, skydiving, base jumping and that stuff the crazy fools do with the gliding suit. Basically filming that isn't affected by odd movements and vibrations. That resolution is on par with some of the upper resolutions of the $15K commercial action cams. Of course for $15K you get a higher FPS, better image processing and light control than the gopro can do.

All that comes at a price, with the new gopro at the resolution I want to run it at, it will greate 50+ GB of video in a full day's ride for 6 hrs of high resolution video. I might get two or three 10min videos out of that. Yeah I know I can use the loop feature that contour has but that's not how I film, turn it on, forget it till the card needs changed.

50GB is a huge amount of data to move/copy and edit. A pretty stout system is needed, fast USB ports and good video card will really help the process out. A $399 wallmart system is out, that kind of data transfer and processing will bring it to it's knees.

It's definately not the cam for everyone.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #79
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Like this Chris? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA2t7...ature=youtu.be

Screw Romney, I like PBS and NPR
Ditch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #80
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Like this Chris? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA2t7...ature=youtu.be

Screw Romney, I like PBS and NPR

WoW!!

Holy Frick!!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #81
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Certainly, I agree with your assessment ofn the GoPro3. It is, however, not so clear cut for the GoPro2. There are others that are better or equal to ease of use things and image quality. There are other cameras that are about to release specifications that are comparable and in cases better than the GoPro3. Hero just happens to be IMO the Apple to the POV camera business.

Have you tried any of the video image distorting programs? Software, as well as device hardware makes a big difference too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The wifi remote is nice and I'll try it out and see if I like it but the feature that's a game changer for me is the 1080P/60, 1440/48 & 720/120fps. If you guys haven't played with shooting video at high frame rates you should. The images are super clear and the slomo is studder free, the difference is plainly obvious. I stabilize many of my videos which means they take a big hit in picture quality, it's a drawback of stabilization, nothing to do with the gopro. I video much of the time in 720P/60FPS or 960P/40FPS almost never at 30FPS for that reason. One of the "features" I don't understand on the other cams is the 25fps capability. It's considered a cinematic frame rate but that can be decided at rendering time, The cam should be capturing at the highest rate the user can put up with. The higher the frame rate the better quality picture your video will be.

As for the very high resolutions (2.7KP-30 fps and 4KP-15 fps) aren't for some cinematic use or motorsports ether. They are for arial use, skydiving, base jumping and that stuff the crazy fools do with the gliding suit. Basically filming that isn't affected by odd movements and vibrations. That resolution is on par with some of the upper resolutions of the $15K commercial action cams. Of course for $15K you get a higher FPS, better image processing and light control than the gopro can do.

All that comes at a price, with the new gopro at the resolution I want to run it at, it will greate 50+ GB of video in a full day's ride for 6 hrs of high resolution video. I might get two or three 10min videos out of that. Yeah I know I can use the loop feature that contour has but that's not how I film, turn it on, forget it till the card needs changed.

50GB is a huge amount of data to move/copy and edit. A pretty stout system is needed, fast USB ports and good video card will really help the process out. A $399 wallmart system is out, that kind of data transfer and processing will bring it to it's knees.

It's definately not the cam for everyone.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #82
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Geo, are you talking about the sony? If so, I was very interested in that when I heard about it, built in steadycam stabilization, nice frame rates etc... After seeing a few of the videos that have been posted by real users I wasn't very impressed, it's their first generation so I expect that cam to get allot better. I'm not sure what the video distorting pgms are, I'm going to look that up.

Nice vid ditch

BTW, we just rode 5MOH, the gopro got some extensive impact testing

Quote:
There are other cameras that are about to release specifications that are comparable and in cases better than the GoPro3. Hero just happens to be IMO the Apple to the POV camera business.

Have you tried any of the video image distorting programs? Software, as well as device hardware makes a big difference too.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #83
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,837
"BTW, we just rode 5MOH, the gopro got some extensive impact testing "

when are you going to debut the video?

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #84
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
BTW, we just rode 5MOH, the gopro got some extensive impact testing

Old 10-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #85
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
"BTW, we just rode 5MOH, the gopro got some extensive impact testing "

when are you going to debut the video?
We're still "on location", filming just wrapped up, headed to Ray's for the dailies and some Liquid refreshment.

Did some crazy slickrock (read scary) on Mary's trail, should be good!

Stay tuned
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #86
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
25fps and its multiples are part of the PAL standard used in Europe and elsewhere.
Cinema is 24fps.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #87
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Quote:
Certainly, I agree with your assessment ofn the GoPro3. It is, however, not so clear cut for the GoPro2. There are others that are better or equal to ease of use things and image quality. There are other cameras that are about to release specifications that are comparable and in cases better than the GoPro3. Hero just happens to be IMO the Apple to the POV camera business.

Quote:
Geo, are you talking about the sony? If so, I was very interested in that when I heard about it, built in steadycam stabilization, nice frame rates etc... After seeing a few of the videos that have been posted by real users I wasn't very impressed, it's their first generation so I expect that cam to get allot better. I'm not sure what the video distorting pgms are, I'm going to look that up.

Here's the new Drift Innovation answer to GoPro 3 camera called the Drift HD Ghost:

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/drift-hd-ghost/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...ving-features/

IMO, this one has more "out of the box" user features than the GoPro3 (outside of the 4k video). Including similar lens design as the GPro3.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #88
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Looks like they were able to get the picture quality issues fixed on this version of the Drift, hopefully the sound also. Their vids look nice, def up there with the GP qualitywise. The picture difference between the GP and the Drift appears negledgable with this new cam.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #89
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
Got an email yesterday that my GP3 black shipped. Should be at my house when I get back in town... :)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #90
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Looking to pick up a GoPro 3. Not sure which one though. I just picked up an Olympus TG-1 waterproof camera for still photos and what not. So the GoPro wouldn't be used as a still shot camera, just a video camera.

Is the Black's video better then the White's, or does it just have better still shot capabilities?

-Josh
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote