ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Uller OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
A Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade -- How-To

After having one of the OEM type Rectifier/Regulators (R/R) go out on my 690 and having it both screw up a trip and a perfectly good (brand new) battery; I decided to upgrade my R/R on the 950 to a Shindengen FHO20AA, as sold by Roadstercycle, just like I had previously done on my 690.

I have over 6,000 mi. now with this type of R/R and wiring setup and a Ballistic Battery 8 cell on my 690. It is working well.

I plan to run a 12 cell Ballistic on my 950.

I got the "FH020AA Mosfet R/R only" at the bottom of the page.
http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%...rade%20kit.htm

I don't really like how the factory wiring harness is constructed on the KTM and take every opportunity to modify it. (I'll show why later) So, this install might not be for you. If so, AdvGa has a great How-To Here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=mosfet

I decided to wire mine differently than the typical kit from Roadstercycle allows and purchased connectors and a fuse from another vendor. I use Eastern Beaver for my electrical connectors.

Furukawa QLW .250" Connectors for FH012, FH011, FH010, FH009 http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html

and a fuseholder (Metri-Pack 630 30A Fuseholder for ATF/ATO Type Full Size Blade Fuses)
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...seholders.html

If you look at the wiring system of the 950/990 the charge current goes from the Stator through an unsealed connector which gets dirty, corroded and has failed on many people over the years.

To the OEM R/R and then throught another unsealed connector into a hand made joining of wires in a soldered connection (that isn't really sealed at all), to the Starter Relay through a sealed connector, to your battery.

This is a closeup of the inside of the soldered connection. It is corroding. All charge current runs through this....

I am simplifying the wiring system and running directly from my R/R to the battery. I took a lot of pictures. (We like pictures, Right?)

I cut off the connector. You don't need it anymore.

What you can see here is that you have two positive wires from the connector to the group of wires which run up to the ignition switch and other locations up top. There is no issue removing the charging current from the R/R from this joint. Everything is still connected as it should through the Starter Relay

To disassemble the connector, remove this plastic clip with a very small flat blade screwdriver. Then look at the end of the connector. There are little grooves in it that allow you to push a tab on the terminal and remove it cleanly from the connector to disassemble it.

Cut the two leads to the connector from the joint.

This is what is coming from above now. Make sure you remember which wires go where....

Another closeup of the corrosion in the factory junction.

Measuring the wires prior to cutting to length.

Here is my stand for soldering.

Measure twice (or three times) and cut once, Right?

Ready for soldering. The gloves are to not get oils from my hand in the wires. That doesn't help things.

All soldered, with waterproof shrinkwrap ready to go.

Here is the connector to the starter relay all finished with more shrinkwrap.

Next is the Fuse Block. The way this fuse holder works is to send the wire through and then crimp on the connector. I solder the joints after crimped for a solid connection.

I didn't take a lot of pictures of the positive side. Basically, one side of this gets a ring terminal and connects directly to the battery. The other side runs into the Furukawa Connector to the R/R and is crimped and soldered. You can see it in pics later.
Here again is the unsealed connector from the stator. Cut it off. We are installing the R/R in the original location and don't even need to add wire. A very clean install if you ask me.

I pulled down the wire sheath to measure the wires and cut the sheath. Because we are mounting in the oringinal location we don't need to extend the wires from the stator and can make a clean, sealed connection.

Everything cut, with the sealing rings on.

I crimped the terminals onto the wires and soldered the ends. Then inserted into the Furkawa connector. The order of these wires in the connector isn't important. They each do the same thing.
Here it is inserted into the R/R.

The R/R outlet wires fitted to the R/R on original mounting location. I used 12 Ga. wire and put regular shrinkwrap over it to aid in abrasion resistance. The R/R unit has a red and green dot on it to differentiate positive from negative. The positive wire to red and negative to green. So, the fused section from above is inserted into the red side of the black connector below and the wire to the negative terminal of the battery goes to the green side.

Here are my fuse holders simply attached to the top of the battery box. I can easily pull them out of the zip tie if needed and securely reinstall. The top one is the R/R. Bottom L is my Lighting circuit and Bottom R is the Cigarrette plug/Battery pigtale.

Here is the Starter Relay side. It is cleaner. No ground connection. No open connectors. Less wires.

I did come into a little issue while installing the fuel tank. The fuel shutoff and hose interfere with the connector to the battery (the black one). I like where it is installed and don't want to change it. So I found a simple solution of rotating the R/R on the same mount.

