Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
FYI: They won't certify you for a BBG on your first IBA ride. From the IBA site:

Quote:
WARNING: Before you can apply for Bun Burner Gold certification (1,500+ miles in 24 hours), you must have at least completed one of the following; a SaddleSore 1000, a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours), a SaddleSore 2000 (or other similiar IBA ride), the Alberta 2000, Minnesota 1000, TimberButt, Tarbutt Rally, Utah 1088, any Cognoscente Group event, any MERA event, or the Iron Butt Rally. IMPORTANT NOTE: Other 24 and 36 hour rallies qualify. Their omission here is not intentional, it is just not possible to list all qualifying rallies. If you are unsure if a rally you finished is acceptable, please contact info@ironbutt.com.
As noted, doing 1,000 miles on interstates in a day is relatively easy. JMHO but planning gas stops ahead of time isn't really necessary in the US. All that does is add mental stress to the ride. Just get out and ride. I've found that doing some stretching exercises for a minute or two at every other gas stop is helpful to keep you relaxed and your blood flowing.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,396
1. Some compression shorts like bicyclists wear add a decent amount of comfort.

2. Number your receipts to keep them in order more easily.

3. Tolls. Stick your toll ticket in a baggy with a bunch of change and singles. Just pass the whole baggy to the toll collector instead of fumbling with stuff.

4. Arrange your route so as not to ride into the sun, if you can.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Ancient1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thoughts

I did my ride on July 1 for lots of daylight. I started at 4:00 p.m. Rode 5 hours, slept 5 hours and finished easily the next day. Cramps can be an issue, so I ate bananas for potassium before and during the ride. Standing occasionally is good advice.
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
duck
Banned

I did my SS1K on December 13, 2003 from San Diego to Seattle on a bike that had 180,000 miles on it. When I reached the Oregon border it grew dark and began raining cats and dogs - which eventually turned into wet snow for quite a ways on I-5 which slowed my speed due to very poor visibility riding in the snow at night. By the time I reached northern Oregon I was completely soaked through several layers so I stopped at truck stop bar to have some dinner and a couple of beers while I dried off for a while. By that time I'd just about reached the 1,000 mark but I decided to ride the additional 200+ miles to home in Seattle. 1,200+ miles in less than 21 hours.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
LngRidr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
"Sit here, twist that"

Jon Kohler
sent from my iPhone
IBA# 24562
LngRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
Monsignore OP
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Think hard about the Atlanta traffic.

I have. I live in NYC, so sucky traffic ain't new, but that thought has passed through my thick skull several times. At the same time, it is a (somewhat) known quantity versus the traverse from I-20 to I-75 being an unknown quantity.

But yes, Atlanta traffic is one of the reasons I violently shake my head when my step-Dad half-jokingly suggests we move to Atlanta.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,107
When I did my saddlesore I had the same plan as you. I did a SS1000 and then had a sleep in a motel and then rode another 500 for a BB1500.

You need to decide on your route and whether or not the out and back or the straight line out 750 back 250 (motel) and then 500 home is a better plan for you.The 500 out and 500 back works.

I have organized a bunch of welcome to the IBA rides and I have found that most riders need guidance on their first ride and you are doing all the right things. With good time management and no road drama an 18-19 hour ride is obtainable in a safe and orderly fashion. You want to be off the road as soon as possible because every extra mile is another minute of riding over a longer period of time.

The GS has I would guess a 200 mile range so you will likely have a fuel stop at 200, 400, 600, and 800 miles. that is four stops. I know the best I can hope for from getting off the highway to getting back on the highway and back up to speed is going to be 15 minutes or less. That is an hour of your ride. Averaging on your GPS overall average speed of 57.5 will get you finished in under 20 hours. This explains the value of fuel cells in the IBR. They give the riders more time to sleep.

You have been given some good advice on this thread so let me give you my ideas from the IBA rides I completed.

