User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Barry Sheen Trans Tasman Challenge

Well the Aussies came over for a weekend of racing at Hampton Downs....
I didn't take many photos for reasons that will become obvious.....
Saturday: Fine weather and I managed to shave 5 seconds off my February times...down to 1.27 in qualifying.
Then the clutch started to slip on the last lap.....

Mein Gott Ich Habe Triumph disease....from that 'Team Winstone"

Whipped the tranny out and flywheel off...... looks ok...and according to Max BMW Guru they rarely fail....
even ran the motor to watch the flywheel go around....

Traced it to the friggin' breather.....theory is at sustained high revs the oil built up in the hose and drained out the rather poor silicon seal done earlier...
Max found a rusty old clutch plate that measured up and we were back in business ( yes we replaced the flywheel bolts )

Team Winstone relaxing by the pool....
Did one race in the rain and it was rather yuk....

" always look on the bright side of life...whistle...."
Meet was cancelled so I went home....stuff sleeping in a wet van eating beans and drinking warm beer....
the internet says its going to be ok tomorrow.....looking out the window would suggest otherwise.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 521
Question

Huge pity, the weather. High quality field and it was miserable spectating, so it must have been hell on the track. Sure didn't look like a lot of fun.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today is looking better.....how's old Yello and its rider?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Bendernz
Torrential

Had to cull the bike collection to one as I moved to an apartment. Sold the CB, guy picked it up midwinter, huge freezing storm, desert road closed the whole nine yards. Took it over to Parnell on the trailer for the guy and conditions were soo bad you couldn't see. Some lunatic lost control on Parnell Rise and spun out, missed taking out the trailer by an inch.

So slim shady slings his long rangy leg over the Yello, fires it up and rides it non stop to Wellington.

Took him all day.

I miss it like crazy. Well, I miss riding it all round the back roads of Paremoremo, Riverhead and Coatesville. I don't miss having to rebuild it all the time - number of engine rebuilds in those two years - 8.

I had a lot of fun on it, for sure, but with rebuilding of vehicles banned in the apartment block carpark, I chose to keep the good old reliable Tedium.

Good luck at Hampton today.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,976
Live video streaming

Follow the link. Lap timing here

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

My kids have used up my broadband will have to look at work...cheers
Today was better.
Managed to improve my ranking....the Harley 1000 was much the same power wise but I could get past in a couple of corners.....this was not one of them.

The long sweeper is where I got past but you get this when you are not a hanger offer type.....
and thats with the engine raised and longer shocks....

There were three BMW there is various states of tune.

# 4 has had lots of engine and frame mods, Moto Trans Israel bits, R80 mono front, brakes, bracing etc....
# 269 is owned and raced by Kane Veltman who owns a BMW business, 1050 I think with reangled inlet ports, 40mm Dells, bracing, R65 forks, 2.91 FD.....he says its under geared.....
I was happy with the weekend as I knocked 5 seconds off my Feb lap times.
Next stop.....Manfield on 17/18th
Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
So apart from the oil spills & clutch did it go well? Was the lap times better due to the bike or the rider? How did Winston get on? Where was Trustme in all this? Did you talk to Barry Sheene? How many races did yiou race in? How many bikes were in your class? Were any Aussies?

Jeez if you want a good write up yiou just about have to write it ourself these days....

Well I may have to put my reporters hat on & come over to Manfield in a few weeks -someone has to let the world know what's going on - could be a conspiracy to uncover.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Bendernz
Torrential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I knocked 5 seconds off my Feb lap times.
Next stop.....Manfield on 17/18th
Probably the significant weight reduction from grinding the cylinder head. Try doing the other side at Manfield.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Team Winston went OK. Winston only really came together on Friday so Sat was spent sorting jetting , plugs & a sticky float in the rh carb. Sunday & the first race was wet , then got red flagged due to a crash, at the restart it was absolutely pissing down & I could not see a thing so I pulled out.We were supposed to go out for a second race but racing was suspended amidst thunder & lightening, bugger that I wasnt going out anyway.
Today & it was all good , bike ran well but is still way down on power. All in all I am a happy camper.
Nipper has consumed my broadband as well & I am off to work , will post up pics later

T
trustme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
So apart from the oil spills & clutch did it go well? Was the lap times better due to the bike or the rider? How did Winston get on? Where was Trustme in all this? Did you talk to Barry Sheene? How many races did yiou race in? How many bikes were in your class? Were any Aussies?

Jeez if you want a good write up yiou just about have to write it ourself these days....

Well I may have to put my reporters hat on & come over to Manfield in a few weeks -someone has to let the world know what's going on - could be a conspiracy to uncover.
The R90 performed very well but lacks the power of the top 10 bikes. What it lacks in power it makes up for in cornering....its a very stable well behaved ride.
Winstone needed some jetting and plug fettling but today seemed to running well.
Barry Sheen was not around to chat to due to a previous engagement.....
The field we run in is made up of Post Classic 500cc and over, and we are mixed in with Pre 63 open modified....Vincents, modified Nortons, BSA's and Triumphs.
The Vincent was smacked into a wall and rider broke his arm and nose...
Money may not buy you love but it can buy horse power and there are some pretty expensive bits of kit out there.
I saw for the first time today a road registered Brittan on the track parade...$$$$$$$
Lots of Aussies but mostly Japanese bikes from the 70's and 80's. Lots of sidecars, modern and Classic....good to watch.
Mike Pero was out of retirement and looks just like on the tele..... on a TZ 350 or summit....dunno my Jap racers.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,976
Jo Veltman posting on facebook re the live streaming, but unfortunately too late in the weekend for me to see your race.

Robbie Phyllis looked quick on that Katana...I remember watching him (on a Kawasaki) in the Superbikes at Manfield back in the day

I was supposed to be going back to work - so it was a good reason not too (go back that is).

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Volty having an identity crisis. no wonder Herman got an oil leak

Up & running in practice

Sunday & it rained

Then it really rained

I'm singing in the rain

The photographer goes arty farty

Team Winston, corny or what

Photos are mostly by the nipper
trustme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great Pics.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
That is a great photo essay. Pass on my appreciation to the photohog.

I shouldn't really say this with the war & everything but Winston is a very nice looking bike, you've done a great job with him.

That guy on no.1 has sure got a lean on.

Now tell me, is there a rift between old triumph owners & new triumph owners? ie I've read a couple of comments from grumpy old men re the weight of the new bonnies vs the old ones etc but wondering if it was widespread amongst the Triumph community.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #15
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Not sure why # 1 was there as he is on a pre 63 Manx Norton....you can see why they dominated until the Italians came along with their fancy pants 4's.

As for the new Vs old Triumphs.....yep Grumpy old men with " it was better in my day......"