User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Burgess Falls State Park - TN

Tomorrow morning I hope to visit Burgess Falls State Park as part of the 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832714). I think Burgess Falls SP is a little unusual in that it doesn't seem to have any type of camping (tent, cabins, etc.). The main attraction seems to be the water fall (makes sense in a logical, non-Liberia kind of way).

This may be the route:

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]

Liberia screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 04:29 PM
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Started, stopped, hope to start again tomorrow

I was over 2 hours late getting started and had a definite appointment at 5pm back in Murfreesboro. I started the ride, made a wrong turn somewhere in the backroads and ended up in Woodbury. No big deal but felt like I was cutting it too close so turned around and came back to the office. I hope to try again tomorrow afternoon.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Liberia OP
Fortunate

A few pics from the initial (unsuccessful) start

As mentioned above, I started this ride last Saturday but felt a little squeezed for time so bailed on it to try again another day. Hopefully this Saturday. As always, you are welcome to join me for the ride. I think that MrBreeze is making a trip to Fall Creek Falls State Park this Saturday as well. I might try to meet up for that portion if it works out.

So, starting out from the office again.

I picked the Concours because I would be on some small backroads and perhaps even gravel. I'm not really sure it would be be any better than the Roadliner but perhaps.

The weather.

It was supposed to be a little cool but mostly sunny for the day but the sun was absent more than present during most of the day. But the temperature was great.

I left the office and travelled down East Main Street in Murfreesboro which is one of the prettiest streets when the trees are putting on their fall colors. Perhaps the most colorful trees on Main Street this year were in a retired MTSU professor's yard. His name is King Jamison, no kidding. I've known him since 1977. A really nice man. I've always wondered how his wife adjusted to calling her husband "King" after they got married.

Unfortunately there wasn't a convenient place to park in front of any of the really nice trees so I kept moving.

I did, however, have a GoPro Hero2 camera mounted to my helmet and it was set to take a picture every 10 seconds. So here's a couple of Main Street shots.

Left on Middle Tennessee Blvd and a quick shot of Murphy Center.

Then a right on Greenland Drive. But first a stop for a shot of the football stadium (actually, the parking lot).

More in the morning.

Liberia screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 04:58 AM
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Leaving town

I should mention that Middle Tennessee State University is the largest undergraduate university in the State. I think, with their graduate schools, that the University of Tennessee is slightly larger.

Leaving Murfreesboro Greenland Drive turns into Halls Hill Pike. Many of the secondary highways in this area are called Pikes. I understand that a pike was a private toll road a couple of hundred years ago. But I doubt all of these fit that description.

I've driven this road hundreds (thousands) of times as we used to live about 8 miles out of town in this direction. Not a lot of expensive homes on this side of the county. Mostly farmers and middle to low income residences.

Speaking of having lived out this way, here's our previous residence. A small home on 6 acres. Mrs. Liberia and I raised three children here and we had a good neighbor named Mr. McKnight. He was an old time farmer. Quite old at the time but the steadiest worker I've ever seen. Got a lot done without a lot of drama.

LiberiaSon and our daughter-in-law live here now.

Porterfield up next.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Liberia OP
Fortunate

The metropolis of Porterfield, TN

Every little community in Middle Tennessee used to have a small country store. This was known as the Porterfield community and this was its store (back in the day). Many of them sit immediately adjacent to the highway as they were there before the highways were built.

People have tried to rescue these old community stores in many ways but it seems the most prominent was to open an antique's store. That almost never works but it doesn't keep people from trying.

Immediately across the highway from this store is McKnight Branch. A lot of the roads in this area have Ford in their names. It means, at least at some point in the past, that you had to cross (ford) a creek to continue on the road. In my college days I worked with a couple of older men (70's) and they had lived in this area all of their lives. One would talk about fording a creek on the road to town. "Brother, if it had rained you didn't try to ford that creek," he would say. "It would warsh you away." Although this isn't a regular road, it gives you an idea of what was required to travel the backroads of Middle Tennessee in the not to distant past.

Next up....a wrong turn spoils the day.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Wrong turn!

If you've never read any of my other ride reports then I am great at navigation and never make a wrong turn. If you have read them, then I am pleading the 5th.

So I turned by the Porterfield store onto Porterfield Road. This is where I should have gone:

Right onto Porterfield Rd………………………….….[0.4] [16.6]
Left onto Dement Hollow Rd…………………….….[2.5] [19.1]
Continue on B Tenpenny Rd…………………………[1.6] [20.7]
Left onto Locke Creek Rd……………………………..[0.2] [20.9]
Continue on Pleasant Ridge Rd......................[4.9] [25.8]

But instead I "continued" on Porterfield Road rather than turning left onto Dement Hollow Road. Here's what it looks like on the map (seems simple enough):

Here's what it looks like in person (as I ride cluelessly by):

The problem is that here's where it takes you:

This "missed road thing" is a classic example of what my flight instructor spent weeks trying to teach me. "You can always turn back." As my printed out version of the directions above clearly showed, when I turned onto Porterfield Rd there was 4 tenths of a mile and then the left turn. But I didn't look at the directions and didn't remember them very well in my mind. I did know, however, that I had missed the road. But I couldn't make myself turn around. Go figure.

Of course you do get to see some new and interesting sights (and there's very little traffic).

And there are occassional curves as well.

On to Woodbury....

Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Woodbury, a Drive-In, Hells Angels and a U-Turn

So I've made it onto John Bragg Hwy and am coming into the edge of Woodbury. The police station is one of the first buildings you see. I've never heard of a speed trap or excessive ticketing. Of course there's always a first time.

One thing that Woodbury has that most towns don't is a Drive-In theater.

While I'm parked getting a photo of the Drive-In three bikes come by and wave. I finish my picture taking and head off in the same direction. Shortly I'm behind 1 Harley and 2 Want-To-Bees (I can say that since I have a Want-To-Bee right now and have owned several Harleys, and will again).

Exiting the east side of Woodbury I come on this sign and, somehow, it leads me to calculate the time remaining to Burgess Falls SP, the time to actually see the park and the time to get back to my office by my 5pm deadline. "Survey says!!!! There's not enough time to do this without creating stress." So I make a U-Turn and head back.

Sure enough, the police station is still there.

This time I take the fast ride back.

And finally I'm back at the office with 3 hours to spare. Funny how you can be 3 hours early but completing the ride would have made me late. Oh well, I'll try again next week.