Be comfortable (LD comfort long johns will make your ride better)

If you have a stock seat think about an air-hawk.Seriously, the idea of making your dangly bits go numb is really bad.

If you like doing these types of rides you will be farkling your bike and a custom seat will be on the list.

GPS - it will help you because you can watch your average speed and time till destination.

Ride intelligence.

You can get your witness paperwork done the night before. Then keep that paperwork at home - less to lose. Take two copies of the ending witness report.
Sometimes people have trouble witnessing paperwork for a stranger. I always ask for someone to verify my odometer for a motorcycle ride I am on. That works way better.

The IBA is fine with that. Find a gas station with really good highway access and start your ride there. Go there beforehand and buy gas and get receipt make sure it is a good receipt,nice and clear with all the data and the correct time.

When you start your ride go the the predetermined gas station, have a pee, get your self all set up. helmet, ear plugs everything, take a photo of your bike at the gas pump (you will enjoy this photo later) and take a photo of your odometer .

Zero your GPS all functions and the bike trip meter.
Then buy your gas, check the receipt, write your mileage on it and put it in a zip lock in something heavier with the pen and pad, lock this in your saddlebag. Zero your GPS all functions and the bike trip meter

Start your bike and be up to highway speed in just minutes. The most important leg is your first tankful. It is very hard to get one's average speed up on subsequent legs, it will continue to fall.

I drink boost at gas stops, drink a lot of water, some riders can use a camel back, some put a hydration system in the tank bag (my method)

I buy the amount of water i need and carry the water with me, then I am not tempted by the gas station stuff and i drink the same water the whole trip.

At a stop I can gas up, fill the water bag, and have something to eat (boost) or those packs of chicken meat in water not brine while I tank up. I eat cheese, dried fruit and sour candies on the road. Tank bag lunches, this is another reason the paperwork needs to be in a place it can't be lost from

This is your first longish ride and people mess up, make a little checklist to check that the stuff on the gas receipt is all there.

Book your hotel where you are going to be finished your ride, find one that is just off the highway by a 24 hour restaurant that you can walk to and that your exit has a manned 24 hour gas station in case the final receipt messes up.

Take a flat tire kit and a cyclepump

Bring your electric gear, rain gear and at least two spare pair of gloves.

Figure out whether you want to finish your ride in the dark or start it in the dark. My sleep cycle allows me to start rides just after 2am and I love riding into daybreak.

If you don't feel up to the ride the day you have planned it for just defer. The ride is never as important as your personal safety.

Carry wet wipes

Shit will happen on the ride that you didn't plan for deal with it it makes a better story when the ride is over.

Ending witness sign up on ldrider when you want a witness a few weeks out send a post out and tell people it is your first ride and that you need an ending witness, a few people will likely offer

There is also a witness list

http://www.saddlesore.com/witness/witness.htm

ride safe and write a ride report
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 310 View Post
When I did my saddlesore I had the same plan as you. I did a SS1000 and then had a sleep in a motel and then rode another 500 for a BB1500.

[snip]

getting off the highway to getting back on the highway and back up to speed is going to be 15 minutes or less. That is an hour of your ride.

[snip]
same here for my first SS & BB, kinda similar route as OP but beginnng further north in NH, from Concord, NH RT 9 & I-88 to Binghamton, then 81 & 77 to Columbia to finish the SS, from there 26 & 95 to Port ST Lucie, FL to complete the BB. I did the ride in beginning of May, I encountered black ice frost & carb icing in beginning of ride, cold rain for 700 miles. never turned off my heated gear till I crossed from GA to FL. Very foggy & slow from Fancy Gap coming out of the mountains on 77

I will second the 15minute/fuel stop plan. never takes 15 minutes at the stop, but there is 15 minutes "off pace"

when I planned my first BBG, I figured 8 fuel stops for my V-strom 1000 and an hour buffer, total distance, 1546 miles in 21 hours = 73.6mph pace.

when completed, my time was 23:05, never went over 82mph but had to keep my GPS speedo in the 78-80 mph range the whole trip to maintain the 73.6 average

I also did 10 hour 725 mile "training" ride a few weeks prior to my BBG to double check my anticipated fuel economy and ability to maintain pace (not necessary for a SS thought)
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
Monsignore OP
Plunger Boy

Bill 310 & randyO, great advice.