Remove the captured nut and drill a hole of the appropriate size in this approx. location. I did contemplate remounting the captured nut down there but the bracket narrows not allowing for sufficient material.

I just reuse the same nut without the holder. It is the outside one and can easily be accessed.

All finished.

Please ask if I wasn't clear on something.

Uller screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 02:43 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
This is on my list of things to do over the winter too. I haven't had any problems with the RR yet.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,963
Nice job. Very well done. Thank you.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 811
Nice

Just did this to my XRR and will do it to the SE sooner than later. Great photo how to
dogsslober is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,530
I did a similar thing on my 690 E. The 950 project is going to get this upgrade as well.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Question 'lectrics...

I'm always removing extra wire & relays, poor connections and trying to tidy things up on all my motorcycles- the Achilles Heal of many bikes and MOST KTMs is the crap electrics...

most of the electrics' relays, switches & ECUs are made by Nippon Denso but (I think) the wiring harnesses are made as an afterthought (I've seen the loom "mock up" jigs KTM uses). Worse even is KTM's choice of the fewest strands of copper possible with the least insulation on each wire... like the crap Harbor Freight sells.

thanks for sharing the numerous pics, but I must ask-

Why oh why didn't you move the reg/rect somewhere with more airflow? Seems that would be on top of the "to do" lists of Adventure riders with it buried behind bodywork & skidplate...
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Uller OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the compliments all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
but I must ask-

Why oh why didn't you move the reg/rect somewhere with more airflow? Seems that would be on top of the "to do" lists of Adventure riders with it buried behind bodywork & skidplate...
Well, there are a few reasons for "why I didn't"

1. This style of R/R works better and runs cooler. Heat isn't as much of an issue for it.
2. The mounting location on the Adventure isn't too concealed to restrict airflow around it. It is in front of the engine so heat from that doesn't affect it. My concern with the original location is more due the elements, i.e, mud, sand and water, mixed with it's unsealed connectors and solder joints.
3. I decided that if I were to relocate the R/R, it wasn't the only thing I would be relocating. I would also move the battery, starter relay, and the rest of the electronics down there. The only place which has enough space for all that is the storage compartment and a) I use it for tools and b) would really like to wait until I get into fiberglass/carbon fiber fabrication to make something custom for this.
4. Only other available locations are behind the air box and that area is extremely hot. Or, behind the headlight, but, I have a shortage of room with the HID Ballasts.
5. I plan on getting a G-IT Skid Plate which has vents at the R/R location to aid in airflow.

Is that enough? I guess, short point is, I looked and didn't see an alternative that didn't, itself, pose it's own issues.

Uller screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 03:49 PM
Old 10-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Hi Uller, great write-up and great job. Just want to ask a noob question.....did you just keep the stator wires in the same order when you put on the new plug and does it matter. Cheers from Oz, Glenn.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Have you tried the bike?
do you have a voltmeter?
how does it works?
thanks!
nice install AND write up
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Uller OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRulz View Post
Hi Uller, great write-up and great job. Just want to ask a noob question.....did you just keep the stator wires in the same order when you put on the new plug and does it matter. Cheers from Oz, Glenn.
The order of the stator wires does not matter. I'll add it to the descripetion above. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Uller OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZERO View Post
Have you tried the bike?
do you have a voltmeter?
how does it works?
thanks!
nice install AND write up
Yes, I have.
Yes, I do.
Very Well.
You're welcome.
Thanks!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Has anyone tried Ricks?
http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics....BlckVuZHVybw==

Plug and play if the picture is real...
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #13
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Nice job Uller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
Has anyone tried Ricks?
http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics....BlckVuZHVybw==

Plug and play if the picture is real...
It's more expensive, it keeps the shitty stock connector, it's not the same quality (somebody has had a failure already),.... Sometimes making the extra effort is worth it over plug and play, this is the case here IMO.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Yes. Chinese crap, no-name - or "Hot Shot" (tells you it's Chinese) - and the unsealed stock connector.
The standard - for good reason, tried and tested - for regulator rectifier upgrades is SHINDENGEN FH (MOSFET type). That is what you would find with google - SHINDENGEN FHxxx - for Triumph, Ducati, Honda, and so on.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
bloc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Is your crank case breather hose just bent back temporarily while you do work on the bike, or do you have something else going on back there?

Nice work.. will definitely be looking at doing this in the future.
bloc is offline   Reply With Quote