ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #196
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,353
Got another place for ya....

Took a ride today and wound up in Burlington...so recalling the place Stephen mentioned so I sought it out....

And The Money Shot...

STBNE screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 03:49 PM
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #197
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

This was the regular chopped BBQ "Tray" which was $6.00 Sweet Tea was not overly sweet...and sitting there is a bottle of their own BBQ sauce. This stuff was really good...They sell it at the counter and i brought a bottle of it home($4.50)...its a very tangy sauce with Vinegar,Catsup,Salt,Sugar,Mustard,Spices.Peppers andd Worcestershire.
The minute i entered the restaurant my nose encountered the smokey wood burning smell in the air that clued me in that this was going to be real good...
The Q was awesome ...moist and had a wonderful smoked wood flavor along with the taste of vinegar...adding the sauce by the forkfull instead of pouring it over the Q so I could add more or less to each forkfull...The BBQ sauce really enhanced the flavor and my taste buds were screaming in delight...Cole slaw looks generic but is a bit better than that...sweet....hushpuppies were light and slightly sweet...very crisply fried up...wonderfully melt in your mouth...This place earns high marks from me as it ranks right up there with the very best of them... I will return and the next time i will try one of their combination plates...You simply cannot go wrong here...

STBNE screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 05:21 PM
Old 06-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #198
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,678
I'm glad you liked it. Growing up in Burlington, I've lost my taste for Hursey's Q but I genuinely still LOVE their broasted chicken. If you like fried chicken, you really need to try Hursey's next go 'round. Also, you don't have to drive all the way in to Burlington as they have another restaurant on Hwy 87 just south of Graham.

My family has been eating there for generations as the Hursey family lives just around the corner and right across from the school I grew up in. They still have a meat processing facility on 87N in Altamahaw.

There used to be an awesome Q place in Haw River called J&G but an ellectrical fire burned it down and they never rebuilt. They moved to the other side of town but the clientele over there (snooty, upper-crust) just didn't keep the place going. Besides, it wasn't the same since it could no longer be smoked on site.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #199
DarkHyper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Moe's BBQ in Ashville, NC...awesome pulled pork, ribs etc. The cornbread is the best! It's just minutes off the Blue Ridge Parkway, a few blocks from Asheville Eurosport BMW/KTM.

DarkHyper screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 09:36 PM Reason: Info
DarkHyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #200
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHyper View Post
Moe's BBQ in Ashville, NC...awesome pulled pork, ribs etc. The cornbread is the best! It's just minutes off the Blue Ridge Parkway, a few blocks from Asheville Eurosport BMW/KTM.
Dang. Was within a frisbee toss of there last week and missed it.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #201
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Searching for a place to go today, I found this site which cracked me right up for a good 20 minutes or so.

HTTP://bbqjew.com

I'm not Jewish, but really liked this guy's take on a lot of places. He's serious (and pretty funny) and it's worth a look.

wb57 screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 04:10 PM
Old 07-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #202
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Searching for a place to go today, I found this site which cracked me right up for a good 20 minutes or so.

HTTP://bbqjew.com

I'm not Jewish, but really liked this guy's take on a lot of places. He's serious (and pretty funny) and it's worth a look.
Oy!!!
Old 07-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #203
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
Oy!!!

Hit one of the places on his list today and while I agreed with a lot of his reviews, I did NOT on this one...

Review when I have time to type it up.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #204
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,339
Heads up BBQ heads...

Pigs & Pedals in Asheboro, NC this weekend. Bikes (pedal), BBQ, bands and beer. Looks like a good time.

http://www.heartofnorthcarolina.com/pigsandpedals/

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #205
NCMtns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
If you're ever in Burke County NC on thurs,friday or saturday you have to try JD'S BBQ in Rutherford college. Exit 113 off I-40, About a mile off interstate towards the hospital. You won't regret it.

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
NCMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #206
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pierce's Pitt Barbecue - Williamsburg, VA

Pierce's Pitt Barbecue
Address: 447 E Rochambeau Dr, Williamsburg, VA 23188
Phone:(757) 565-2955

www.pierces.com

I tend to look at barbecue places in VA in a condescending way as most of them really just don't get it. It's like they've heard of it and have an idea what it's about, but don't really want to put the effort into doing it the right way. Not in a SC mustard kind of way, but more like they just don't understand what they're messing with. Kind of like that line from the first Spiderman movie: "With great power comes great responsibility".

