ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
SMT on dirt? did about 40 miles on dirt today

Took a ride with some buddies today... some of the guys are retired- I took the day off work since the weather today was going to be nice and warm (fall setting in here and the forecast is looking bad coming up). I rode 280 miles today on the SMT and we rode about 40 miles of dirt and also some pretty rough back roads in addition to that. Had no issues but the dirt roads were in pretty good condition. We had a wide range on bikes on the ride (9 guys)- one guy had a KTM Adventure on one extreme to a guy on a Yamaha FZ1, a Guzzi, a few Buells, V-Strom, Cagiva GC and a Ducati MultiStrada.
here are some pics from the ride.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1055685...eat=directlink

We stopped at an old Triumph shop that is no longer a dealer but has a huge collection of vintage bikes so intersting to look at the stuff there. This stuff has been sitting for years and he doesn't or won't sell any of it (thats soft of ashame as most of it is going to waste as it sits)

'11 KTM 990 SMT
'08 KTM 530XCW
'08 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha YZ250

#00 screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 08:38 PM
#00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #17
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by #00 View Post
We stopped at an old Triumph shop that is no longer a dealer but has a huge collection of vintage bikes so intersting to look at the stuff there. This stuff has been sitting for years and he doesn't or won't sell any of it (thats soft of ashame as most of it is going to waste as it sits)

What a sad view

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
DiasDePlaya OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
After read the last article posted by pebble35 here now I'm sure that I will wait for the new 1190.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
After read the last article posted by pebble35 here now I'm sure that I will wait for the new 1190.
Yeah looked through that too and it all sounds great. I may opt for one after the've been out for a while. In the mean time I've got the SMT and loving it too...

'11 KTM 990 SMT
'08 KTM 530XCW
'08 Yamaha FJR1300
'01 Yamaha YZ250
#00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #20
Joel ph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
SMT on dirt ROADS

The traits that make it an awesome bike on the pavement work on dirt roads too. Neutral handling being the most important. It's a well balanced bike that carries more of its weight lower that the Adventure, an issue to consider.
I rode it through some loose sand and it wasn't much fun but that was with stock road going tires, more aggresive rubber would/will fix that.

The biggest advantages over the Adventure (I owned one for 4-5 years) for me are:
- I find the SMT more comfortable and can ride farther without fatigue
- It's narrower at the seat/tank junction allowing better feet on the ground
- The stock seat is comfortable and the tank is narrower (comfort)
- The stock windscreen doesn't create buffetting around my head
- It doesn't feel top heavy like the Adventure
- It handles better on road and doesn't hunt in crosswinds

Having said all that, I wouldn't have known about these traits before buying it. I chose the SMT because it suited MY riding. Even with a penchant for exploration I don't need a serious dirt bike for it. I expect my bike to be comfortable for long periods in the saddle, be able to navigate secondary (rough) roads including dirt/gravel and 2 track trails, get reasonable fuel mileage and range while providing enough "snap" to entertain, be capable of carrying lugage for light one-up touring, and have good enough suspension for rough conditions but also be smooth and compliant for highways.

I assessed what kind of riding was most important for me and made (the right) decision. Though I am a KTM devotee I looked at the BMW's as I owned one of them for many years. Unfortunately for the performance they deliver, based on my criteria I found them to be WAAAYYYYY over priced.

I think you have to get what you want right now and accept that your requirements or outlook may change over time and you might feel the need to get a new bike.
Joel ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #21
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 79
FWIW, I started with KTM on a 690 Enduro, love it, and wanted a 2nd bike with similar feel but more power and comfort for road trips, and after some tests the 990 SMT was the perfect choice. I can't imagine taking this (or another) 200+ kg monster on the trails where my 690 goes, and I agree with my dealer that the 1190 R is not for off-road usage. I do occasionally spin the wheels of the SMT on easy dirt tracks, the suspension is great as usual with KTM, and with trail tires it may be more fun, but the 690 is at home on trails. On any given day I choose what I'll be doing and where it will take me, and then take the best bike for that adventure. On every trail ride I have been where someone with a 990 ADV came along, they cursed and wished they had a 690. To me, the 990 ADV are bikes for long trips where a compromise between road and trail is needed, and now the 1190 models are also to compete with the 1200 GS or as an fun alternative to a SUV around town.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #22
ktm1
StIlL lOsT

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
FWIW, I started with KTM on a 690 Enduro, love it, and wanted a 2nd bike with similar feel but more power and comfort for road trips, and after some tests the 990 SMT was the perfect choice. I can't imagine taking this (or another) 200+ kg monster on the trails where my 690 goes, and I agree with my dealer that the 1190 R is not for off-road usage. I do occasionally spin the wheels of the SMT on easy dirt tracks, the suspension is great as usual with KTM, and with trail tires it may be more fun, but the 690 is at home on trails. On any given day I choose what I'll be doing and where it will take me, and then take the best bike for that adventure. On every trail ride I have been where someone with a 990 ADV came along, they cursed and wished they had a 690. To me, the 990 ADV are bikes for long trips where a compromise between road and trail is needed, and now the 1190 models are also to compete with the 1200 GS or as an fun alternative to a SUV around town.

I started on a 690r and just like you I'm searching for the same feel but in a larger displacement. I can only dream that they put that motor in a tard
ktm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #23
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 79
It has been almost 3 years now, and I still ride the 690R and the 990SMT, both for single day or multi day trips, either off-road or sport touring. I could possibly use a 990ADV or 1190ADVR to do both, but it would be a compromise, less capable and more effort off-road and less fun and sporty on road. I have friends with either of these ADV and they can follow, but it's just not the best tool for the job. For a RTW or 1+ month trip where only one bike is possible, the ADV would be my choice (and probably the 990 for its reliability), but for my usage I prefer to choose the best from two bikes.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #24
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Owned a 950 Adventure and currently own a SMT.
Different birds with some overlap.
Loved both, would still like to have an adventure, but what it comes down to is what you want to do with it and what tires you need to do it.
I've taken the SMT on some dirt roads and it works fairly well, but your tire choices for trail rides is limited.
On the street I've run at the front of Sunday morning rides on an Adventure with A/T's and TKC's, but it's not going to outrun the SMT on the road ever unless you need 9" of suspension travel to do it.
You want one bike that can do it all....Adventure.
I'm usually grinning/laughing my ass off when I ride my SMT though.
An Adventure with some Conti's will have you grinning too and be a bit more flexible for your local I would imagine.
Mostly road...SMT.
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote