ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #46
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,948
Barbecue Lodge, Raleigh, NC 12/15/2012

Barbecue Lodge
4600 Capital Boulevard
Raleigh, NC 27604
919-872-4755
http://barbecuelodgeraleigh.com/

Set out this morning to grab a couple tags in local/regional games and got about 5 or 6 miles before my hands told me I was too stupid to do this with the gloves I had on. Thought about just bagging it for the day and doing chore crap. Then I realized that was even more stupid and I should just go eat, warm up and THEN go ride.

I've been to the Barbecue Lodge a fair number of times, but only because it's close. The place does have some local history and it's been around for a good while. It's in a strip mall in what's becoming a, uh, "less desirable" section of town.

From the outside:

Greeted promptly by Santa Pig:

In the past, they'd done a buffet of sorts on Sundays, but apparently, they do it every day now. This is new within the last couple of months. Figured, what the hell, I'll see if I can try some of everything. I'm cold, hungry and, face it, can get my money's worth at a buffet.

Plate #1:

Pork barbecue - adequate. Certainly nothing to get overly excited about, but not bad.
Turkey barbecue - okay, not sure I actually get this, but I'll give them points for doing something different. Pretty decent, smoked turkey. Interesting and I'll try it again sometime.
Butter beans - excellent
Green beans - well, normally I look forward to these, but they must have put a new person in charge of them today.
Macaroni and cheese - probably not up to Davo-55 quality, but really good. Top ten all time.

Oh yeah, the "condiments" on the table:

Lame. Pinky size bottle of Texas Pete and a similar size shaker bottle of their uneventful sauce.

Hushpuppies:

The good: Large basket of hushpuppies and the first place I've been served corn sticks in a while. The bad: cold. Really? Cold? No excuse for that. Zero.

Plate #2:

Shrimp - excellent. Lightly breaded, small shrimp, fresh out of the fryer. No secret ingredients to hide the taste of the shrimp. Done exactly how I think they ought to be.
Barbecued chicken - WAY sweeter than any chicken should be allowed to be. Some folks may like it this way, but I'm not among them. Chicken itself was fall off the bone tender, but I couldn't eat it. A shame.
Boiled potatoes - perfect.
Corn - canned, but no points deducted.
Boiled cabbage - not a fan, but decided to get some anyway in a "what the hell" moment. Didn't really care for it, but I didn't expect to. Tender, cooked right, but I'm just not a boiled cabbage guy.
Oh yeah, snagged a slice of Pecan Pie just in case I couldn't make a third trip...

Plate #3:
(Not make a third trip? Please...)

Fried chicken - very tasty. Cooked just right. Not too much breading. Just how it ought to be.
Smoked sausage - very good. Should have gotten this on the first plate. Wanted more, but just wasn't going to make it. Mildly spicy, a hint overcooked, but well within the range of "I want more".
Deep fried bacon - as someone who firmly believes that bacon makes EVERYTHING better (I defy you to even try to prove that wrong), this was a welcome addition. I've only seen it one place before and they actually breaded it before frying it. This is how I figure it ought to be. Very crisp and tasty.
Pot roast - well, let's just say they ought to stick to "typical" barbecue fare. The only thing I didn't finish.

Pecan Pie - very good. Probably not made here, but very good. Not disgustingly sweet as I was worried it might be. Almost went back for more, but realized I still want to get a hundred miles or so in today.

$11.00 plus tip for the buffet including tea and dessert. More than I wanted to spend for lunch, but very well worth it. If I go back, I'll stick to the winners and leave happy.

Biggest complaint: unremarkable barbecue and embarrassingly bland sauce. This *IS* a barbecue place. Some places that have been around for a while tend to just go through the motions. While this place doesn't drop to that level, a few things were pretty uninspirational. The barbecue shouldn't lead that list.

They're open for breakfast during the week and a coworker used to bring biscuits from them in occasionally. Haven't had one recently, but they used to be world class. Might have to give them a shot this week.

The ride: In a strip mall on one of the busiest roads in Raleigh.

