Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,674
Something new in the garage. 2000 XR-650R

But......Not mine. At least not yet.

What is this doodad coming off the hub? Factory speedo? The bike has a Vapor computer/speedo on it with what is an alleged dead battery.

Anyway, a friend wants me to buy the bike, so he told me to take it for a month or so and get to know it. He wants 2K. After checking the bike out, I think it's too much. The bike needs a chain and maybe sprockets. There is not a clean chunk O' plastic on the bike. It's been used, but I would not say abused. It needs better bars, grips, maybe a better seat, a good headlight and several other things to make it something I would feel OK owning.

The carb is hosed at the moment. It runs OK on full choke (enrichment?) but stumbles in the off position. Probably a dirty pilot jet or something. The bike has balls. It sounds solid and can really get up and move.

That aside, it feels so much smaller than my 640 Adv that I think it would be a fun bike for local rides. It's also a friggin wheelie machine.

Also, the idea of a set of supermoto wheels and some track days is really tempting.

Comments, opinions, hate mail, etc. Please tell me what you think.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 804
obviously they are great bikes. I would say that price is a bit high unless you are in CA where plates dirtbikes are worth more, or Ecuador where that is worth about 5k!
Carbs are really simple on that bike. Right side footpeg will break off if you ride hard. that little nipple is the factory odo and there is a part you can buy that replaces that side bearing cover that does not engage the gears in the hub for turning the odo.
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,490
That copper Hayabusa puts the happy in my pants...

Sorry for the small threadjack, SC.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,390
While obviously not $2k, I think you'd enjoy a KTM 690 Enduro R more.

Grips are $16. The stock bars and seat are fine, and easily upgraded. If you are changing the chain, do the sprockets too. Turn signals aren't required in Arizona? $2k sounds like a decent start point for negotiations.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
That copper Hayabusa puts the happy in my pants...

Sorry for the small threadjack, SC.

I do love that Busa. It's been simply modded. Suspension upgrades, pipe, air cleaner. I'm doing the brakes soon. It's a good machine for eating up the miles.

S.C.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
While obviously not $2k, I think you'd enjoy a KTM 690 Enduro R more.
While I would not disagree, where can I find one for 2K or less? This bike is something of a possible project.

Quote:
Grips are $16. The stock bars and seat are fine, and easily upgraded.
Not fine for me. I'm not comfortable on the bike. I'm 6'6".

Quote:
If you are changing the chain, do the sprockets too. Turn signals aren't required in Arizona? $2k sounds like a decent start point for negotiations.
I'd like to get him down to $1,500. The bike is a little worn, but still solid.

S.C.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,835
Hard to value a bike on the web. But, the big picture is that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. A good runner in my market for 2-large$ = fairly good deal. They are somewhat unique in that Honda didn't make them for very long. My motto is, "parts and service is everything after the sale" Meaning, after you buy it, you gotta live with it. Check part prices and availability and look into after market support and make your decision from there. Sound like your a big guy, off road bikes that will carry a 6.6' dood around and still loft the front end and chuck some roost are not that common. Throw in Honda build quality and......phuckit, I talked myself into it... buy the damn thing.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
But......Not mine. At least not yet.

What is this doodad coming off the hub? Factory speedo? The bike has a Vapor computer/speedo on it with what is an alleged dead battery.

Anyway, a friend wants me to buy the bike, so he told me to take it for a month or so and get to know it. He wants 2K. After checking the bike out, I think it's too much. The bike needs a chain and maybe sprockets. There is not a clean chunk O' plastic on the bike. It's been used, but I would not say abused. It needs better bars, grips, maybe a better seat, a good headlight and several other things to make it something I would feel OK owning.

The carb is hosed at the moment. It runs OK on full choke (enrichment?) but stumbles in the off position. Probably a dirty pilot jet or something. The bike has balls. It sounds solid and can really get up and move.

That aside, it feels so much smaller than my 640 Adv that I think it would be a fun bike for local rides. It's also a friggin wheelie machine.

Also, the idea of a set of supermoto wheels and some track days is really tempting.

Comments, opinions, hate mail, etc. Please tell me what you think.

S.C.
The piece off of the axle is for the trip counter / speedometer. All you will need to do with the carb is probably clean/rebuild it... My buddy had the same thing happen with his KTM.

Also saw that you are thinking of getting sumo wheels.... I got a set for my XRL and love them...

Plastics are cheap, so don't let that put you off the bike. All in all nice bike!!

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the input. The owner is in Germany for three weeks, so I'll take tha time to see if I can live with the bike.

S.C.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 804
now that i noticed you live in wickenburg I think you should reevaluate and get a ktm 300 smoker, put some trials tires on and get out to the vulture mine area for some of that sweet single track!
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,014
I agree with above post, why get another bike that's so similar to one you already have? It is true that the BRP has arm-jerking torque, but a 250/300 2-smoke will wheelie pretty well too. Used Jap 250's can be found everywhere for $1500. OR how about a CR500 sumo?

Where is off_the_grill ?
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
now that i noticed you live in wickenburg I think you should reevaluate and get a ktm 300 smoker, put some trials tires on and get out to the vulture mine area for some of that sweet single track!
Mike
That's a possibility, but I'd look pretty silly on a 250 smoker.

I just have always liked the 650. We'll see.

S.C.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
I agree with above post, why get another bike that's so similar to one you already have? It is true that the BRP has arm-jerking torque, but a 250/300 2-smoke will wheelie pretty well too. Used Jap 250's can be found everywhere for $1500. OR how about a CR500 sumo?
A CR sumo would be cool.

Quote:
Where is off_the_grill ?
Apparently St. Louis.

http://www.offthegrill.com/

Glad I could help.

S.C.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
I'm 6'6" too and love my XRR. Try some high ATV bend bars, but if it still has the stock triple clamp, you'll need to go aftermarket to move them forward.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,138
Hey Scott.

It looks like it has some high bend bars. I have some on mine plus a 2" riser.

You could get some rox risers to raise em up. If you go more than I did you will need to get longer cables. I would recommend a steering dampner too if you are going to do any sand.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote