Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Tilting at Windmills Meandering Around Payson, AZ

Monday, March 23, 2015

Tonto NF Roads 209A and 209

As we returned from Payson, on an errand to pick up pain meds for Lois -- she dropped her phone Saturday night and when she went to pick it up she managed to smash her left eyeball into a kitchen chair, leaving us with a decision on whether or not to visit the ER but mutually agreeing to visit Urgent Care in Payson on Sunday morning -- she said, "You ought to go for a ride, it's beautiful out." I looked at her in the right eye, trying not to zoom in on the left that sported a bandage that extended from forehead to chin.

I said, "Well, I just might."

She hopped in bed to chill and I did the dishes and then decided a ride might not be a bad idea. I gave her the specifics on where I was heading (no Spot tracker yet) and got ready to go.

I had ridden Tonto NF Rd 209, taking off just north of Payson, AZ once before and got rejected maybe 30 yards north of Crackerjack Mine, heading up a rocky ascent when Red decided to hop sideways and point me off a narrow shelf. I got turned around and headed back home, tail tucked but otherwise none the worse for the wear. Nobody knew where I was that day and it felt foolish to push on. So, this time I planned to take the loop in the other direction and come down the rock strewn, rutted slope. Red had about 160 miles on the tank since the last fill-up so I skipped getting gas to keep us a little lighter. I'd fill up after the loop was completed, assuming we didn't get rejected again.

Made an attempt to get an on-the-fly shot at the Main Street sign. Failed. Got this instead.

Just head west on Main and keep going. It will eventually take you past Green Valley Park as it becomes Country Club Drive and then Doll Baby Ranch Road.

If you see a lone Canadian Goose out there, we delivered it there a couple months ago -- someone brought it to our house, injured, because we have chickens and geese so they figured we'd know what to do with it....you should have seen that goose swim after we turned it loose.

It's not long before the pavement quits.

Then resumes again. Those little water crossings would be no challenge for a street bike so don't let that deter you. If you're on a Goldwing, you probably should turn back after a bit.

This is a really fine road. Not many straight stretches. Four peaks in the distance, just over the cow's head.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

I like the look of this road.

The beautiful thing about AZ as opposed to TX is the landmarks on the horizon. I've become infatuated with naming the things I'm looking at in the distance. In the next frame you have, starting left and moving right, Four Peaks, Mt. Ord, and the Mazatal mountains.

You get past another short gravel section and the pavement picks back up for a little while.

So, here's what Red and I've been looking for, just 2 miles ahead. FR 209A.

But the deal is, well, this is kind of the end for the Goldwings, although I will admit to seeing some Wings in some unbelievable places -- and you don't want to come here after a heavy rain, just sayin'.

Once you get past the rutted, boggy area, the road improves.

I'm not sure what the "City Creek Trailhead," indicates, but on the left side of the road is a fantastic hiking trail that heads into the Mazatal Wilderness. Lois and I plodded along this barely distinguishable "trail" for about 4 miles not long ago and intend to come back. It's a sweetie.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Me and Red just kept going.

If things go wrong, it's a bit of a hike back out. We press on.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Stopped here for a second....

....to scout things out. The recent rains had some of the dry creeks running pretty good. Decided to give er' a go.

Crossed without incident. The far side was deep enough to allow water over the tops of my boots, and then there was a little rocky ascent just to keep things real.

It was a little bit of a brow sweater, and I was happy to be thumping along a ridgeline for a while. It was about 5 more miles until we would encounter the rocky slope that was waiting for us at Crackerjack Mine. The long-john bottoms and two shirts I was wearing under my mesh Gray Man suit were making themselves known but I knew they'd feel good once back on the highway.

Thump, thump, thump. Red's running like a top.

I'd been reading nuke24's RR,Traveling solo on the most unreliable dr650 in the world. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1047045

this morning and I started wondering, "what could go wrong about now?"

Looking back from whence we had come. That windmill/creek crossing is down there somewhere.

I stopped for a breather on this twisty, rocky road. Looking back at Mazatal.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 2,020
Nice ride.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

This is a

first and second gear ride for most of us. There aren't many straight stretches to be found. The road is filled with rocks, deep washes, and lots and lots of sharp curves and blind corners. It's no place to get in a rush....

