ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
shotty_co OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
950 quit on me today

Cruising along on slab, bike is running great then a gradual loss of power and the motor cuts out. I coast to a stop and the bike is dead. I turn off the switch, turn it back on put the bike in neutral and attempt to restart it. The bike cranks just fine but doesn't fire. I tried this twice and it feels like the bike wants to start. I wait a minute try it again and with some gentle throttle input, the bike starts no problem. The idle is somewhat erratic but only varying between 1400 and 1900 Rpm max. ( it did this prior) to this event. I cut my plans short and rode it for another 30 minutes back home. I had zero warning to this event and 3 weeks prior ran the bike up to The Black Hills from Colorado on a 1200 mile loop and the bike ran great. Any ideas? Fuel pump? Filter?
shotty_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
What make... model and year is it?

950 Adventure doesn't have the in tank filters. Both the Adventure and SE have spotty fuel pump contacts... Which give this type of issue... Newer 990's have in tank screens that can plug up from ethanol decay and such... 990's have the same fuel pump points problem.

If not fuel/ pump related... On electrical side, it could be bad connection at the ignition switch, or the relay ( below the motor near the fuel pump on Adv.). VR/R is slightly different issue... Kills battery first.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
airwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Don't rule out some partially severed cables around the head stock...this happened to my 950 which caused it to die and then come back to life inexplicably only to recur at a later date. Do report back on your findings...
airwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
BK575
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Air, fuel and spark....air you can most likely rule out. Spark is possible but I would first look to see if you have a fuel delivery issue. If the bike suddenly stopped running, some amount of time passed and you got it fired again, my first guess would be fuel pump. Especially if it is stock. Below explains the root issue:

Stock Fuel Pump issue

The stock pump works intermittently until it ultimately fails. Basically the same situation happened to me about a month ago, I limped it home.

Good Luck!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
shotty_co OP
Adventurer

It's a 2005.5 950 adventure S, I'm the 4th owner and it just turned over 30k miles. I need to go through old service docs because I don't think it's the stock fuel pump
Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
It's the fuel pump, 99% certain.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
It's the fuel pump, 99% certain.

This. Take some sandpaper to the points and it'll probably get you going again for a little while.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:43 AM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
This. Take some sandpaper to the points and it'll probably get you going again for a little while.
Yep. Points on the pump fail at about 30K miles. It's the most likely culprit. You have a few options.

Facet
I converted to the Facet 40171 electronic pump years ago. It's a good option. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315948

Dr. Bean
The Dr. Bean fix was not available when I switched to the Facet. I would have gone this route. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823347

New Points
Also, replacement points are available today, so that's another option. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772175

New Pump
. . . is just too expensive.

Other . . .
There was also a solution of first replacing the points and then adding a diode/resistor or something to lower the voltage going to the points to make them last longer.

Frankly, I think the Dr. Bean solution is probably the simplest solution out there, and you retain the advantages of that very simple and darn reliable stock pump.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
BK575
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotty_co View Post
It's a 2005.5 950 adventure S, I'm the 4th owner and it just turned over 30k miles. I need to go through old service docs because I don't think it's the stock fuel pump
If by chance it repeats and shuts down, immediately shut the key off (even when rolling down the road). Wait until traffic passes and it's quiet. Turn the key on and see if hear the fuel pump. If you don't, clear case of the fuel pump. Also if it is an aftermarket unit most likely there is a fuel filter, check that to ensure it is not clogged.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #10
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,120
If it turns out to be pump (most likely).

Dr bean is the way to go.

Had issue on the 950 at about 50 000 km but since point were evenly worn I was cheap and went with a mosfet solution limiting current and reduces wear on points.

Stock points still going strong at 70000+ km but its like its not able to feed fuel fast enough anymore extended full throttle riding it looses one cylinder so its good for me =)

On my dads 950 with a little more then 30 000 points were crookedly worn:

So Dr bean was installed.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
shotty_co OP
Adventurer

Thanks for everyone's input! I'll start digging in and report back when we're back on the trail
Old 09-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,705
My 950 did exactly the same thing, and it was the pump points. I elected to go with the Dr Bean fix and was very happy with the quality of his kit and instructions, as well as the reasonable price and quick shipping. Installation requires a little bit of soldering IIRC (I think he even included a little bit of solder), but is otherwise straightforward.

I like the Bean solution as it addresses the only real fault of the factory pump. Some Facet users have reported problems with over pressuring the floats and flooding, and there have been some reports of insufficient fuel delivery with the vacuum operated pumps at sustained high speeds when vacuum signal is low and fuel demand is high.

Were I redesigning the system myself I would want the vacuum pump feeding a gravity tank located where the glovebox is. The gravity tank could operate as a surge tank and might eliminate the low delivery problem as well as address any concerns with overpowering the float valves and flooding.

But for now I'm content to just ride the bike as the Bean fix is working perfectly.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #13
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Oddometer: 665
Had same problem at the beginning of the season. Bad fuel pump contacts was the issue. Installed a Facet pump. Runs better now than it ever did.

KTM 950 ADVENTURE MUSCLE BIKE

XR650L WITH THE ARMY BOXES...R.I.P.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640254

JUNAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
I elected to go with the Dr Bean fix

20K miles so far on the Dr Bean kit ... No problems
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
shotty_co OP
Adventurer

It was the pump, points are worn, dug through the parts bin with stuff that came with my bike when I bought it and found an extra pump in fine shape! So that's on there now, i might take the old one have have the conversion done. Thanks for all the chimed in.