Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowaystx View Post
I've really been enjoying your RR. I live in Philadelphia and went to school up in state college so I am pretty familiar with your stomping ground.

I have a quick question though that hopefully you will be able to answer for me. Myself and a couple of friends are considering playing hooky on friday and riding out for an overnight camping trip. We are looking in every direction from philadelphia - but after reading your thread I am now leaning west.

Can you recommend any good quiet (ideally scenic) campgrounds in that area? Perhaps even slightly east of Harrisburg? State parks are not interesting because (while we are all adults) there will be some beers consumed around the campfire.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. On a final note - you have some beautiful bikes.
Hey thanks for your comments!

Just a few notes on camping:

I've always camped either in PA's state parks, or in state forests on known turf- like along a creek near somebody's cabin, or someplace where I knew others had camped- so there was a fire ring at least.

In state parks, I've heard that
(unless it's incredibly crowded) it's easy to get away with a few beers- Keep the bottles/cans out of sight, and pour your beverage of choice into a coffee mug or any type of container in which it'll be impossible to identify from looking- unless you walk right up on it. If you're not drawing undue attention, it should be fine. It's easy to get a rough camping permit in state forests, but you gotta get to an office in working hours to sign up and pay the nominal fee. You could MAYBE do it online, now that it's the 21st Century?
Of course, you don't get any infrastructure at all- things like fire pits, grills, bathrooms... etc.

BUT, with a dual sport bike, you could get off a fire road, onto a two-track trail, and go far enough out of the public view, to do whatever you wanted, with no hassle other than
bears, snake bites, and ticks.
(oh my)

Pick a state forest nearby, download a map, and choose your spot- most dirt fire roads, bigger 2 track trails (some of which could be gated for legal seasonal usages), and foot trails should be pretty well marked on any DCNR map of the particular forest area.

One area with beautiful state park campgrounds I like is up near Wellsboro- at the PA "Grand Canyon". Colton Point, to the west, is the better of the two state park campgrounds out here. More rustic, with hike-in camp sites, no visitors center, and FAR fewer RVs, in my experience. Day hikes along the edge of the "canyon", more trails all around. Very quiet and mellow every time I was there. ALSO: Pine Creek outfitters is close by, if you wanted to book a day of canoeing Pine Creek, down thru the canyon. Pretty sweet if there's still plenty of water. I would advise against it during summer unless there's been a flood, hurricane, or plenty of rain.

The Endless Mountains region has a couple sweet parks, too.

Of course up that way, there are all kinds of private campgrounds- but none with such close proximity to the "canyon" - really just a deep, wooded gorge with Pine Creek running thru it.

Up around State College, in Penn's Valley (off PA route 45), there's Woodward Cave campgrounds... and plenty of state forest ground. The possibilities for rough camping in the woods are kind of endless, but unless you know someone with a cabin or lease, or know of a specific place to camp it's pretty much a needle/haystack deal.

That's why I've always utilized the awesome State Park system. Loads of campgrounds with plenty of infrastructure. AND it's cheap, with options out the yingyang, in all directions. Some even have cabins- rustic cabins or sometimes nicer ones with electricity, and some campgrounds have yurts.

Hope this is helpful.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #32
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Thank you - that's all good advice.

I think permit for Tate forest is only required if more than one night or more than 10 people. If anyone can confirm that it would be great.

Some of us are more comfortable than others off road. I think gravel and hard packed dirt would be fine, more than that likely out of the question. Primarily street bikes.

I'll keep looking around for places.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #33
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Cool2 06.25.2013

Recently, I had a good bit of work done on the Norton.

I bought this 1974 Norton 850 Commando several years ago. At the time, it had maybe 1000 miles on the rebuild. It was rebuilt by someone up in NY state, and the guy did a great job on the motor, but somehow there was lots he either missed, or didn't do. So, one thing has always led to another with the bike- IOW it has been a constant PIA. I had taken it down to North Carolina in May, to do a BritBike ride, and wound leaving it there for more work. Now, all the little things have been addressed, and there have also been some significant upgrades- new head steady, reed valves in the breather, some clutch and carb work, and perhaps one of the best, a modern H4 headlight kit. I took the bike out today to.... Well just cuz I could! Had a decent 90 miles or so, on some of my fave roads, and got back home before it got too hot out. Here's some pix of the ride. Well, OK- more of the BIKE than the ride...
sweet bike tho, no?
Enjoy!

Old 06-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #34
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

More pix of the Norton, on recent rides around South Central PA.
After the last post, I rode out for an evening with my buddy Deuce. He has a sweet old 72 Triumph Daytona.

Then yesterday, I was out again, and came across this SWEET vintage Porsche Speedster sitting outside a bar.
I was there on a "research project".

Yeah, right.