Pierce's is different. They DO get it. They do it a bit differently, but they recognize the focus of the place IS the barbecue. For that, I give them high marks. Do they compare to the best of what NC has to offer? Nope. Are they likely the best you're going to find in VA? Probably. At least far and away the best I've found there.

It's a order at the counter kind of place and to me, the menu was a bit confusing. I just wanted a plate with a couple of sides. The place was busy and the menu is on a board over the registers.
http://www.pierces.com/specials.asp

I ordered the JC Special which was a barbecue sandwich, fries, drink and a cookie(?), And hushpuppies.

Sauce selection is going to be a bit limited:

The interior is two or three rooms with a condiment and drink counter in the middle.

The food was decent. Barbecue was pretty good - moist but not greasy, slight smoky flavor. Fries were, well, this ain't a thread about fries but they did cook their frozen fries pretty well... Hushpuppies were of the utility variety. The cookie was good. But, seriously???

If you ask, they might give you a couple of stickers if you tell them you're going to put them on your bike.

Overall, I wouldn't make it a barbecue destination, but if you're in the area and hungry, definitely stop in.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:45 PM   #207
flyguync
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Anyone ever been to the Meadow restaurant (in Meadow) ? I haven't been there in a couple of years, but the food was always excellent. They have a buffet with the usual fried chicken, chicken pastry, barbecue, vegetables and deserts. Everything is freshly-prepared on the premises and is delicious. I'll have to make a swing down there to see if it's still the same and do a review.

Their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Meado...37014072981486
2001 Honda XR650R (Sold)
flyguync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #208
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguync View Post
Anyone ever been to the Meadow restaurant (in Meadow) ? I haven't been there in a couple of years, but the food was always excellent. They have a buffet with the usual fried chicken, chicken pastry, barbecue, vegetables and deserts. Everything is freshly-prepared on the premises and is delicious. I'll have to make a swing down there to see if it's still the same and do a review.

Their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Meado...37014072981486

Found this just now:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Carolina.html

Looks like it's worth a trip.

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #209
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Backyard BBQ Pit - Durham/RTP

Just found this place on the map a while ago. Didn't even know it existed although it's pretty close.

Backyard BBQ Pit
5122 NC HWY 55
Durham, NC 27713

http://www.sweetribs.com/backyard-bb...-nc-story.html

View from outside:

We went around 2:00 on a Saturday. The place was packed with a line out the door and virtually all tables full.

The menu:

Standing in line, heard the folks behind the counter shouting out the things they were out of. I don't know if this is just a typical Saturday or one that caught them off guard, but they were out of about 25% of what was on the menu. Or more.

I got a plate with slaw and macaroni & cheese and she got a plate with green beans and corn,

The hushpuppies:

The sauces are at the plastic fork/napkin stand in the middle of the place with some small cups to get some for your table. There were three different ones.

The spiciest of the three was pretty tasty. The other two were pretty non-descript to my way of thinking. Honestly, the barbecue itself was the greasiest I've ever had anywhere to the point that I was wondering what was wrong with it. The flavor wasn't necessarily bad and it would have been pretty good had it not just had me wondering how on earth a puddle of grease should be served with barbecue. The sides, we thought, were very good. The slaw was pretty much of the utility variety. The hushpuppies were hot and fresh, but otherwise pretty unremarkable. Oh yeah, they were out of any/all deserts.

Prices were reasonable. I've heard other folks say that they really like the place and based on that, I'm going to have to wonder if it was just an "off" day or what. Without that commentary, I don't think I'd ever venture back. It's on the outskirts of RTP just south of the 54/55 intersection. Not a ride-worthy destination from here, but probably not bad coming from the south.

The inside is, well, different. Walls are graffiti'ed.

There are some pretty good potholes in the floor:

At least one table was unusable as it was collapsing. All in all, unless I'm nearby and just feeling like barbecue and giving this place another shot, doubtful I'll go back.

wb57 screwed with this post 08-08-2014 at 02:56 PM
Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #210
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

That Q does look greasy...I've not had that experience...yet