ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #76
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,839
Yes there are .I'm told that King's also has restaurant in Kinston that's been around for many years... the place IH snow hill is pretty mew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

STBNE screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 05:36 PM
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #77
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,434
On a related note, we just picked up a barbecue place as a client. They sent a "sample pack" back with one of the technicians yesterday. This is a good thing.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #78
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

newest discovery!!!

In Louisburg...on 56 not far from the jct. with 401 is this place...

The Q...

This is my new favorite place...The Q is very vinegary and moist...the hushpuppies were striaght out of the fryer when i got 'em...hot and crispy and sweet...later when they cooled and had ridden home they got soft which is to be expected...the green beans were fresh and had a sweet taste as well...the cole slaw is homemade and had a very unique spice to it...loved it...this was the small platter ...Q 2 sides and hushpuppies for $6.50 and w/tax came to just abt $7.
And i'll be coming back...this is really excellent eastern style Q...IMHO it dont get much better than this...you'll just have to try it for yo'sef...

STBNE screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 05:05 PM
Old 05-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #79
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good deal! I've ridden by there a few times, but it always seems to be on a Sunday. I'll make it a point to head there intentionally.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #80
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

BTW the small platter was enough for 2 meals...
Old 05-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #81
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Depending on what time the bad weather rolls in here today, it might be time for a trip back out there.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #82
Krypt Keeper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I use to do the same thing with a buddy. Would ride all over trying different "Q" places or mexi food. Have had Q from Virginia to Texas.

Downside is for the past 5 or 6 yrs I started doing my own Q (pork, brisket, ribs, turkey, sausage) Got two smokers, a perfected dry rub, and two sauces (sweet mato based, and a carolina based). Give pint mason jars to people I like. Only ingrediant listed is "made with love"

I love Q, and once you start doing your own thing you will always compare yours to theirs. I spent 2 yrs perfecting my techniques, and even talked with a few people about opening my own place.

I will still eat at bar b q places, but truthfully I am never 100% happy with it. Thats the curse of doing your own.

Great thread though. Whatever gets you riding and enjoying your travels.
Krypt Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #83
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I completely get that. I brewed my own beer for many years and have started roasting my own coffee lately. But with both, even if I found the "perfect" recipe, I still love to try others. I enjoy the variations in all of it. Hell, I like both sweet AND unsweet tea.

Although I can do some pretty mean ribs, brisket and the like on the grill, I don't think I could personally come up with an acceptable pork barbecue. I've had some "amateur" attempts from friends and it was certainly edible, but I'd rather pay the pro on this one.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #84
Krypt Keeper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Love all forms of Q and love eating Q so I have no problem eating it.

for my pulled pork I have a little secret I use to ensure all the work of smoking the meat can be tastes in every wonderful bite.

seperates you from others pretty fast when all those wonderfuls bits of bark from smoking is being tasted from start to finish.

damnit now i am hungry for some Q, got some beef ribs in the fridge hmmmmm
Krypt Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #85
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dang. Now I'm getting hungry....

Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #86
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Danny's Barbecue - Cary/Morrisville, NC 05/25/2013

New bike, gorgeous weather, holiday weekend.... barbecue, right? Well, that's what I thought. Couple guys at work had been talking about a place not too far away called Danny's Barbecue and speaking pretty highly of it. In retrospect, I should have paid attention to the fact that:
A) they're both from Florida
B) well, that should probably have been enough.

Danny's Barbecue

Three locations. I went to this one:
9561 Chapel Hill Rd
Morrisville, NC 27560
919-468-3995

http://www.dannysbarbque.com/index.html

The fact that all their locations are in or very close to Cary, should have been another giveaway about what was to come. Cary is often referred to as an acronym for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. But, I went anyway.

Got to the address and it's a f'ng strip mall... Tucked neatly between the Food Lion and the Dollar Tree, I found it. No place to get a pic of the bike in front and honestly, I didn't want to just yet...

The menu proudly proclaimed that they were voted the best in the area by a local TV station's viewers for one month in 1997. Really? Is this damning by faint praise or what???

What the hell... I'm here, right? And the menu also says "Lean meat, great sauce", so, you know, how bad could it be? Since barbecue is lean meat anyway, isn't that a fuzz redundant???

First thing I notice is that they don't serve hush puppies, but "texas toast" with their barbecue. Who the hell thunk this up? And they have something called "fried corn". I asked about it and it's a half ear of corn on the cob dropped in the fryer. Wondering at this point if I should just walk next door and get some chicken or something from the Food Lion cold case.

Here's an interior shot. It's bigger than this, but just imagine four copies of this pic arranged in a neat strip mall format:

Their sauce selection. Remember, it's "great sauce". So there.

Okay. I'm here. Go for it. Ordered the Barbecue Plate with fries (yeah, I know...) and green beans. Sorry, not feeling adventurous enough to try and slug down fried corn on the cob.

The food.
Texas toast. Seriously? And just some thick sliced white bread that had been toasted on one side a while ago? Not only was it not hush puppies, but it was the lamest excuse for "texas toast" I've seen anywhere. That frozen crap from the grocery store laughs at this.

Green beans. Canned and likely nuked. Not even the good brand of canned, but the generic crap that comes loaded with stems and other garbage. Passingly edible, but nothing more.

Barbecue. Simply, the most bland excuse for barbecue I've had. Ever. Completely tasteless. You know how meat you've cooked previously tastes when it comes reheated out of the microwave a couple days later? Yep. It had a vague barbecue-like look and texture to it, but nobody that actually enjoys it would mistake this for it. I'd expect better if McDonalds ever started selling Pork McBBQ or the like. Seriously.

The sauce. Four different ones. All unlabeled, but two were vinagery and two were ketchupy. Both the vinegar ones lacked even a vinegar taste and were indistinguishable from each other even though they looked a good deal different. The ketchupy ones - one was, well, ketchupy and the other was the same but with some drug store generic heat added to it. One word covers all four: awful.

Fries. Wow. This is going to sound odd, but they were the highlight of the meal. Frozen to begin with, of course, but cooked perfectly. Hot, crisp and tasty. Went well with the actual ketchup provided. Maybe that was the "tasty sauce" they mentioned. When I looked around and realized that everyone that worked there, friendly as they may be, probably got their food experience in a fast food joint, it made sense.

Oh yeah, the tea was watery.

Even if I had been able to get a picture of my bike with the sign/entrance, I wouldn't post it. This place did nothing but make me try to figure out the worst place I'd been to for barbecue. Didn't matter though. This is the new winner in that category. Hands down. By far.

wb57 screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 03:32 AM
Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #87
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
[Even if I had been able to get a picture of my bike with the sign/entrance, I wouldn't post it. This place did nothing but make me try to figure out the worst place I'd been to for barbecue. Didn't matter though. This is the new winner in that category. Hands down. By far.[/QUOTE]

Tell us how you REALLY felt about the joint, Bruce
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #88
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,318
Hop on the new bike ( nice looking ride!) and travel to this address to cure your BBQ blues,

194 Gilliam McConnell Rd, Carthage, NC
(910) 947-7591 Call before you ride. I don't know their hours for this holiday weekend.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 05-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #89
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB57
Even if I had been able to get a picture of my bike with the sign/entrance, I wouldn't post it. This place did nothing but make me try to figure out the worst place I'd been to for barbecue. Didn't matter though. This is the new winner in that category. Hands down. By far.
Tell us how you REALLY felt about the joint, Bruce
I'd rather replace my face shield with a bag of cicadas than go there again.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #90
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
Hop on the new bike ( nice looking ride!) and travel to this address to cure your BBQ blues,

194 Gilliam McConnell Rd, Carthage, NC
(910) 947-7591 Call before you ride. I don't know their hours for this holiday weekend.

<>< Fish
Is that where you all did the ENC dinner a short while ago? If so, I wanted to make that. Looked great. Just found their website. Carthage may be a good ride for today. Thanks.

The Pik-n-Pig
194 Gilliam McConnell Road
Carthage, NC 28327
(910) 947-7591
Hours of Operation
Tuesday thru Saturday from 11am - 8pm
Sunday 12 Noon to 3pm