....even though, next thing you know, you find yourself on an altogether different surface, just like that.

And then another. This is the top end of the section that rejected us a few months ago.

Here's a look back up.

Once at the bottom I found a concrete slab to park on. It's all that's left of Crackerjack Mine. I spent some time looking for trailings or some kind of indicator that a mine once existed here.

Nothing.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
Nice ride.
Really appreciate you're looking in, bluestar. There's a ton of great rides in this area and I hope to share them so that folks that are just passing through are aware of what's out there.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

I needed to pee

and found a good spot a few feet downward from the slab. I jumped down and nearly wet my pants getting all the layers located, opened or unzipped, and then finally, aaahhhhhhh.

....and I know when I say, "I know what you're thinking...", you've been there and done that. We've all done one version or another of the Tee Tee dance.

Relief.

Crazy as this seems, I turned around after zipping up and here was this...

I can't confirm that this is the entrance to Crackerjack Mine, but I'm gonna let myself think so until proven otherwise.

We took off heading eastward, now on 209, not 209A. It's a more used road; it's smooth but has many washed out spots that could catch you off guard. Just don't get caught gawking at the distractions because there are plenty of them.

We're heading over there. Thump, thump, thump.

Looking back as we realized time was running out, agian. Time. Gone.

Dang, the Cottonwoods are blooming already. An early spring.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Onward.

If you look closely at the previous photograph, you will see the leaves and stuff stuck on the limbs of the trees. From the recent, welcomed, river rise.

That log didn't land on that rock by accident, did it? Mother Nature is a crafty ole' gal, in my humble opinion.

I'd ridden this section before and knew we were getting towards the end.

Thump, thump.

Doubt you can read this sign, but it says, "Locked Gate Ahead." It's the back way out in case of flooding for East Verde Estates.

Approaching AZ 87, just north of Payson.

I took this picture not to demonstrate my riding skills on an obviously avoidable water hole, but rather to show off that Ponderosa Pine to the left of Red. This area around the Mogollon Rim is the world's largest stand of Ponderosa Pines.

Getting closer to AZ 87 and the end of today's ride.

It's easy to miss this spot, a little over a mile north of Payson, AZ, where FR 209 heads west.

I got gas in Payson and headed back up to Pine. Shortly after you pass the entrance to Tonto Natural Bridge SP, which is a super place to visit and go for a little hike, -- not to mention the steep, winding road that leads down to it -- I love looking eastward at the Mogollon Rim as it stretches to the horizon and knowing I've had the privilege to ride the Rim Road (FR 300) more than once.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
Sledred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Great pictures as usual and a fun looking ride! Thanks
Sledred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 353
Always a pleasant visit when AI shares his rides.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #12
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Looks like a fun ride. Thanks for sharing... I cant wait to explore over there!
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #13
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Looks like you get more rain there than you did in Wichita Falls. As for your peeing incident, a friend has a great saying. " It's hell to have 4 inches of clothing with a 3 inch..." You get the idea. Great roads around there.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #14
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledred View Post
Great pictures as usual and a fun looking ride! Thanks
Hey Sledred,

Thanks for looking in on a little ride that was less than 30 miles out our front door. It was a pretty day and I couldn't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingtazz View Post
Always a pleasant visit when AI shares his rides.
tazz,

I hope to do a bunch more local rides and stick them on this Day Trippin' report. I've been blessed to see so much in such a short time -- I just neglected to bring the camera along. Next time I'll head out with a purpose. That means I gotta' go back and ride all those roads again. Hope I'm up to the task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
Looks like a fun ride. Thanks for sharing... I cant wait to explore over there!
Hi muskeg,

You're not far from here and there's no excuse for not poking around on the road less traveled. Holler if you're in the area.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
Animal Instinct OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Looks like you get more rain there than you did in Wichita Falls. As for your peeing incident, a friend has a great saying. " It's hell to have 4 inches of clothing with a 3 inch..." You get the idea. Great roads around there.
Hey David,

Thanks for following along again. I know you're heading out this way before long. A RR is expected and you've already sort of suggested one may materialize. We'll all be waiting.

Tell your friend that experience has taught me to carry a magnifying lens for more than one reason.

I digress.

ps. Been reading everything I can find about General George Crook. Good stuff I would never have considered without your little nudge.

Thanks