ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #106
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,250
I drive by parker's in wilson everyday...never been in there...most times i pass by are during their off hours...but once i drove by during the day and the place was packed. Once school lets out I may stop in and try them.

2001 Honda ST1100...STOC#7000
1979 Yamaha XS1100F Go Your Own Way
"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #107
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,819
Are you riding to work at all or on night shift these days?

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #108
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Are you riding to work at all or on night shift these days?
both....riding as weather permits altho i'm a bit lazy getting motivated to ride nights,,,

"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
Old 05-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #109
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,759
So... After getting a fix to an addiction I got the munchies...that's right I went out tagging and got hungry. This is my local Que joint... My local favorite. Sad part is I rode within a few miles of my favorite BBQ in Galax, Va, the Galax Smokehouse. I will ride there and do a report soon.
I stopped in Pilot Mountain, NC for something to eat at "Good Times Bar-B-Que". I know on weekends they have live bands playing music I don't care for. So, I have no report on that.
Here are my couple photos

And now the entry

I ordered a small platter with potato salad, hush puppies and and a side order of 3 ribs.....I the food was great. It was the perfect amount to fill me up. I can't wait to go back. I had water to drink, it was wet.
My bill with tip was $11
I recommend if in the area to stop in
Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #110
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Is Goodtimes in King? Mapping out my weekend ride now. Thought I was getting near Galax, but I think I re-routed somewhere along the line...

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Old 06-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #111
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,759
No, it is in Pilot Mtn.
425 E Hwy 52 Bypass,
Pilot Mountain, North Carolina 27041
PHONE: 336 - 368 - 0008
Hours: Tuesday - Friday: 11 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday: 11 a.m. - 10 p.m. Live Music 8p.m. !
Sorry for not putting in address.
The BBQ places in King would make a place to avoid.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #112
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Allen and Sons, Hillsborough, NC location - 6/1/2013

Allen & Son

(919) 942-7576

6203 Millhouse Rd
Chapel Hill, NC 27516

A tag run to Hillsborough, NC led to an impromptu lunch meeting with a few other local taggers/inmates who I had not yet had the pleasure of meeting. Met NCStephen, BlueMoose and his wife, PinkMoose around noon. The place was pretty crowded.

Brief report as I was more into talking with these folks than being critical of the food.

Compared to the Pittsboro/Bynum location - the barbecue was the same - some of the best to be found anywhere - moist, seasoned well, fresh and hot. The slaw was different in that it was NOT seasoned the same as the other location which was a little bit of a disappointment as theirs has been my favorite of this whole journey. Hushpuppies were very good. Hot and fresh and beat the hell out of the "texas toast" served at the last mistake I stopped at.

Prices were on the high side compared to other places similar to this - $10.50 for a barbecue plate and $1.50 for a Diet Coke in a small mason jar (with no refills???).

Very good riding in the area. Lots of rural road in good shape to be found.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/25/29003...on-Chapel-Hill

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Old 06-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #113
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Two by Two BBQ. Located in Rocky Mount,VA.
I was looking forward to trying this place after reading some good reviews online. Drove past it once, I was looking for a roadside joint.
First disappointment, it is located in a run down strip mall.

Oh well I am here, and ready for lunch.

The place was a little over half full, but not packed. The sign said" Please wait to be seated"

So I waited

And waited

And waited some more

Took between 6 and 10 minutes for a waitress to come along to seat me. She started towards the booths. I hate booths. I want to be able to sit my own distance from the table . Anyone can look at me and tell that sitting me at a booth is not a good idea. I asked for a table.

Got seated, ordered tea to drink. Got the tea in a reasonable time, and was presented a menu.

Decided on the pulled pork plate. Only 1 sauce choice here, and they want to slop it on for me. I ordered the sauce on the side, and my side choices were green beans and cole slaw. The plate comes with hush puppies.

Then I began the REAL wait, the wait for the food. Ten minutes, then twenty. Twenty five minutes. I started to get bored.

Thirty minutes. I started counting tables and counting who was eating and who was not. Five tables eating, nine with no food. A party would get served and you could hear how sorry the waitress was about the wait.

Fourty minutes. Fourty two minutes here comes my order.

The green beans..had some flavor and were ok. I still think probably canned.

The cole slaw...not bad at all slightly sweet, but still had some twang, nice and crunchy slightly creamy.

The hush puppies...pretty good also. Light, good flavor, good taste.

The pulled pork...not so much. Ordered with out sauce because I want to taste the pork. Almost zero flavor at all. I put some salt on it. I could then taste salt. No bark. Really almost completely without flavor.

The sauce was presented as Lexington style. In my opinion, it was very good. Nice blend of flavor, not overwhelming, enough vinegar to give it some twang but not too sweet either.

Overall, I give the place a 6. I would want to try more of the BBQ and sides. I think there should be at least two sauces offered. If it was not for the ridiculous wait and the disappointing pulled pork I would recommend this place. I would probably pass to try a different place rather than return.

Davo-55 screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 03:57 PM
Davo-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #114
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ten minutes to get seated and 45 to get your food? What on your plate actually needed prepared? Something seems amiss...

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Old 06-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #115
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Johnny's Barbecue - Louisburg, NC - 6/15/2013

I've ridden by this place countless times on my way to the off road park I spend a lot of time at in Henderson, but usually on Sunday when they're closed or whatnot. Never had the opportunity to eat here. I know STBNE has been there at least once or twice and really liked it and I think what we look for in a barbecue place overlaps a good bit.

Johnnys Barbecue

(919) 497-5997

8446 Nc 56 Hwy
Louisburg, NC 27549

Intersection of 56 and 401 in Louisburg. The ride there can be as decent as you want or a straight shot from Raleigh.

Decent size place, plenty of good parking.

I ordered a Large Barbecue Plate - with slaw and Brunswick Stew. I think it was about $7.50.

Sauce selection:

I know STBNE likes this place, but I was pretty unimpressed. Friendly people, but the barbecue was pretty bland. In fact, it tasted reheated. Like Dave's place above, it only had the taste of whatever was put on it. I was hoping for a good eastern NC sauce, but it had no flavor other than strong cider vinegar and some heat of some sort. The western style sauce, which I usually avoid unless I'm in the western half of the state, was far more flavorful. Smoky, sweet and spicy. Slathered the barbecue up with it and dove in.
The slaw was sweet utility slaw. I'm getting to the point where I really don't care for sweet slaw that could almost be a desert item. Generic as hell, but not necessarily bad. It just is what it is, but there is a LOT better slaw.
The Brunswick Stew was very good. Good mix of chicken, limas, corn, etc. Very tasty. Seasoned well.

The place was decent size and very clean:

I would definitely go back, but I'd order something else other than the barbecue. They had a lot of specials listed that looked interesting.

Urbanspoon review:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/25/11942...ecue-Louisburg

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Old 06-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #116
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Ten minutes to get seated and 45 to get your food? What on your plate actually needed prepared? Something seems amiss...
Exactly. Pork should already be done. Cole slaw ditto. Green beans also. Only thing I can think of is a fresh batch of hush puppies. That is what, 2 or three minutes in a tub of hot grease? I expected to be eating 10 minutes after I sat down. Don't know what the problem was but I was not the only one waiting.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #117
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
Exactly. Pork should already be done. Cole slaw ditto. Green beans also. Only thing I can think of is a fresh batch of hush puppies. That is what, 2 or three minutes in a tub of hot grease? I expected to be eating 10 minutes after I sat down. Don't know what the problem was but I was not the only one waiting.
I've had reheated hush puppies more times than I'd like to think. And it's a shame. The fresh ones are worlds different than the old ones and can make a big difference as far as I'm concerned.

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #118
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

I'm surprised that you said the Q at Johhnys was reheated and had no taste...because both times I've been a there the Q had a very strong vinegary flavor...and how can you tell I'd something was reheated?...you didn't have the hushpuppies which both times I had then..they had just come out of the fryer... fresh..hot and crispy. Also surprised you said the Cole slaw was generic..i didn't think so...oh well...next place....:p

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #119
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I hesitated even posting that since I knew you really liked the place. The hush puppies were warm-ish and whatever the opposite of crisp is. Mushy?

Cole slaw is just a matter of taste. I don't care for overly sweet, creamy slaw. Lots of folks do.

It was mid-afternoon on a Saturday when I was there. I'll give them another shot, for sure.

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #120
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Hey you tell it like it is...go right at lunch or dinnertime...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2