Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #136
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpo83 View Post
you are a little late to the party kyns, the topic was committing to turn 3 at Phillip Island, not sliding the bike in general..

Nope, not late... The party started on post #127 aand i was right there at the party....

Aaaand it was indeed about others than Stoner sliding allso... in general.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #137
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
Aaaand it was indeed about others than Stoner sliding allso... in general.
Indeed it was. And there are many of them.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #138
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
I don't have to "believe" anything, I was watching it with my own eyes in 1000 fps. Hell, even Bautista slid through.

Stoner had the pace this weekend, but when people speak the way they do about his slides, I start wondering if they've watched any race before 2011.. Look up a certain McCoy, just as one example of someone who's hella more spectacular.
So was i, and NO ONE "attacked" turn 3 like Stoner, if there is so much evidence, post some pics or vids, i was there on Friday and at home on Sunday, i didn't mention slides in any of my comments, it was all about commitment.

I Don't need to "lookup" Mr Squiggle, i have been watching MotoGP since the mid 80's, Gary and many other riders before slid bikes, no one is doubting that, hell watch Moto2!!!

If you are so blinded that you can't see anything special in the way Stoner rides, then i feel sorry for you. Jeez i'm not asking you to profess undying love for the guy, just show him a little respect...

Watching Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Stoner for the past 2 seasons has been a thing of beauty, 3 guys on the absolute limit pushing each other, sure there has been little passing, that doesn't diminish the spectacle for me,

Friday morning even Speezah, was commenting about Stoner and his style, all i'm going to say is that he is unique, it is a pity that the politics and the off track aspects of what passes for racing these days has brought the series to where it is today, this is supposed to be the best guys on the best bikes, and if a few of them are aliens, then that is a wonderful thing, it shows us all what is possible, soon MotoGP will be nothing more than a spectacle for the McDonalds generation who want a quick fix....

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #139
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:

Friday morning even Speezah, was commenting about Stoner and his style, all i'm going to say is that he is unique
Even the guys he's racing against say the same thing! I posted a while back asking if anyone could "see" the few 10ths per lap difference in his riding. I think I can sometimes. They're all incredible and have their own styles, but Stoner is a step above; an A+.
I wish he was staying next year, to race Rossi, Jorge and Danni.

Cheers,
Erik
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #140
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,552
I was at Laguna the last year Stoner was on the Ducati and trackside you could see how much harder he was riding than anyone else with the exception of Rossi.

None of these guys are shabby but Stoners commitment on the brakes into turn five compared to Hayden on the same bike was stunning and clear to see. TV doesn't capture the comparative sense of effort you get trackside.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #141
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
....Friday morning even Speezah, was commenting about Stoner and his style, all i'm going to say is that he is unique, it is a pity that the politics and the off track aspects of what passes for racing these days has brought the series to where it is today, this is supposed to be the best guys on the best bikes, and if a few of them are aliens, then that is a wonderful thing, it shows us all what is possible, soon MotoGP will be nothing more than a spectacle for the McDonalds generation who want a quick fix....
I wish you were wrong. But, I'm concerned you might be right. I've been watching since the mid-80's also. Sure seems it used to be more wide open with the rules (or, at least less rules and less constant changing) and racing was what it was all about. All the politics and constant changes and progressive clamping down on what's allowed, just seems to be spoiling the show.

I'll still get that MotoGP.com subscription for next year though.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #142
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I was at Laguna the last year Stoner was on the Ducati and trackside you could see how much harder he was riding than anyone else with the exception of Rossi.

None of these guys are shabby but Stoners commitment on the brakes into turn five compared to Hayden on the same bike was stunning and clear to see. TV doesn't capture the comparative sense of effort you get trackside.
Truth is i dont think Stoner could get the current Ducati to work - its a pig. Rossi spent all day Saturday on the thing only just managing to beat the CRT's who are not that far removed from a Production Bikes considering the amount of tuning / changes allowed to them, qualifying time ...

My ears also tell me the Moto3's at full noise are louder thant he Moto big boys
Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #143
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis View Post
Truth is i dont think Stoner could get the current Ducati to work - its a pig....
Fair call, from my spot I could see and hear the thing just not working you can only ride around so many problems. All the teams made improvements over the weekend to the Ducs, but they where still second rate. Nicky was trying hard to ride around the problems, Karel Abraham rode well, Rossi looked like he was just doing enough to stay ahead of the other Ducs, while Hector just didn't really get the thing going.

Really hope they can get it together, but I don't think it will happen.
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #144
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If you are so blinded that you can't see anything special in the way Stoner rides, then i feel sorry for you. Jeez i'm not asking you to profess undying love for the guy, just show him a little respect...
I am. I'm just not blindly putting him up among the very greatest, because he doesn't belong there. The fact that he's a whiney bitch just makes him less likeable, not a worse rider. It seems you people are second only to the English when it comes to blind praise for your home guys. Oh, wait, I see why..

Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #145
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post

I remember watching Hayden and Stoner at Laguna too. Coming up the hill to the Corkscrew, Stoner's bike sounded angry, charging up the hill with the front tire in the air or skimming the track the whole way up. Hayden's bike sounded flat, lifeless, and the front was seemingly glued to the track. Every lap. Stoner, of course, was a lot faster. Technically, the difference between the two was obviously electronic settings. But why was Hayden running so much more interference? He had access to Stoner's data and settings, so he knew the difference. He just couldn't ride the bike the way Stoner did.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 AM   #146
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,332
I'm sure Rossi and many others would give their left testicle to find out, what exactly Stoner did on the Duc, that made him so fast.

But maybe it is actually something, that either is in you, or isn't, but cannot really be learnt (at least as long as they don't make some fundamental changes to the bike)? There have been other very, very good riders on that bike (in fact there is right now), but they are all struggling, and not much seems to change. Same thing been going on for at least 5 years now.

On the other hand, I believe Stoner himself would not challenge for many race wins or world title with the current Ducati. There were reasons, why he left.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 03:48 AM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #147
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
I am. I'm just not blindly putting him up among the very greatest, because he doesn't belong there. The fact that he's a whiney bitch just makes him less likeable, not a worse rider. It seems you people are second only to the English when it comes to blind praise for your home guys. Oh, wait, I see why..
He is a very very rare talent.Your opinion of his personality traits have no bearing on the matter.He undeniably belongs amongst the greatest.He may not be finished with motogp yet
Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #148
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
He is a very very rare talent.Your opinion of his personality traits have no bearing on the matter.He undeniably belongs amongst the greatest.He may not be finished with motogp yet
So far he doesn't, as we discussed in the other thread. If he returns and improves his record, then I may revisit that opinion. Has nothing to do with his personality.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #149
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,063
Stoner Slides at Indy Too....

Quote:
Indeed it was. And there are many of them.
Last two Indy races I watched from the top deck over turn one where I could sight down the short chute to turn two. Casey Stoner was the only rider who could keep his front tire on the inside paint so he could sweep turn two. Everybody else would end up about 5 feet off the paint or worse. The Ducs just wobbled wide or even ran off.

He was able to keep to the paint by spinning up on a late apex, allowing the motorcycle to turn tighter. It was a definite slide he repeated every lap of every dry session. It gave him a significant advantage. Pedrosa was better than 2011 in that turn, but not quite as slick as Stoner.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #150
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
So far he doesn't, as we discussed in the other thread. If he returns and improves his record, then I may revisit that opinion. Has nothing to do with his personality.
Strange that Doohan has stated that he regards Stoner in the top four riders he's seen. But heh, what would he know ?
MOLAHS is offline   Reply With Quote