There is a gas station .9 mi from my apartment that I always use. I'll have to check their receipts next time, but there are two other stations closer (one is a full-$erve only, which I never u$e).

There is a country gas station about a mile from my mother's house (my destination). I'll ask her to check the receipts there; otherwise, I'd have to rely on an Exxon-Mobil a few miles from her place.

I'm planning a straight-thru ride. The basic route (link) is 1,012 miles. I can tweak it a bit to 1,048, but that means Atlanta traffic combat.

I have a Sargent saddle, thanks to the previous owner, which I'll supplement with an Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad. I also have an Aeroflow Sport windscreen.

I'm shopping around for a tank bag (looking at the Famsa 260/7), which I plan to stock with Clif bars and maybe those Laughing Cow BabyBel cheeses and stuff. And Hydration pack shopping will happen this week.

Also, to shorten the pit stops I will be using the good ol' Stadium Pal.

I don't have a GPS. If I was taking a more convoluted route, I would seriously consider it.

IBA # 55612
Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
Monsignore OP
Plunger Boy

Also, here's a brain-dump list I made back in February while either sitting on the subway or on the toilet (often aromatically indistinguishable).

• New rear brake rotor
  • tank bag
  • hydration system
  • stadium pal
  • oil change
  • TBsynch
  • valve adjustment
  • IronButt paperwork
  • PTO paperwork
  • Tires
  • Return trip
  • Music
  • On-bike charger for iPod/iPhone
  • SPOT tracker
  • Maps

The brake rotor is in the closet waiting for a nice day when I'll replace it and change the FD fluid.

Tires should be fine.

SPOT tracker is probably not necessary since I won't be out of cell range on my route.

I've never piped music into my helmet on the bike before. I bought a used set of Chatterboxes from an Inmate, so I'll do some experimentation before the trip. That also means I'll have to figure out how to charge my audio device, where to keep it, and what to listen to (Wagner's Ring Cycle is 14+ hours long).

The return trip will be several stops visiting friends on the way back home.

IBA # 55612
Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #26
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Stadium Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
Have you seen David Sedaris' bit on the Stadium Pal?...http://youtu.be/ejEcOMqBvpY

Let us know how you do with this lovely accessory.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
duck
Banned

And if you need a Stadium Pal to do 1,000 miles in a day then you should definitely see a doctor ASAP since you've got major bladder control problems.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #28
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:

I'm planning a straight-thru ride. The basic route (link) is 1,012 miles. I can tweak it a bit to 1,048, but that means Atlanta traffic combat.
Go for the longer route. It's always good to have some margin of error to make sure the IBA approves your ride. Cutting it close too 1000 could result in their verification methods not agreeing that you made the full 1000.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #29
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:

you really need to document ALL your deviation corners on that one, you may have to make extra stops just for documentation

Google maps has the total distance at only 985 miles by shortest route

I would recommend the Atlanta route, I would leave NYC & about 2am, that will put you in Atlanta about 9:00pm (5:30 pm Charlotte, NC/commuter time if ya do it on a weekday)
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,107
Quote:
Bill 310 & randyO, great advice.

I don't have a GPS. If I was taking a more convoluted route, I would seriously consider it.
I would pass on the stadium pal. Really. Never underestimate the value of getting off the bike to refresh, take a leak and walk about a bit. Wash your hands and face when you are in the can. it will make you feel better

The spot gives you route backup if you lose something and the GPS will give you additional ride documentation and a running average, time to go, miles to go that will give you mental planning assistance on the actual ride.

The comments given to you on your route were bang on, corners take more work to document. An out and back route might make things easier for you.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote