Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
+1
Listen To this Wise Man

You wasn't happy until I found your SE for you, & now your wanting to replace it

I am hurt
I do owe you a big favor. The SE is a great bike . . . . what was I thinking!

I will play with a SMT shield and see how that works out for the road . . . which is it's only shortcoming.

I did pick up a second bike to run errands on and for road usage . . . I may have overdone the shield a bit on it

I'm thinking I just need to add to the stable like you do!

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
I must have too much time on my hands . . . .

Now that I'm self Employeed, I catch myself looking & wanting more than before
I've been lusting after another Lightweight Race Weapon
But, ..... My SE (& 690) are Here to Stay
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Grayspeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I assume you are a bit like me. I've owned 42 or 44 bikes, I forget exactly how many, but I'm always looking for something different, not necessarily better, just different. Right at the moment, the 950 SM and the Ducati S4 are doing it for me. I/we almost pulled the trigger on a Diesel Branded 1100 Monster last weekend, my wife wanted it, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought my S4 was more bike, more power, Ohlins, Race Tech forks, a little bit of an oil leak, stiff clutch, stiff throttle etc. So there is a hold on that for now.

Also, right now, I'm kind of wanting an old SR500, I've owned 2 of them over the years, and I'm thinking I wouldn't mind having another. And maybe another dirt bike, although I just traded off a YZ450F a little while back, maybe a 300 KTM 2 stroke.

It will never end, and I think I'm lucky my wife is a bit understanding about these things. After all, it could be a cocaine, or alcohol, or weed, or antique car, or pretty much any other expensive habit. But it isn't. And I'm not buying new, $25,000 bikes, I'm buying used, $6000 bikes.
I love the last paragraph, It's not just me then... I was so lucky to find an understanding wife as well. Mine's a diamond! I think that she realises I'll never leave her but I will go on changing bikes on a regular basis for ever, or as long as I can afford it.
Grayspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

You are a lucky man to have a wife that understands motorcycle addictions. I was averaging swapping 3 bikes a year for the last 10 years (empty nest syndrome). It took my mind off the day-to-day work politics . . . Which I am not good at . . . Which is why I sold all my bikes but the SE and paid off all my bills and retired at 58.

Now, I am 60 and I have found ways to manipulate my IRA to free up some extra cash for addional bikes etc.

The main concern my wife had with all the bikes were the after market accessories it took to make each bike fit my needs. After each bike my wife would say: "Let the love fest begin"

Now, I am back thinking about all the different bikes out there . . . I can't remember why I sold many of them. I like dual sport/adventure bikes the best.

My buddy's wife knows me well . . . . She said "I never met a motorcycle I didn't like".

Anyways . . . Been married for over 37 years . . . So far!

Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
AirDale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Ok gentlemen, I've been lurking for a few years and have decided to make a post. I have been researching the 950/990 Adventure and thought that might be the next bike for me. I currently ride a street legal YZ450F. I came across a nice looking 2008 950SE and am thinking that might be a better choice than the Adventure.

Can someone tell me what the differences are from the Super Enduro to the Adventure? I have done some reading on the subject on this forum and know the basics. I haven't ridden either of them and don't know why I should consider one over the other. The Super Enduro I've found comes with a custom mounted Cee Bailey windscreen on it so would the wind protection be similiar? I like the idea of a lighter more dirt capable bike. I have been riding dirt and racing Motocross for 35 years.

Thanks
AirDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

Very simple: The Adventure is a better road bike & and the SE is better off road. If you plan on taking long trips, get the ADV, short trips . . . Get the SE. You can't go wrong with either bike.

The SE requires additional fuel capacity as a road bike. The 7.9g Safari tank will take care of that issue. I chose a rear aux. tank because I like the ease of removing the stock tank verse the Safari.

The adventure has more room for two up riding. I would look for an "S" Adv due to better suspension. The standard Adv rear suspension is somewhat soft for me. I had to have the rear on its max setting ('06 Adv),

Yes, a taller windshield will improve road ability . . . I have a 690SM touring shield on mine which works great on the road for under 200 mile trips.

I may try a Versys Madstad adjustable bracket with taller screen . . . Which will give me many alternatives.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/madst...rsys-650-07-09

mcmann screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 04:54 AM
Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #22
AirDale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Is it mainly because of the wind protection, if the SE has comprable wind protection could it be similiar at its on road capabilities?
AirDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
I guess the perfect bike is different for each rider.

For the last two years, my SE with two sets of wheels has been perfect for me (w/aux. tank). Before the SE was a 950A (w/two sets of wheels).

Now, I am thinking about something different. Not sure why I can't be happy with what I have? Maybe it is human nature.

Every time I ride my SE . . . . I think "Dangggggggg" unbelievable power and handling. Then, I get home and I start thinking of other options out there.

I guess I am just a Dumb@SS?

1.7 gallon aux. gas tank:

13,000 feet is a breeze on the SE (w/luggage):

With that awesome setup... Yeah you're a dumbass.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #24
mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

Yep, my wife agrees.

My best investment was my Woody Wheels:

It made my other bikes feel like turds:

I do miss my ST1100 . . . For long trips . . . Especially when it rained so I did not have to mess with a chain:

mcmann screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 01:16 PM
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
jsantos58
jsantos58

Oddometer: 228
McMann - your opinion!

How did you like your SE with the smaller wheels? Height, maneuverability? comfort? I have been wanting an SE but, my short 5'10 stature, I think would be a challenge for me. But, with the moto wheels, it might work for me.

Please let me know you liked the woody's wheel set up.
js
jsantos58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

My wheels were the 19" X 17" Canyon set which did lower it nicely . . . Plus, I backed off the rear spring tension and dropped the forks in the triple clamps for an addional 1" to lower the hight. I have no trouble at 5' 11" (31"/32" inseam). The bike is rock steady with either wheel set up at any speed (even without hands if you are nuts). It is light on the front with power wheelies at will in 2nd . . .
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=8sdP1...%3D8sdP1TW54e0

Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #27
jsantos58
jsantos58

Oddometer: 228
Awsome Bike

If you decide to sell it, anytime soon, when you get the itch for something different, send me a PM. Thanks for the comments on the wheel size, safe riding
Joe
jsantos58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,481
Wind protection

'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #29
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Wind protection

X2 - I think this may be the answer - maybe add a stabilizer and you have an SE that will do 500 mile hwy days and when you get there you can ride the tough trails. This is the bike that Ktm should selling now. This sweet Swedish fairing is certainly well built, weighs very little (6.5lbs) and is frame mounted.

Raid designs makes it - no affiliation.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Wind protection

X2 - I think this may be the answer - maybe add a stabilizer and you have an SE that will do 500 mile hwy days and when you get there you can ride the tough trails. This is the bike that Ktm should selling now. This sweet Swedish fairing is certainly well built, weighs very little (6.5lbs) and is frame mounted.

www.raiddesigns.com

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote