ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #121
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
Hey you tell it like it is...go right at lunch or dinnertime...
That's when I'd prefer to hit every place, just doesn't work out that way. I've heard your comments on Johnny's enough to want to go back. And out of all the places I've been, there's only one that I wouldn't bother going back to - Danny's. And several folks at work really like it - but mainly for their chicken wings.

In their defense, they did bring me back some wings one day just to "prove" it and they were very good. Shame everything else there sucks...

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #122
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
That's when I'd prefer to hit every place, just doesn't work out that way. I've heard your comments on Johnny's enough to want to go back. And out of all the places I've been, there's only one that I wouldn't bother going back to - Danny's. And several folks at work really like it - but mainly for their chicken wings.

In their defense, they did bring me back some wings one day just to "prove" it and they were very good. Shame everything else there sucks...
well i'm no expert on this...its still a learning process for me..would help if we both were there...but I'm interested in hearing differing points of view...thats how we learn stuff could very well be that I overrated johhny's...and it really isnt as good as i thought...I was lucky both times that i hit the place at dinner hour and everything seemed to be fresh..I waatched the cook bring the hushpuppies out from the fryer to the serving area...no mushy crap...
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #123
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

There are a lot of the more "famous" ones I want to hit when the timing is right. Wilburs in Goldsboro comes to mind. It's just that the ride out there looks like a pretty boring one.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #124
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
There are a lot of the more "famous" ones I want to hit when the timing is right. Wilburs in Goldsboro comes to mind. It's just that the ride out there looks like a pretty boring one.
I've been to Wilbur's...but that was abt 2 yrs ago...dont remember much abt it...except that i did like it...but then I like most everything...
Last week i went to Parkers and was not impressed...while it was edible...it didnt have a very stong vinegar flavor...nothing to write home about.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #125
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I guess we're discovering that timing can be everything at some of these places. I hit Parkers a few years ago while at work and thought it was pretty good. It was right at peak lunch time though.

On the other hand, I'd hate to go to a place that was so boringly consistent as to be, well, you know..., boring. (Think Smithfields).

Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #126
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

I did hit Parker's for lunch so thats a surprise... my impression of them pretty much resembles your impression of Johnny's... and their hushpuppies were heavy but did taste sweet. The Q at Parkers did not have much vinegar in it but there were 2 bottles of vinegar on the table...one was slighty hot but without adding that the Q tasted bland...I once ate at a Smithfields....
Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #127
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
.I once ate at a Smithfields....
Sorry. Wish I could have warned you.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #128
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Sometimes theres no substitute for first hand experience....we went there for fried chicken... and it wasn't that good either

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #129
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Took a ride to Ayden NC today The Skylight Inn BBQ or locally known as Pete Jones...Unique Bldg...

I ordered the medium sized Q platter...comes with a side of slaw and cornbread...no hushpuppies...
The Q is smoked over a wood fire and lightly tasted of vinegar...the pork was very moist and tender...There was a bottle of texas pete and 2 homemade sauces One was just vinegar(I think) and the other was a pickled vinegar hot sauce...that really had a wonderful flavor...I added that one to my Q. This is prolly the best Q I have eaten anywhere in NC. What I find interesting is the flavor of the smoked pork before overpowering it with vinegar...they add just a taste of vinegar and it actually accentuated the smoky flavor. In adding the hot sauce i didnt overdo it...now the Coleslaw was sweet but not overly...and corn bread was very corny ...LOL hard to judge cornbread...it had a heavy texture because it was fried but again good flavor. If you're in the Farmville-Greenville area check them out because they are worth the ride.

STBNE screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 11:51 AM
Old 07-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #130
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Heard good things about that place. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #131
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Took a ride to Ayden NC today The Skylight Inn BBQ or locally known as Pete Jones...Unique Bldg...

I ordered the medium sized Q platter...comes with a side of slaw and cornbread...no hushpuppies...
The Q is smoked over a wood fire and lightly tasted of vinegar...the pork was very moist and tender...There was a bottle of texas pete and 2 homemade sauces One was just vinegar(I think) and the other was a pickled vinegar hot sauce...that really had a wonderful flavor...I added that one to my Q. This is prolly the best Q I have eaten anywhere in NC. What I find interesting is the flavor of the smoked pork before overpowering it with vinegar...they add just a taste of vinegar and it actually accentuated the smoky flavor. In adding the hot sauce i didnt overdo it...now the Coleslaw was sweet but not overly...and corn bread was very corny ...LOL hard to judge cornbread...it had a heavy texture because it was fried but again good flavor. If you're in the Farmville-Greenville area check them out because they are worth the ride.

Looks like great Q!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #132
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Well now...we have a new contender for best eastern style Q..I hope WB will post his pics at Johnson's Family BBQ...Hwy 98 Durham...
What makes this outstanding BBQ is the Hickory Wood Smoked flavor and to that you can add their own vinegar sauce...just enough that it actually accentuates the hickory wood flavor....This flavor is outstanding and as good as more "famous" places... As good if not better than the place in Ayden...to boot...Now thats saying alot...but WB was there with me...so I hope he'll chime in soon...

Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 AM   #133
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Review in a few...
Yes, STBNE, I agree. This place moved into the top tier fast! It's only been open for a little over a year, it seems.

Sorting through pics now.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #134
wb57 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Johnson Family Barbecue - Durham, NC

Been looking for a new place nearby for a while and found this just looking on google maps. It's only about 10-15 miles from the house and I wondered why I had never seen or heard of it before. It's only been open a little more than a year and it shares a building with a gas station/convenience store. Unless you're heading there on purpose, it would be kind of easy to miss.

• 5021 A Wake Forest Hwy
    Durham, NC 27703
  • Phone number (919) 397-5693

They've got a Facebook page (of course):
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johns...57317104358092

From the parking lot -

Looking at the front of the building:

Met Falconz there and STBNE was going to meet us there, but he was a half hour out or so, so we ordered. She and I had had a late breakfast, so we shared a platter with collards, fries and slaw.

Sauces on the table were Texas Pete, Trappey's and their home made sauce. I always prefer the home made sauce as it gives me more of an idea where they're coming from.

The menu:

The inside of the restaurant. There are maybe a half dozen tables. I can see this place getting filled up pretty quickly.

Inside, looking out:

They cook everything on site. Didn't realize until we were pulling out that they have the smokers right outside about 20' from the restaurant. Reviews I've read said they occasionally run out of barbecue and I can see why. Everything is extremely fresh with a lot cooked to order. The barbecue was some of the best I've had - fresh, smoky, moist. The sauce looked to be a lot spicier than it was, but it was very flavorful. Fries were frozen, but seasoned. Greens were just about perfect and I'm not really a fan. The hushpuppies were made to order - not sweet with a hint of onion - just about perfect. And the slaw was homemade. A little on the creamy side for me, but FAR from generic utility slaw. I think the only better slaw I've found was at Allen and Sons a couple years ago.

Decided to get a piece of pie before we left. They had two slices of chocolate chess pie left and she insisted I take both even giving me a two for one deal... Brownies were in the oven. She wasn't going to make any more pudding as it was getting late.

This is a true mom and pop operation that works perfectly. The food tastes like they've been doing it for 50 years. Completely unpretentious and very friendly atmosphere. This is definitely going onto the regular rotation list immediately.

Oh yeah, we didn't try it, but they make their own beef jerky:

Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #135
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

My BBQ sandwich that i ate on the premesis was excellent...cole slaw is homemade and very good...I decided to take home a platter with baked beans and cole slaw as sides...they give you 3 hushpuppies as well...Like i said earlier..the smoked hickory wood flavor really stands out. I shared the platter with my brother who also loved it...so we do have a new kid on the block...so to say...While the ride to there isnt as nice as say going to the BBQ barn in Butner...its still worth the ride... I think the proprietors have a real winner...