Speedo broke as I was noodling along! I guess I knew it was inevitable. A buddy has these COOL new speedo/tach instruments made to fit inside a vintage British case. Wireless, speedo has GPS drive, and functions galore- like Altimeter, avg speed, top speed, trip-o-meter, etc. something similar to THIS-

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/mo...peedo-rev.html

Only hopefully not as spendy!

ricochetrider screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 12:46 PM
Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #35
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 787
That's an awesome bike Tom...it's just sexy. Is your current speedo a Smiths magnetic? I repaired the one on my BSA if you're interested in taking it apart.
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
eeewwwwwwww that smell!

I can tell you ain't from the middle of nowhere, I grew up in the sticks, everytime that hits me I just want to head home!

Funny how different smells effect different people.

I use to deliver out that way for the place I work, I could move out there in a heartbeat! You're lucky to live in an area with such riding, ain't a helluva lot of that left in NJ.

Ride on, enjoying the RR, thanks for taking the time.

I love that Norton, takes me back, my stepdad had one when I was like 8, I think an 850. I don't know, or recall enough to say what model. I know it was sexy though!

slowpoke69 screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 11:11 AM
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #37
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Dredging up this old thread... Spring has sprung and it's time to RIDE.
Here's my first "Pennsyltuckey Noodlin" RR for 2014. Enjoy.

After months of working, this week looks like I'll actually have some own time. All the bikes have been sitting outside all winter, and the K1200 in particular was all crusty and nasty -with all of last summer's bug splatter & road grunge, PLUS this Spring's salt & muck. SO, I dragged out the hose, and put the medium buff on the old dog, and then sat and admired it for a few minutes, before going inside to get dressed for a ride.

But instead of cranking up the Big Beastie, I uncovered the Rock-n-Roll Norton. I'd kicked it over for the first time recently, and boy that effin thing took a LONG time and a LOT of kickin before it finally fired up, in fact I was so tuckered out that I didn't even ride it that day, just took it around the block. The next day I did get out on it for a shot around the BIG block- maybe about 30-40 miles?

Today, I uncovered it, feeling my knee, which I'd torqued somehow over the weekend, me being a rambunctious whippersnapper and all, dontcha know... but thought, well heck with it. No Pain, No Gain. I GOTTA ride this bike.

The sun was all shining on the bike, the temps were warm, I'd left the petcock on, and lo & behold, who'd a thunk it but the Norton fired up FIRST KICK.
I'm tellin ya I've owned this bike for quite some time now- maybe 6 years? In all that time, it has always taken multiple kicks, sometimes far too many to count. Well Heaven was smiling down on me, and cast her glow in the form of warm sunshine. I guess it was just pure magic- soon enough, I was riding up along the good ol Susquehanny, with the wind whistling thru my helmet.

I covered lots of ground, and rode some roads I haven't been on in a while- a mix of PA highways, and small bimblin roads. I flip-flopped back and forth over the North Mountain a few times, and followed it along the valley on either side before finally breaking off out into the valley proper. I jumped the ridge another time, then had a stop for lunch at a little honky-tonk gas station/store that now has 93 octane gasoline, where they only ever had mid-grade before! Woo hoo.

Then it was off down the valley along PA Hiway 75, back up over the same ridge on 274, and I raced against the wind to get back home. My speedo is broke, but I'm guessing I rode a rock solid 100 miles- maybe a few more than that. Thru the whole ride the bike ran like it was happy to be out. I rode like I was happy to be out, and had a lovely time scootin around the local roads.

Here's some pix:

at Lamb's Gap

Laughlin's Mill, Newville PA

A decrepit old bridge over the Conodoguinet Creek- there's literally thousands of miles of creeks and rivers in PA, with lots of beat-up old bridges. Slowly, the state is rebuilding these old beaters, one by one. This one's ready any time.

Couldn't resist this pic. Guess this is some old Mennonite Church out in the sticks. Love the gate and old iron fence. There was a small sign on the fencve to the right of this gate- it said "Reserved for Organist". I couldn't tell if it was parking space, or a grave site the sign was referrin' to.

Sittin' On Top O' The World- PA 641

The Boom Boom Burger

While I was eating, I had a phone call from a guy who was telling me my truck was finished- I'd had it in to have the sagging headliner replaced. Dude closed up shop at 1700, SO I hopped on the bike and boogied back home so as not to keep him- the kind old gent said he'd hang on for me for a few minutes, and I assured him I'd hurry... which I had to go home to get my checkbook- I'd asked him if I could give him my CC info over the phone, then he could just lock my keys into the truck for me... he was like "But they charge me for that!" So I said, OK, hang on. I'll do my best, and bring you a check, if that's OK.

When I got there, he was there waiting inside the shop, but unlocked the door for me as I walked up! I think it was 5:02, or something like that!

I MAY have *slightly* exceeded the speed limits on the way home...
But I'll deny everything in a court of law.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #38
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Another Norton ride out... Boring as fuck-all I know!

Anyway, someone on *another* forum (ahem!) asked "where do you live?" and guys are posting pix of their bikes in cool spots near their homes. I thought I'd join the fun. Admittdly, PA ain't QUITE as cool as Australia's southern coast, or Pacific Hiway route 1 in Northern Cali but HEY... whatchgwannado.
Ride whatcha got.
Post pix.
And so:

Where do I live?
I live here:

Attachments

Description: This our living room

Description: This the view up the Susquehanna River, across the street from our house.

Description: We are near Harrisburg- directly across the river from the city. There are 7- no, 6&1/2 bridges that cross the river. This the remaining half of the Walnut Street Bridge. The other half got demolished by ice. This is on the Harrisburg side of City Island.

Description: Harrisburg is in the Great Cumberland Valley- farmland USA. There are big farms, little farms, chicken farms, pig farms, Amish farms, and lots of organic farms.

Description: The valley has mountains on either side. This is the South Mountain- Laurel Lake @ Pine Grove Furnace State Park.

Description: There are wonderful deciduous forests all along the East Coast. In Northern PA, the Southern Forest and Northern Forest come together to create an exotic mix of hardwoods not found anywhere else on earth. Just beautiful.

Description: View from atop the South Mountain

Description: Great little double arch bridge over Big Spring Creek. Pennsylvania is home to some truly World Class trout streams. This is a freshwater spring so huge it forms its own stream. Big Spring runs several miles before spilling into the Conodoguinet Creek,

Description: Had to get this shot. Could be Palm Springs...?
Maybe Vegas... ? Somewhere exotic? Nope. Lil ol Newville PA's town square.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #39
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Nice photos from around the area. Always enjoying seeing pictures from around here.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #40
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Take It to The Bridge

Hey thanks man! Here's a few shots from around the Lisburn area along the Yellow Breeches.

Take it to the bridge! A more iconic line would be hard to find. Those immortal words by James Brown define funk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajzp...zpd-ONOdo#t=77

Taking inspiration from this I indeed "took it to the bridge".
"It" being my Norton, & "the bridge" being actually a couple different real live bridges over the Yellow Breeches Creek which runs all thru our lovely area before finally spilling into the Mighty Susquehanna River at New Cumberland. Would James Brown be proud? Who cares!

Theses bridges accurately represent America's crumbling infrastructure. One day they'll all be gone. Until then they remain potent reminders of days gone by; each one is a work of aged beauty in its own right.

Attachments

Description: Cool stone arch bridge at an old mill

Description: Riding along slowly, enjoying the summer air and greenery along this tiny lane.

Description: A really great iron bridge. Ornate and seemingly delicate, yet still Strong after all these years.

Description: A bit of B&W action

Description: Photo, arty, obligatory

Description: Plaque with the Story Of The Bridge

Description: More country lanes

Description: Nice!

Description: Fresh cut hay in the big round bales so common around here.

Description: One more of the Sheepford Road iron bridge

Last bridge of the day. Also along the Yellow Breeches. This is all located just a few short miles from my house. All pix taken with my iPhone 5s, edited in FotoLr, and posted via File Manager. Robert Plant of Led Zeppelein said, "Where's that confounded bridge?"

I got your bridge RIGHT HERE.
Pally.

Attachments

Description: Here's a great old crumbling bridge. There's so little traffic around here, it's not a problem at all to park, get off, and take the shot! Whee.

Description: Graceful double arches sweeping like the open wings of a Great Blue Heron.

Description: Mo B&W

Description: Descriptive Plaque

Description: Panorama coming off the Bridge Of Grace

Description: Newish wooden rail fence along another sweet little lane.

Description: The famous Yellow Breeches is a world class trout stream. A few dams can be found along its length but it's not the workhorse the Conodoguinet is.

Description: Tranquility. Study in Green.

Description: A view upstream.

Description: Down by the old mill stream. Ought a be a song there somewhere right?
Old 07-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #41
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 787
Beautiful pics Tom. If you ever want to get rid of that Norton, let me know!
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #42
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Josh View Post
Beautiful pics Tom.

Thanks Josh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Josh View Post
If you ever want to get rid of that Norton, let me know!
Nice try pal!

I'd sell just about any of my bikes. But the Norton's a keeper... It's really pretty much a one-off, so it's not like I could go get another like it. I keep thinking I'd buy another Triumph if the right one presented itself...

NAH!

Well... MAYBE!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 AM   #43
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Thumb

Great shots so close to my house, one of your photos was only 2 turns away. The next time your're riding over the Timmon's Mountain on Rt. 641 stop by the vineyard on the mountain just after the truck route split. I'll roll out my R25 for a ride.
Denny Mann is offline   Reply With Quote