EDIT/Follow up: Went back for lunch today (Tuesday) since it's been years since there was a barbecue/buffet place anywhere near here. Verdict - FAR BETTER. Now the only place in town worth going to for lunch. Seriously and no fooling. Couple items from the weekend were missing, but there were a couple new items. Everything was hot and fresh. AND it was $7.95 for the same deal - including tea or lemonade and dessert. Finally! The last nail in the coffin for every other place within reach of the office during the week.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)

wb57 screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 12:52 PM
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #47
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Nice review Bruce. I am going to get in on this thread for real soon, but it will be Va BBQ joints....
Old 12-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #48
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Do it. Just like I've found the tag games give me some place to go when I've got no place to go, this does too. Plus, I've managed to get my barbecue intake up to reasonable levels.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #49
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,727
found this thread entertaining....Dave, looks like u could use a Lysol wipe on that remote!!
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #50
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

You made me go back and look... I don't typically look at the sanitation ratings of some of these places, but, damn. Guess I better start.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #51
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,328
cool thread Bruce...i'll be adding to this from time to time...Thanks for the headsup...These are past reviews but sorry no pics...
BTW I liked BBQ Barn in Butner too. My plate of Q was very moist and vinegary...cole slaw looked generic but was pretty good...hushpuppies were odd shaped...light and sweet tasting...Did not add any sauces altho i recall seeing the texas Pete on the table...to me any additional sauces just cover up what I'm trying to taste.
First place i ever ate eastern style bbq was in Stamey's BBQ in Greensboro...an excellent place that cooks their pork over wood...(i beleive...I havent been there in 3 yrs tho) bbq was excellent moist...vinegary ...puppies were light and sweet...excellent peach cobbler too...overall my first bbq experience in Nc and I would rate it as excellent
Allen and Son...Chapel Hill NC...packed parking lot...constant stream of people coming and going...BBQ was excellent ...moist and vinegary...hush puppies were the size and shape of ping pong balls..a llittle on the heavy side but sweet...excellent flavor...sweet tea by the pitcher...way too sweet for me....overall an excellent experience...

Clyde Cooper's BBQ Downtown Raleigh...Hard to tell as i ordered food to go and didnt really eat it until a few hours later...I had a BBQ sandwich with a side of coleslaw and hushpuppies(6). I did sample the puppies as I picked the order up and they were very light and sweet...an odd shape and faairly big in size. Later eating the sandwich the Q tasted vinegary but yet it was dry...also bun was not very good quality...next time I'll return to eat in and have a bbq platter and skip the bread.oh the coleslaw was excellent...not genereic looking or tasting...
From this point forward i will make a more concerted effort to post details with pics...like you have Bruce...good fun!!!
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #52
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
That's my bad.
I didn't realize they were open for evenings.
Their bread just gets in the way of the Q.
It is blah bread too. I go there whenever I have to visit that tall building a block or two away. Hopefully less now that my bike is slower. :)
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #53
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oh.... *THAT* tall building.

You still have plenty of performance award potential, just the means to make a much sneakier escape now...

Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #54
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
Allen and Son...Chapel Hill NC...packed parking lot...constant stream of people coming and going...BBQ was excellent ...moist and vinegary...hush puppies were the size and shape of ping pong balls..a llittle on the heavy side but sweet...excellent flavor...sweet tea by the pitcher...way too sweet for me....overall an excellent experience...
Of the places I've hit since I had this idea, Allen and Son has had the best standalone barbecue. I need to make another trip back out there. I hit the one between Pittsboro and Chapel Hill.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #55
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Of the places I've hit since I had this idea, Allen and Son has had the best standalone barbecue. I need to make another trip back out there. I hit the one between Pittsboro and Chapel Hill.
Let me know...I'd like to go too!!!...alas i return to graveyard shift starting tmrw nite...so weekdays are out...they are a good 45 min ride from my house to the one in Chapel Hill...and thats taking the superslabs...mostly uninspiring ride...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #56
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Also want to hit Wilbur's in Goldsboro.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #57
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Also want to hit Wilbur's in Goldsboro.
Oh I have been there too but for some reason I do not recall very much abt that day...except that it was good...wworth repeating as well...seeing as to how you criticque an establishment ...even taking into account the ride there is much more detailed than I have been..a good format to follow...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #58
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
Damn it.
Every time I read through this thread I REALLY want some good bbq.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #59
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
That's my bad.
I didn't realize they were open for evenings.
Their bread just gets in the way of the Q.
It is blah bread too. I go there whenever I have to visit that tall building a block or two away. Hopefully less now that my bike is slower. :)
open mon-sat 10 am to 6 pm...wish i knew abt the bread it really sucked...must've been Merita shita...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #60
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,339
How about a meet, greet, ride & eat here sometime? It is hard to beat a good ride, great BBQ and an even better bench racing/BS'ing session.

http://www.pik-n-pig.com/

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain